Wildman Darkstar LITE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My friend Matt picked up one of these and what an awesome kit!! Well made and very straight forward on assembly. I simmed it on everything from a "G" - "H" and every flight was perfect as far as deployment speeds (velocity) every flight in most cases was below 20mph some much lower. I'm talking every motor on ever delay was below 20 mph. If you guys have ROCKSIM I can attach the file, but you can also down load on WM's site. I was going to upload with all the flight simulations, but the size exceeds the forums maximum file size because I have all the flights on the file.

I'm definitely going to have to buy this kit!!! I'll wait and see how Matt's fly's first, but I'm positive it will fly great. I think an "H" takes it 4000' isn't that like borderline for a tracking device?

I'm definitely going to have to buy this kit!!! I'll wait and see how Matt's fly's first, but I'm positive it will fly great. I think an "H" takes it 4000' isn't that like borderline for a tracking device?

It depends on where you fly. Right now where I fly, I'll use a tracker in anything going up over 2000 feet ( depending on wind and color choice of rocket) . Rocket your describing could be lost in the tall grass by us. You could literally walk by it numerous times and not see it.
Trackers are your friend. One of my better rocketry investments.

It depends on where you fly. Right now where I fly, I'll use a tracker in anything going up over 2000 feet ( depending on wind and color choice of rocket) . Rocket your describing could be lost in the tall grass by us. You could literally walk by it numerous times and not see it.
Trackers are your friend. One of my better rocketry investments.

Dry lake beds is where we fly...but still I think it wouldn't hurt to get a tracker. Any suggestions on what to get?

Dry lake beds is where we fly...but still I think it wouldn't hurt to get a tracker. Any suggestions on what to get?

I'm sure there will be a lot of different ideas on what to use. While GPS seems to be growing in popularity, I am very happy with my transmitters from L.L. Electronics. I use the XLF 6 volt falconry transmitter as it fits in so many rockets. I use a receiver from Com-Spec. There are multiple types , I chose the one Wildman sells as I have channels that don't require Ham license as well as channels that require Ham license. While a bit pricey, it has not failed me. Last year I had by transmitter fall off of a rocket due to human error. It took me a few hours but I found it in grass that was almost 6 feet tall. I got to the immediate areas quickly then just tri-angularly moved around and adjust receiver and found it.

One of the greatest kits out there, bought mine in 2009, it's my go to rocket, I've flown it dozens of times on just about every Aerotech G motors. Yes I do recommend this rocket, you will not be disappointed.

Looking at Wildman's site, this kit has

new, lightweight, spiral fiberglass airframe tube

...what is this stuff?

All the best, James

Looking at Wildman's site, this kit has

...what is this stuff?

All the best, James

Thinner wall thickness than the standard spiral wound. Just ground OD thinner to save weight on small rockets.
These also use thinner wall NC's to match.

DarkStar Lite
Drago
Dra-Glo [night rocket]

All the mini's as far as I know, all use thin wall tubing.

I would love to build a 54mm minimum diam. out of this stuff. I think it would challenge carbon in this diam. :tongue:

Back