Alpha 3 on a D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWinston

Reaction score
Estes Alpha III on an Estes D motor. Will it fly? I'm not worried about getting it back :wink:

Put an Aerotech D10-7 in it.....and it will go and go..... If you're thinking 24mm D I'd check stability (not to mention arranging that the way the Alpha III goes together would be "interesting").

An Estes D will not fit into a stock Alpha 3, and modifying it will not be easy. As mentioned above, you could use an Aerotech D10. Or use a D21 teleportation module to send it into another dimension.

An Alpha III modified to use 24mm Estes D motors will probably be marginally stable, if not fully unstable, and require nose weight to fly safely.

Modifying the Alpha III to fit the Estes D's would require extensive cutting and jury-rigging tube junctions, etc etc., enough so that fairly early on in the process (about 15 seconds) the question should occur to you, "I am an idiot for putting this kind of effort into a rocket I am never going to see again."

I call it the "D21 Salute" when they reach the end of their "service life" I guess you could say, They get an Aerotech D21, A final salute, and off into low earth orbit they go.

Never to be seen again !

Just a quick sim shows that you are looking at about 50gm in the nose tip to make it stable.... Oh, and 1900ft.....

Back