Estes Mega Mosquito, Steam Punk, Forward Mounted Canted Cluster build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like it could make some delicious macchiato! One nozzle for espresso, one for hot chocolate and one for whipped cream. The only problem is they all have to light at the same time.:)

Looks great! I really like the fin finish with the holes and different colors. What motors are you planning for the first flight?

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Looks great! I really like the fin finish with the holes and different colors. What motors are you planning for the first flight?

Depending on the wind on launch day either D12-5's or E9-6's. I have the latter but either need an on-site vendor or a Hobby Lobby run for the prior. We usually have a vendor on site, but not always.

Very nice. I did not expect to see the canted motors so high. That would definitely help shift the CG forward. No that it is needed.

Just out of curiosity...where is the focus of the cluster relative to CG?

Here it is flight ready. I could add more trim and hand paint some of the existing trim but have decided I'll save that for the repair process.

Excuse the sideways photos. I fundamentally don't understand jpg's. These are oriented right on my computer and when I loaded them to Flickr, where you can see them right side up with some other shots too.

Way cool. I like it. The NC shape and color compared with the BT shape and color remind me of a .22 LR cartridge. Congrats on a great looking build.

Wfcook...Cg is at the base of the motors...so pretty far away.

Last edited:
Flew great on three E9-6's! There was a little wobble on the way up but not bad. I only have static photos, which you can see here. wfcook caught some launch shots, however. I'm sure he'll share them here. Hint hint.

Very nice work!
Glad it was a success.
I look forward to the launch pictures.

Tomorrow I'll get all this off the camera and post...

Looks great! The 3 engine smoke trails look really cool. Did you have to add nose weight?

Thanks. I didn't add any nose weight specifically, but there is a thick cardboard structure inside to protect the plastic. The top end of the rocket was HOT when I recovered it.

I didn't add anything like that on mine. Now I am worried. Too late to do anything about it now. I have the first paint on mine now. Check it out.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67272-Estes-V2-Steam-Punk-Forward-Mounted-Canted-Cluster-build-thread

Maybe use some epoxy to create a reflective aluminum-foil shield on the base of the nose cone? I have had some success before protecting parts this way, although I haven't checked to see what would have happened without it.

Dick... Oh my. That is totally amazing! Great concept and outstanding execution!

Now that it flew successfully, I started working some more on the finish. So far, I added some rust...actual rust. I took some red iron oxide, mixed it with water and swabbed. I shot on a coat of matte clear coat to set it in place. For the fin damage, I brushed and swabbed some acrylic black. But, what is better for simulating blast damage that some actual pyrotechnics. To that end I used some powder, which was placed over the painted areas and ignited. Burns, speckles and bubbled paint were also covered with clearcoat.

14659419908_a329c30dd0_z.jpg

14845695412_2f572eedbe_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back