Percent Impulse Calculation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory

Reaction score
I maintain a spreadsheet with different rocketry related calculators for my personal use for things like proper port diameter, BP sizing, and thrust-weight ratio. I have seen several places where the impulse is expressed as a percentage of the letter designation i.e. a 320 N/sec motor is expressed as "100%-H". I would like to incorporate this into my spreadsheet, but I am not as good at math as I would like to be and am stumped. I have attached the tab in the spreadsheet I am trying to incorporate this into. The formula I am working is cell J2. Currently it is as follows:

(Actual Impulse*100)/Maximum Impulse of Letter Designation

This isn't correct as inputting 160 N/sec yields a solution of 50%-H (instead of 1%-H). I have tried many different variations, but I do not know how to make a percentage adjustment when a number greater than zero is zero :confused:.

Also, notice I just use several different points of thrust-weight ratio. How would you calculate the precise thrust-weight ratio if you know the impulse@ liftoff and the rocket weight?

I really enjoy working with rocketry data, so any advice and suggestions are much appreciated.
View attachment QUESTION.xlsx

I maintain a spreadsheet with different rocketry related calculators for my personal use for things like proper port diameter, BP sizing, and thrust-weight ratio. I have seen several places where the impulse is expressed as a percentage of the letter designation i.e. a 320 N/sec motor is expressed as "100%-H". I would like to incorporate this into my spreadsheet, but I am not as good at math as I would like to be and am stumped. I have attached the tab in the spreadsheet I am trying to incorporate this into. The formula I am working is cell J2. Currently it is as follows:

(Actual Impulse*100)/Maximum Impulse of Letter Designation

This isn't correct as inputting 160 N/sec yields a solution of 50%-H (instead of 1%-H). I have tried many different variations, but I do not know how to make a percentage adjustment when a number greater than zero is zero :confused:.

Change the formula to:

100 * (p - p_min) / p_min

p ... actual impulse
p_min ... lower limit of impulse range (eg. 160Ns for a 'H')

Reinhard

I know I'm probably just "splitting hairs"... But I always understood 160ns to be 100% of a "G" motor. :)

Since motors are graded on a logarithmic scale, I would think it would be:

%_of_class = 100*(log2(J/J_ref)-CEILING(log2(J/J_ref))+1)

Where:
J is impulse
J_ref is the reference impulse for an A motor (2.5N-s in SI)

The "CEILING(log2(J/J_ref)" part gives the class where 0 is an A and so forth.

Last edited:
No, by convention the % Impulse scale is linear as Reinhard posted in post 2 of this thread.

As pointed out in the examples, a 100% G = 160 Ns = 0% H.

Bob

Since motors are graded on a logarithmic scale, I would think it would be:

%_of_class = 100*(log2(J/J_ref)-CEILING(log2(J/J_ref))+1)

Where:
J is impulse

The "CEILING(log2(J/J_ref)" part gives the class where 0 is an A and so forth.

As much as that makes sense and is more accurate, I believe the simpler way is understood to be prevailing convention and for the most part is "close enough" to be useful.

Greg

No, by convention the % Impulse scale is linear as Reinhard posted in post 2 of this thr

As pointed out in the examples, a 100% G = 160 Ns = 0% H.

Yeah, but the sad thing is that 160 Ns is *not* "0% of an H". It's 50% of an H.

*0* Ns is 0% of an H.

I know when this got started -- one of the team members at TMT came to me with this approach back in the spring of 1994 (and the first incidence of this in the hobby, IIRC) -- and I always thought that it really didn't make much sense (and I still feel that way). I tried to talk him out of it, but to no avail. Now it's stuck and I would suppose it would be easier to reduce the CO2 content of our atmosphere to 200ppm than it would to roll back to the days when motor testing results made sense.

Practically everyone can recall from memory the full impulse of each class (i.e. H=320, I=640, J=1280, etc) and it seems trivial to simply take the tested impulse and divide by that full impulse value and that is your 'percentage' value (which is truly what it is). Practically no one can recall (without doing some math) what half of an impulse class value would be.

Let's see -- this motor tested out at 700 Ns -- so, that's more than an 'I' (640) and less than a 'J' (1280), so we take 'J' (1280) and subtract 'I' (640) leaving 640 - which we subtract from 700 -- leaving 60 that we then divide by that same 'half impulse' value of 640 - resulting in some number (???) that we then call 10% J.

Is that about it??? :y:

(If I made a mistake in this 'algorithm' (not altogether unlikely) and you point it out to me, I'm only going to come back and say, "See, you just made my point!!")

:facepalm:

Answer me this: did you folks just set out to make this thing as confusing as possible? You succeeded.

700 Ns is 55% of a J. You know how I got that? I took 700Ns (which it is) and divided by 1280 Ns (which a J is). "We don't need no shtinking PhDs is Math to figure this out!!!" To top it off, you can divide it by 320Ns and call it a 219% H and that works just as well <shaking head>.

There's just no way in Hades I can look at "10% J" and get "700Ns" out of it (again, without some math). 10% of 1280Ns is 128Ns -- that is something I learned in, oh, about 4th grade.

You know, it could be even simpler -- just drop this damn neurosis of % values and call the dang motor a (gasp) *700 Ns* motor.

I gotta add another one.... :facepalm:

<sigh>

-- john.

Last edited:
Sorry John, but the accepted definition is as I described it, regardless of how illogical you may think it is.

The span of an H motor is 160 Ns ranging from 160 Ns to 320 Ns. Since the 100% span is 160 Ns, 1% of the span is an increment of 1.6 Ns.

TI = TI,min+ %span * Span Range. For H motors, TI = 160 Ns + %H * 160 Ns.

Bob

Sorry John, but the accepted definition is as I described it,

"accepted definition"

That explains a lot, doesn't it? Just remember, there was a time when it wasn't 'accepted' and, standing at that crossroads, a choice was made. Oh, that we could ponder these decisions and reflect on the wisdom of them BEFORE they become chiseled in stone - because, once made, humans have a difficult time 'backing up'. Think about that as our planetary CO2 levels rush onward to 450 or 500 ppm. There's a lot of 'backing up' coming. Trust me.

Where's a good sledgehammer when you need one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA

-- john.

*0* Ns is 0% of an H.

I know when this got started -- one of the team members at TMT came to me with this approach back in the spring of 1994 (and the first incidence of this in the hobby, IIRC) -- and I always thought that it really didn't make much sense (and I still feel that way). I tried to talk him out of it, but to no avail. Now it's stuck and I would suppose it would be easier to reduce the CO2 content of our atmosphere to 200ppm than it would to roll back to the days when motor testing results made sense.

Practically everyone can recall from memory the full impulse of each class (i.e. H=320, I=640, J=1280, etc) and it seems trivial to simply take the tested impulse and divide by that full impulse value and that is your 'percentage' value (which is truly what it is). Practically no one can recall (without doing some math) what half of an impulse class value would be.

Let's see -- this motor tested out at 700 Ns -- so, that's more than an 'I' (640) and less than a 'J' (1280), so we take 'J' (1280) and subtract 'I' (640) leaving 640 - which we subtract from 700 -- leaving 60 that we then divide by that same 'half impulse' value of 640 - resulting in some number (???) that we then call 10% J.

Is that about it??? :y:

(If I made a mistake in this 'algorithm' (not altogether unlikely) and you point it out to me, I'm only going to come back and say, "See, you just made my point!!")

:facepalm:

Answer me this: did you folks just set out to make this thing as confusing as possible? You succeeded.

700 Ns is 55% of a J. You know how I got that? I took 700Ns (which it is) and divided by 1280 Ns (which a J is). "We don't need no shtinking PhDs is Math to figure this out!!!" To top it off, you can divide it by 320Ns and call it a 219% H and that works just as well <shaking head>.

There's just no way in Hades I can look at "10% J" and get "700Ns" out of it (again, without some math). 10% of 1280Ns is 128Ns -- that is something I learned in, oh, about 4th grade.

You know, it could be even simpler -- just drop this damn neurosis of % values and call the dang motor a (gasp) *700 Ns* motor.

I gotta add another one.... :facepalm:

<sigh>

-- john.

I agree. The convention never made sense to me.

Maybe we should use one system for motors and another for engines.

That could probably work, but then we'd have to come up with some nomenclature to help distinguish them...

700 Ns = E10% J = M55% J

????

"Was that an E10% J in your rocket?"
"No, it was a M55% J."
"Oh, well that explains it, then - sure looked to fly higher today."
"Well, 'M' is greater than 'E', right?"

<and then that light bulb symbol comes on over the Marketing Dept.>

????

<oh, good grief> :facepalm:

Don't give 'em any ideas, Thirsty... please!!

:)

-- john.

Last edited:

*0* Ns is 0% of an H.

But, that's not what's being described. Referring to a 240Ns H motor as a "50% H" means a motors that is "50% (half-way) in the H range" not "50% of an H."

The scale is from the smallest (0%) to largest (100%) motor with the same letter designation.

Your way would only use 50% to 100% - i.e. a 50% of an H would be the same as a 100% of a G. That seems more confusing and less useful.

But ... if you must, it's easy to convert:

yourway = ourway / 2 + 50

-- Roger

Last edited:
But, that's not what's being described. Referring to a 240Ns H motor as a "50% H" means a motors that is "50% (half-way) in the H range" not "50% of an H."

The scale is from the smallest (0%) to largest (100%) motor with the same letter designation

Noooo! :eyepop:

(as a serious observation: "your" 50% H actually has 75% of the impulse of a full H.)

THAT's the point.

jadebox said:
Your way would only use 50% to 100% - i.e. a 50% of an H would be the same as a 100% of a G.

Well, dang! Such a waste. Hasn't '50% of an H' always been the same as '100% of a G'? Did you folks redefine what a Newton is since I've been away?

At least 'my' way (?) doesn't require an IBM System/370 to figure out - a simple 99c '4 banger' would do (and most could do it in their head).

All the more reason to do away with the whole mess --- too wasteful -- too many unused numbers. :)

(You've just identified another reason <g> (but don't think that you thought of it first)).

... and, no, I understand that 'your' way uses ALL the numbers and 'my' way 'wastes' (?) fully half of them. The 'reason' lies in the fact that an argument like this could somehow even be considered logical.

jadebox said:
That seems more confusing and less useful.

You know, Jesus got the same reception (to his 'new way') - and look what it got him.

(Don't misunderstand, there's no messianic logic working here -- I'm not trying to start some 'new religion' - it isn't "MY" way - just 'simple' logic (and a recognition of the logical disconnect when one says (with a straight face): "This is a 50% H motor. It has 75% of the power of a H motor."))

jadebox said:
But ... if you must, it's easy to convert:

yourway = ourway / 2 + 50

-- Roger

Oh, there's an easier way than that.

-- john.

On a serious note:

This 'system' (?) has two items of information -- a percentage value (10%) and a motor impulse class (J) (to use my example from earlier). If you stopped 100 people on the street and showed them a 'J' motor, told them that represented 1280 Ns. Then, show them a smaller motor and say this is a "10% J" - so "how many Ns do you think is in this one?", I would venture to guess 95 (or more) of them would say "128 Ns". What this 'system' (?) is really doing is tying the impulse value to the motor class BELOW the one referenced (i.e. 'I' in this case) - in effect, saying that this motor is 10% ABOVE the maximum impulse value of 'class - 1'. If you were to say this is a 110% I, you'd be far closer to something that would represent the actual power of the motor in question (but still be ever so slightly wrong) - and it wouldn't involve algebra to figure out -- just (as Bill Clinton once said), "It's simple - it's called arith-me-tic."

But when one presents two pieces of information (to describe this motor): "10%" and "J", the mind will logically try to connect those two pieces of info -- and that simply cannot be done - without an intensely convoluted effort of mental gymnastics - which simply strikes me as irrational. Like I initially posited: "Did you folks just set out to make this thing as confusing as possible? You succeeded."

So, you 'waste' fully half of the numbers (between 0 and 100). So what?!?!? What (unwritten) law says you have to use ALL these numbers?? (Why not just adopt 'micro-percents', then you have a full million numbers to play with). :facepalm:

'Confusing'? Well, with 15 or 20 years of 'drinking this Kool-Aid', I guess it does seem that way. Like I noted in my 2nd reply to Bob -- there was a time (of which I know precisely that time - April (+-) 1994) when all of this was nothing more than a small discussion within a motor testing group -- and it was at THAT time that consideration of alternatives was most warranted (because I was one individual that presented an alternative... THEN) - and, maybe even, putting forth more than one choice on the table to let the hobby at large banter about the merits (or lack) of the choices available and decide. But, in a hobby noted for, "This is the decision - we (the leaders) have already decided - and you folks just *deal* with it," you will also be noted for several things that simply qualify as nothing more than irrational.

It will be the way it is -- but that isn't something folks should be too proud of - because it reveals a rigidity in thinking (and inability to review, think again, and revise) that is...

... well, "scary".

This little item is trivial and hardly worth (even) the words I've written on it - but that same mental rigidity has had far more profound consequences, even in this hobby.

-- jhc.

Last edited:
Noooo! :eyepop:

(as a serious observation: "your" 50% H actually has 75% of the impulse of a full H.)

-- jhc.

Maybe I am confused, but the formula suggested by Reinhard does exactly what I want: calculate what percent of a given letter designation is represented by the total impulse of an input motor. Such that inputting 240.05 N/sec yields 49.9%-H (320-160.1=159.9.....159.9/2=79.95......160.1+79.95=240.05 or half of the total impulse of a "H" motor) View attachment TAB 3.xlsx

Close enough for my uses. I don't make a point of asking any random person on the street their opinion of my motors total percent impulse so I should be fine. :wink::duck:

so 240 is half of 320 ? and 2+2=3 ? good thing I have no use of this % crap to launch a rocket.

:lol:I understand the sentiment, but 240 is half of a H range motor. As noted "%crap" isn't necessary to launch a rocket, but I find knowing abstract things such as %Impulse of a given motor range adds to the enjoyment of my personal launches.

I suppose it may be useful to chart % of legally obtainable motors. So I am an L2 which qualifies me to fly up to a 5120 n/sec motor, so that a motor with 2560 n/sec impulse would be =50% or 512 n/sec=10%.....I find this less enjoyable :pc:

"accepted definition"
FWIW, I agree - I find it unscientific. I understand it. But I just find it lacking.

That said, we ain't never gonna get that genie back in the bottle. So I'm saving my chits for another day :)

Doug

:lol:I understand the sentiment, but 240 is half of a H range motor.
No, it's halfway between halfway and all the way, but it ain't half an H. If you called it a 50% H, we'd understand that, since we are familiar with the terminology. But calling it a half an H...well, that's a G, no?
If you're standing 10 feet from the wall, and then jump to halfway there, to 5 feet away, and then jump halfway again, to 2.5 feet, and keep doing that progression, how many jumps does it take to get to the wall?

Doug

Last edited:
No, it's halfway between halfway and all the way, but it ain't half an H.
If you're standing 10 feet from the wall, and then jump to halfway there, to 5 feet away, and then jump halfway again, to 2.5 feet, and keep doing that progression, how many jumps does it take to get to the wall?

Doug

I appreciate the thought experiment. It clarifies the side of the debate which you seem to be in agreement. I will attempt to add the formula as quoted above where
"%_of_class = 100*(log2(J/J_ref)-CEILING(log2(J/J_ref))+1)

Where:
J is impulse

The "CEILING(log2(J/J_ref)" part gives the class where 0 is an A and so forth."

but I am not sure I understand how exactly, specifically logarithms and what units to convert to (SI). Good thing Excel is way smarter than me!

No, it's halfway between halfway and all the way, but it ain't half an H.

Thanks - I understand it now. :)

plano-doug said:

About 'half' the number of years it would take to straighten this whole mess out (regardless of the solution ultimately chosen).

Of course, I could be 'half' wrong. :)

plano-doug said:
That said, we ain't never gonna get that genie back in the bottle.

Oh, there's a simpler solution than that...

... shoot the genie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

:)

-- john (all this in jest, naturally).

110%

[video=youtube_share;Pz3KpY5lrRc]https://youtu.be/Pz3KpY5lrRc[/video]

Last edited:
I agree with only 50% of half of the accepted method.

To be clear, it's the second half.

That's what I like - a man who can 'enunciate with lucidity' (as my college English professor used to say).

I'm going to leave this discussion with two questions for those who are of a mind to ponder on:

1) You build a cluster vehicle and fly it with 2 - 50% H motors. Is that a 'full H'? (50+50=100, right?)

It would seem that one very practical reason for adopting a 'system' such as this would be to simplify things and reduce workloads on the range. With that premise, consider the following:

2) As RSO, a Level 1 flyer presents his vehicle to you for flight - a 4 motor cluster with 2 - 15% I (diametrically opposed) and 2 - 35% I motors. Similar to the above, should we conclude that 15+15+35+35 = 100 (the limit of this flyer's certification level - 'full I')? Is the installed impulse in keeping with his certification? -- and, if not, how large is the error (from what a simple, common sense assessment of that 'addition problem' would suggest)? Additionally, if not, then the purpose of this 'system' (of quantifying motor power ranges) is what?

I've said enough,

-- john.

2) As RSO, a Level 1 flyer presents his vehicle to you for flight - a 4 motor cluster with 2 - 15% I (diametrically opposed) and 2 - 35% I motors. Similar to the above, should we conclude that 15+15+35+35 = 100 (the limit of this flyer's certification level - 'full I')? Is the installed impulse in keeping with his certification? -- and, if not, how large is the error (from what a simple, common sense assessment of that 'addition problem' would suggest)? Additionally, if not, then the purpose of this 'system' (of quantifying motor power ranges) is what?

The purpose appears to be to drive a few people batty. I think it's working well, in that regard. :)

As an RSO, I'd never use the percentage information. To be honest, as a flier I rarely pay any attention to it.

-Kevin

Back