• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Rohn truss tower segments, free delivery to LDRS, MWP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator
Reaction score
A neighbor recently asked me to help take down his 40' tall truss tower with a TV antenna (no longer used) on the top. (That was a rare treat for someone like me who is afraid of heights!) Anyway, mission accomplished over a period of several months, waiting for the perfect combination of calm winds and calmer nerves. I am going to use one section for a high power launch pad for our school's rocketry club. The remaining sections are available and would make great launch pads for those bigger projects. Specifically, galvanized steel Rohn truss tower, each leg approximately 1.25" diameter, with solid rod welded bracing to become 3-sided tower with approximately 11.25" centers. Top few inches of tubes of each section narrow to slip fit each subsequent section together.

(a) two sections, formerly the top and bottom of this tower. (bottom two sections in the first attached picture) The top section is 9' tall and the three sides come together at the top to a 2" tube. The bottom section was originally in-ground. The bottom 18 inches was buried in concrete, which I cut as close to the edge as I could reach with an abrasive wheel, leaving the remaining 8' 3" section. Could be cleaned up a bit but still perfectly usable. $50 for both.

or

(b) the two sections above PLUS one center section, 10' tall. $100.00 for all three.

note these are currently the only options, as they are concurrently listed on Craig's List on the off chance that a HAM radio guy might want them. I can deliver to Day One of LDRS or any subsequent WOOSH (Bong) or QCRS (Princeton) launch. PM me if any interest.

IMG_5652.jpg

Screen shot 2014-07-10 at 8.54.32 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-07-10 at 8.54.59 PM.png

I can't wrap my head around how you could possibly be afraid of heights?

Yeah, I know... weird, huh? But its different somehow being enclosed in a building or jet, than hanging on the edge of a cliff or top of a tower. 40,000' up in a plane, no problem, but 40' up that tower, using my hands to turn wrenches instead of holding on was right out of Fear Factor.

I feel for you, Sather, but secretly I'm glad to hear I'm not the only pilot with that problem. In the airplane, I'm fine, but I can no longer be on the roof, radio towers, cliff edges, balconies, whatever. Strange but very powerful sensation.

Mark

A neighbor recently asked me to help take down his 40' tall truss tower with a TV antenna (no longer used) on the top. (That was a rare treat for someone like me who is afraid of heights!)

Yeah, I know... weird, huh? But its different somehow being enclosed in a building or jet, than hanging on the edge of a cliff or top of a tower. 40,000' up in a plane, no problem, but 40' up that tower, using my hands to turn wrenches instead of holding on was right out of Fear Factor.

I feel for you, Sather, but secretly I'm glad to hear I'm not the only pilot with that problem. In the airplane, I'm fine, but I can no longer be on the roof, radio towers, cliff edges, balconies, whatever. Strange but very powerful sensation.

Mark

I also have issues with this too. I used to work around depths (not heights) of 100-120 feet and, had a very distinct fear. Put me in a plane (in my case as a passenger) and, it all goes away.

The best answer i can give you is this...

Over time your body is *trained* by experiences that the short fall and, resulting impact are really going too hurt. In a plane at least you will have time to correct the issue or just start praying...because whether you are falling at terminal velocity or faster.

Your not going to feel a thing on impact.

I've also learned that "Bumbles DO bounce" when they hit the ground...and, lord knows i've smote the earth a mighty blow more than a few times.

Mark

Sounds like a common problem. About 2000 hrs small aircraft ASMEL/IA/CFI no problem. But climbing on the roof - forgetaboutit.

Mark

I have infinite respect for people who can free climb. Not me... I'm a big chicken. I was strapped in, 3 places every 2 feet, took half an hour to go up and down.

[video=youtube_share;tgO4Gd4RhvM]https://youtu.be/tgO4Gd4RhvM?[/video]

I used to think I wanted to work on wind turbines.... I believe I'll stick with the steam driven ones now.
Back to the original subject... I would love to have to complete tower for FM and Broadcast TV antenna, however I wont be anywhere near them to pick em up

A neighbor recently asked me to help take down his 40' tall truss tower with a TV antenna (no longer used) on the top. (That was a rare treat for someone like me who is afraid of heights!) Anyway, mission accomplished over a period of several months, waiting for the perfect combination of calm winds and calmer nerves. I am going to use one section for a high power launch pad for our school's rocketry club. The remaining sections are available and would make great launch pads for those bigger projects. Specifically, galvanized steel Rohn truss tower, each leg approximately 1.25" diameter, with solid rod welded bracing to become 3-sided tower with approximately 11.25" centers. Top few inches of tubes of each section narrow to slip fit each subsequent section together.

(a) two sections, formerly the top and bottom of this tower. (bottom two sections in the first attached picture) The top section is 9' tall and the three sides come together at the top to a 2" tube. The bottom section was originally in-ground. The bottom 18 inches was buried in concrete, which I cut as close to the edge as I could reach with an abrasive wheel, leaving the remaining 8' 3" section. Could be cleaned up a bit but still perfectly usable. $50 for both.

or

(b) the two sections above PLUS one center section, 10' tall. $100.00 for all three.

note these are currently the only options, as they are concurrently listed on Craig's List on the off chance that a HAM radio guy might want them. I can deliver to Day One of LDRS or any subsequent WOOSH (Bong) or QCRS (Princeton) launch. PM me if any interest.

View attachment 177279

View attachment 177280

View attachment 177281
Still have this tower?

Back