Estes Mega Mosquito, Steam Punk, Forward Mounted Canted Cluster build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I had been wondering what to do with the Spare Mega Mosquito that was gathering cobwebs in the build pile....then I ran across CZ Brat's thread on his Estes V2, Steam Punk, Forward Mounted Canted Cluster. I liked it so much that I not only stole his idea but even copied the format of his thread title. I thought the latter might trick some members into reading my thread too.

As with many of my builds, this one will involve a lot of parts that I had laying around. Being a real time build, I haven't worried about stuff like nose weight or how to keep the rear eject laundry in during boost. Since the motors seem to mostly sit forward of the CG on my 29mm Mega Skeeter, I suspect nose weight will not be an issue.

20140711_114723 (2) (640x360).jpg

Here are most of the major parts gathered so far. I chopped the bottom off the cone and will use the end part as a plug to keep the ejection gasses away from the cone. I obviously will have to plug that hole. Next to that is the body with three holes cut in it. I found the equation for a plane bisecting a cylinder and made a template. The next photo below shows a motor tube dry fit. In the base of the body tube is a roughly BT-70 sized stuffer, which will allow a short fin tab. Next to the tubes is the start of a tail plug (a sectioned piece of tube, a 2.6" CR and a smaller ply disc. I didn't have a suitable bulkhead so I used a ring. The thicker ply disc will provide a better shock cord mounting point and will plug the hole in the CR. Kinda kludgy...buy I had to use what I got. Then there are three 6", thick walled 24mm tubes with Estes retainers. You'll note that there are only two retainer sets....more are on the way (So much for just using parts on hand.)

20140710_000324 (2) (640x360).jpg20140710_000333 (2) (640x360).jpg

When I made the hole template, I was surprised on how much tube is exposed outside of the BT. I considered increasing the cant angle or moving the hole forward. In the the end I decided to leave the hole 1" back and at a 15 degree angle.

I mentioned 'steampunk' in the title but am not sure that's how I'll go. If I do, I think I'll cut some holes in the outer fin skins to expose the trusses in the inside fin piece. I need more motivation on finishing.

Yeah, those retainers will either make the end product a lot cooler or they will make it look really bad.

Dick,

It's one thing to jack a dudes rocket design idea, but to steal his thread title format..... Well, that's just down right onerous. :D

I am subscribed and watching. I agree that the retainers could go either way aesthetically.

Plus, the probability of a successful flight is inversely proportional to how good they look. I may want to add something to the exposed tubes. A conduit? Half of a BT-50 sitting on standoffs?

Maybe coil a wire around the exposed tube, ending at the retainer. Make it look like some old fashioned power induction coil or something. What motors you thinking?

I plan on BP, which means 3 C11s, D12's or E9's. I'm staying away from the E12's for now.

Make it into a high end espresso machine. Then there will be no excuse for the high end city rocketeer out on the distant range complaining that he can't even get a decent caffe macchiato in these parts.

Progress today...

20140711_180216 (360x640).jpg20140711_180307 (640x638).jpg20140711_180342 (640x360).jpg

Here, all three mounts have been tacked in with 5 minute epoxy and the parachute tube assembly was completed. The latter turned out a little heavier than it would have if I had used modroc tubing and bought some BT-70 to BT-80 rings. What's a few extra ounces anyway?

I have filled the gaps and filleted the motor tubes (inside and out) with SuperFil epoxy filler but didn't take any photos. I also stuffed a big blob on top of the three mounts and worked it into the gaps between them.

Next up: work on the inside of the cone and start assembling the fins.

Today saw a lot of progress. I fabricated an insert to protect the nose cone using a chuck of tube and some thick cardstock. I also sectioned the shoulder of the cone so it will slide past the motor tubes. I plan to hold the cone in using three nylon pop rivets so I can inspect the protector.

I installed the parachute tube and completed the tail plug. The first photo shows it sitting in place....with a big nozzle. I needed something to grab hold of in case nave to get the plug out... and it will distract from those Estes retainers.

I also trimmed the fin tabs and glued the fins. I decided to cut a few random holes in the outer fin shells to make them look torn up...before I tear it up. I added an example. I will paint the exposed trusses black or gray. Something other than the basic fin color.

20140712_165637 (640x360).jpg 20140712_165556 (360x640).jpg

I don't know...this thing has gotten out of control! :y:

Last edited:
20140713_195808 (403x640).jpg

Well, here are the major pieces dry fit. I reviewed the ongoing steampunk build threads including those by FayBoy and bill2654 and am doubting my resolve to stempunkify this thing. Their work has blown my mind, man!

PS - IMO the retainers and mounts look fine now that the fins are on...

Dick, there's a guy in Centreville who does hydrographics dipping...would make for an awesome wood finish on a plastic nose cone. If you're unfamiliar with the process, here's how the pros do it:

[video=youtube;-kpQXgKzWXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kpQXgKzWXA[/video]

And you can get a DIY kit and get very good results:

[video=youtube;VXlV7Gfbj9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlV7Gfbj9g[/video]

Thanks for the tip. That would be cool. Probably too fancy for me, although I'll do a quick search. I've seen that done with carbon fiber weaves too.

Update. On first look, they are way too expensive for this build. However, this one would be awesome too https://www.mydipkit.com/index.php?..._id=33&zenid=5a9af466d73306f740e3548fa45e3158

Update 2. Looking elsewhere, it appears the film is only 10-11 bucks a square meter. But the activator is 30 bucks. Still too rich for this build...but worth storing away for future reference! Thanks again!

Last edited:
So, you're going to have it done and ready for the next MDRA Launch on the 26th right?

Thanks for the tip. That would be cool. Probably too fancy for me, although I'll do a quick search. I've seen that done with carbon fiber weaves too.

Update. On first look, they are way too expensive for this build. However, this one would be awesome too https://www.mydipkit.com/index.php?..._id=33&zenid=5a9af466d73306f740e3548fa45e3158

Update 2. Looking elsewhere, it appears the film is only 10-11 bucks a square meter. But the activator is 30 bucks. Still too rich for this build...but worth storing away for future reference! Thanks again!

I know someone who has used the guy in Centreville a couple of times...I seem to recall it was pretty cheap as a service, but I'll try to find out. Sort of right on the way to the launch...

Looking good Dick. I like the motor on the end of the plug. I too am doubting my steam punk skills, but we'll see. I haven't put as much time into mine as I would like as I have been busy with life. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

@dgreger - I plan to fly it in whatever level of completion it is in at that time. All it needs are lugs and a shock cord and it could fly!

@wfcook - I doubt the logistics would work out. Still, I'd like the name if you can get it. Maybe for the next one.

@CZ Brat - Thanks!

Today I drug the grandcritter, properly bribed, to Michaels. I got some hammered gold paint, which is one of my go-to's. That look should go well here. I have never used the Krylon version so we'll see how it turns out. This is one model where crazing would fit in just fine. I plan on something like copper for the nose and the back of the fins where they are exposed by holes. The exposed struts will be silver. I will try to brush some black powdery substance around the holes and then put a clear coat over that.

I also got some stick-on half pearls for the rivets and a ribbon with a fleur-de-lis pattern which I may or may not use under the NC.

Spent yesterday cutting cardstock, placing stick on rivets, and add other missile-aneous trim. I could add more but I want to have it ready for the next MDRA launch and want to take advantage of today's sun for painting. Hope to get it all primered up today. I'm mostly happy with what I did but there is one tube that looks kinda funky. Oh well, it is what it is and that's all it is.

It weighs 12.6 oz w/o motors and with E9's and a 24" chute the CG is at the leading edge of the fins...pretty much where the unloaded CG of my 29mm version is.

To take a rough stab at delay selection, I totaled the thrust, avg and total, for 3xD12 and 3xE9, derated it for the cant angle, and picked a motor that was close to the resulting pseudo-motor. This was loaded in the 29mm Skeeter's Rocksim, the mass was adjusted for the actual rocket weight and the difference in motor weighs. D12-5's and E9-6's should be close enough.

I will decide depending on the wind on launch day.

I'll be there both days next launch, can't wait to see this thing in person.

You probably should keep a safe distance from my tent, I suffer from chronic CFS (Crappy Finish Syndrome). It might be contagious :)

On the first coat of primer, I was happy with the overall trim job (although it doesn't hold up to Fatboys Spitfires). However, there are lots of bumps that will never be removed. Hope the Krylon hammered paint looks really hammered!

Properly applied, the Krylon hammered really does look hammered. Might I suggest some lexan or something similar to fill the holes in the fins to prevent them coming apart? It'd still look like it's missing pieces.

That's good to hear. The Rustoleum version works great. As for the cutouts, I sealed all the exposed gaps in the cutouts. I wouldn't think they'd be any more susceptible to separation than the leading edge.

I'm optimistic this morning. The Krylon hammered went on great. It is thick for spray paint and is all hammery....perfect for covering my lack of detailed sanding. I've had issues with the 'new' Krylon paint but my fears were unfounded. The Rustoleum brass on the NC looks great too. The hammered look is s little darker than, say, a Testors gold finish. I haven't held both parts next to each other in bright light so I'm not sure about the contrast. No photos until the big reveal, probably this weekend. With rain scheduled for next week, I was running out of finishing time for the follow weekend's launch.

Oh, where one external tube hits the BT will have to be beefed up. This will be added at some point and touch painted as necessary. This was as much a note to self as a comment for others...

Last edited:
John, I can not attend this weekend. I will bring it at some future launch if it still alive.

I didn't see it in your descriptions... Is this a rear eject? I think that would be pretty cool!

Yes, it is designed to be rear eject. Whether it will be is yet to be seen :bangbang::bangpan::sigh:

Last edited:
Here it is flight ready. I could add more trim and hand paint some of the existing trim but have decided I'll save that for the repair process.

Excuse the sideways photos. I fundamentally don't understand jpg's. These are oriented right on my computer and when I loaded them to Flickr, where you can see them right side up with some other shots too.

20140718_123210 (360x640).jpg

20140718_123218 (360x640).jpg

20140718_123225 (360x640).jpg

Back