RMS Cleaning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Clean Does YOUR RMS Need to Be (Post Flight)?

• You can clean these things?

• If I can get the next liner in that's good enough

• Well I did pay good $$ for them so I like to take care of them.

• They should shine like new

• I think it is appalling how filthy they are straight from the manufacturer, I can do much better

Results are only viewable after voting.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
Just a fun poll to check for our average level of anal retentiveness

So, when you clean a motor after firing, how clean does it have to be?

If you clean them..they will fly!

If you don't like cleaning them, then buy single use!

773.JPG

Cleaning the motors for Tom Binford's Upscale deuce. I am the one to send motors to (made $40 something last Freedom Launch... :p)

I'm a mix between fit the liner in and I pay good money. I never clean mine right away, some have things that will not clean off short of a cylinder hone. Others clean up pretty well, fast. Most have one bad spot on the inside that seems permanent.

I clean them at the launch or the next day. I make sure and get any residue out, even if I have to us a green scotchbrite.

Steve Shannon
Prefect - Tropoli Montana
L3CC, NAR Montana.

I usually clean mine as soon as I can. If they land close and I find them right away I like to clean them as soon as they are cool enough as some residue seems to clean up easier when warm.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'm with the "clean right away" crowd; it seems a lot easier to clean right after use (out at the launch site). I used to use baby wipes and Simple Green, but now I prefer the Lyson Dual Action wipes.

That said, I'm happy to see Aerotech offering more and more single-use motors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually clean mine as soon as I can. If they land close and I find them right away I like to clean them as soon as they are cool enough as some residue seems to clean up easier when warm.
Funny you should mention that.. I have a 24/40 case that I didn't clean up until a few days after our June launch and there was crud that I couldn't get out no matter how much I scrubbed. I used that same case yesterday and cleaned it while it was still hot enough that I couldn't hold it bare-handed. All the crud from the previous launch is gone and it's shiny inside again.

I usually clean mine the night on the launch, or occasionally, the next day. If I'm flying the same case/closures againlater that day, I'll do a quick clean with a baby wipe (or 2) and some paper towels, and then after the launch give it a better cleaning. It doesn't need to be perfect, but if there's any visible residue that seems like it'll come out easily, I'll get it out. With the closures (mainly the aft) as long as the threads work, that's good enough.

Nate

I clean mine usually later on, when I get home. Simple Green straight (uncut), in the sink with an M16 brush. Spray, brush all the crap out, rinse immediately. Never done me wrong, and works quite well !

Clean my motors right after using them.

When I get home I soak the hardware in hot water and Dawn overnight. Next morning they get cleaned, dried, and stored in the hardware box until next time.

I normally clean mine out right after I get home, then let them sit in some hot water with white vinegar for a bit. A little bit later a quick scrub and rinse they are good to go.

Try Hoppe's Elite cleaner, available at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section. The more you use it, the less the residue seems to stick to the metal. Oh, and it is not the same thing as the old #9 cleaner. It doesn't stink, and just looks like soapy water. Since I started using it on my firearms, it takes me about half as long to clean them.

Chevis

I RARELY clean my cases at a launch.. 4 or 5 uses never causes a problem.. when I get home, I throw them on the dishwasher.. makes it nice and easy!

I have a bucket of dish soap, white vinegar and water. I spray the case with simple green to loosen whatever is on it and then throw it in the bucket and let soak until I'm ready for my next flight. I then thoroughly dry it load another motor in it. I do it after each flight. Doesn't take much time. I figure what's the rush. I'm just going hurry to have my rocket sit on the pad for 10 minutes before they get around to launching it anyway.

I like to clean them before I get home as; I'll probably forget to do it anyhow.
I mixed up some Simple Green / Ajax dish soap in an Ajax bottle.
Pour a little into the case, use a bulkhead ( without o-rings installed) push back and forth with a paper towel in between to clean it out .

JD

I have a bucket of dish soap, white vinegar and water. I spray the case with simple green to loosen whatever is on it and then throw it in the bucket and let soak until I'm ready for my next flight. I then thoroughly dry it load another motor in it. I do it after each flight. Doesn't take much time. I figure what's the rush. I'm just going hurry to have my rocket sit on the pad for 10 minutes before they get around to launching it anyway.

If at all possible, try to land in water. Immediately soaking the entire rocket will instantly cool everything down, and help free everything up. All you have to do then is fish out all the random sticks, wipe off and pour out all the mud, buy new electronics and rinse and dry out your chutes and harnesses. Hands down the easiest motor cleaning I've ever done!!! everything pushed right out nice and easy! :facepalm:
14368930067_368f676981.jpg

seriously though....lube the liner liberally and it helps. as for water.... ><

3 week soak in lake icky , chute was yellow

liner was swollen wouldn't come out , so put case in sun a few days to dry/shrink liner , hardest motor I've ever cleaned

IMG_1332.jpg

Back