2 U-Bolts 180 degrees apart? How to rig the harness?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRLewis

Reaction score
The instructions for my new rocket (Wildman Gizmo XL DD) suggest that I use 2 U-Bolts 180 degrees apart at the booster section and both ends of the avbay. But only an eyebolt at the nosecone. I am having trouble visualizing how I would rig the recovery harness.

I will fly a small drogue at apogee. And main will probably be done using a deployment bag. I might have nosecone come down on its own small drogue separately.

So how should I rig this? Do I run two straps between the dual u bolts? Do I get a Y shaped harness sewed up? What have others done?

Fruitychutes also does y harnesses. I would use on of the two. How large of a rocket? I have a picture of my level 3 bird with Y harnesses.

My level 3 Y harness

Last edited:
You run 1 piece of TN or Kevlar between the 2 U-bolts.

Tie each end [or quick link, I tie since you tie to quick link anyhow] to each U-bolt. Then Q-link the shock cord to it.

On the apogee side, make sure you have a long enough section to allow using a long motor, without interference.

Main side, just long enough to comfortably center the main shock cord.

Yes I have built one. I used eyebolts rather than U-bolt.....just my choice, they take up less room and are easier to install.

If the rocket is going up past 5-6k feet I would not have nose cone come down seperatly especially on L-3 attempt also depends on openness and size of field. Just 1 more thing you have to find. Keep it in one piece. Ive seen nose cones come down seperatly usually on larger chutes and drift away. They dont always land next to each other or even in same direction. Sometimes thermals might catch a lighter weight chute /nosecone and goodby. Not good on a cert flight.

I had One Bad Hawk sew me up a couple of Y-harnesses and found dealing with him to be fast, reasonably priced, and pleasant at every turn.

Later!

--Coop

Back