Maxi Alpha 3 Build... well... more like a Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agatheron

Reaction score
This is the first of two build threads that I am going to be working on over the next little while.

While I suppose this is technically a build thread, it's more like a paint thread since the Rocket is largely built:

This was glued together almost exclusively with epoxy, and I've already completed the fillets on the fins to reduce the risk of fin breakage on a hard landing. It's basically stock, but I did include a short Kevlar line tied in with the supplied elastic/rubber band to give it some protection and support. My intention is to use a top flight parachute, quick release, and swivel for the parachute assembly, but that will come later in terms of pictures.

The challenge for this rocket is in the painting. After it gets a treatment with Fast and Final and a good sanding, maybe strengthening the launch lugs too, my plan is to paint this rocket in a scheme paying homage to my geeky Warhammer 40,000 roots. An Ork Rokkit... While I'm not doing this as a steampunk or similar type build, Orks in the WH40K universe are known for building crude stuff that shouldn't work, but it does. I don't want to really change the aerodynamics of the rocket itself, so most of it will be done with paint. For interest, here's a picture of the rocket beside a "Stompa" a huge plastic kit made for the game.

Largely the colour scheme will be black with white checks, Ork-specific glyphs, and perhaps some crude nose-cone art. The paint will be intentionally chipped, with a few tricks to make it appear that it is made of metal rather than cardboard and plastic. Looking forward to working on this one. :)

sounds like a cool paint job! Hope it turns out like you envision it. Def post up pics of the paint process.

I'm looking forward to seeing this paint job! Sounds very interesting!

The MA3 is a great rocket for experimenting with different kinds of decoration --- cheap to build and fly, and big enough to allow a cool decorating scheme. It's my favorite rocket for building and decorating as gifts for other people.

Here's an update. A bit later than I wanted, but my wife decided that painting our bedroom would be a better idea. She is right, of course.

I did manage to get some basic colours on the Rokkit, er... Rocket:

In Warhammer 40,000 Ork-speak, the spelling is Rokkit ;)

The body, of course, needs a fair bit more work. I am thinking of doing some large black and white checks around the top of the main body, a minimum of two rows of 1" checks all the way around. I'll have to fudge it a little bit, since pure 1" squares would leave about 1/8" as a gap.

I also happen to have a Tamiya masking grid... it's basically graph paper printed on sticky masking paper. It allows me to draw out a pattern, cut it out in reverse, and then stick it to the model to create the outline of the shape that I want. This is where I can use some suggestions.

I am also thinking of doing black and white checks on at least some of the fins, and maybe a red accent here or there. I am also debating if I should put "Waaagh!!" (the Ork battle cry) in big green letters up the side, or if I should stick to straight up Orky symbols, of which there are a lot of interesting shapes.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I have light-tack Frogtape as well for handling some of the masking duties with this. Previously, when I used vinyl automotive masking tape, it tore up the surface of my body tube, never mind the paint!!

Very nice. Not sure how easy it is to paint white over black. The next time you might consider painting a base coat of white, then masking off the areas that remain white. We have a Maxi Alpha 3. Lot of fun. You can always ask Stickershock for help, especially with specialized lettering.

White over black is tricky, but not impossible, especially for the look I'm going for. I have access to two different options, both of which will work as I've done it before, albeit on a smaller scale. :)

Just a quick update. Here's a pic of the paint job as it stands right now. I still need "decals" in terms of symbols and such on the Rocket itself:

I know the checks on the lower fin are pinkish. I have a story about that... It wasn't from the red paint... but the red of the MA3's fin coming through the paint...

Back