24mm Hornet Clone Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagondriver42

Reaction score
The Estes/Centuri hornet has long been one of my favorites. Alas my last stock hornet was sacrificed to the rocket gods that be. So I'm building a clone, and its going to be a 24mm opposed to the standard 18mm. I made up an adapter to use 18mm motors if I choose to on some days. Nose cone was one I had planned for another project, hence why it is painted already. I have everything laid out, 8+ hours of WWII documentaries playing, time to start building :) More pics to come as I go along.

IMG_4738.JPG

BT is cut to length, fins are all cut out and sanded to shape (yes its going to have square edges you fin nazi's lol), and the motor mount is together with 2 fillets on each ring......

IMG_4739.JPG

Got the fillets all done last night and 2 coats of sealer last night. Sanded the fins smoothish today and sprayed a coat of build primer on. Now I get to wait 48 hours sand it reprime and wait some more lol.

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

Its been a few days, I did make some progress last night, sanded the rocket all down and re-primed it. I will be laying down the yellow base coat shortly. I will post pics later on tonight.

I did manage to get the yellow base down. Now I need to wait till Friday to lay the black down on one fin and apply decals the day after. Lookin good so far :)

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

... (yes its going to have square edges you fin nazi's lol) .......

Ach!@#% My kryptonite. I try to be open minded and fair. I realize this is a personal problem. I've gone all the way to the first finish coat on a rocket before the sandpaper comes out and the L/T edges get rounded. Ah well, your rocket, your rules. And for the record, my grandfather came to this country to get away from Mussolini and his fascist crap ! :wink:

Sam, I did honestly think about FOILing the fins this time but alas I didnt do it. I will give it a shot on my next build. Which will most likely be a red max, time will tell.

Sam, I did honestly think about FOILing the fins this time but alas I didnt do it. I will give it a shot on my next build. Which will most likely be a red max, time will tell.

No worries, I'll get over it. Plenty of folks here, ace builders, go this route. At this scale, the aerodynamics aren't really an issue. It's me. I just sit there staring at those square edges and I start twitchin' and my hands get sweaty. :blush:

No worries, I'll get over it. Plenty of folks here, ace builders, go this route. At this scale, the aerodynamics aren't really an issue. It's me. I just sit there staring at those square edges and I start twitchin' and my hands get sweaty. :blush:
I have the same disease-is there a pill? ( I hate shots-'cept the kind in little glasses...)

Got the rocket all masked off and the black is laid down. I'll let it set up for the evening and get the decals I made up applied tomorrow. *the decal sheet has decals for 2 builds on it, this build, and another clone Im building that I didnt do a build log on. There is a discussion on the forum about the old Estes kit though......

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

Hornet-Geosat Decals.jpg

So since I have been awake all stinking night and the black was dry i figured what the hey. So VIOLA! she is complete! Came out looking pretty nice if I do say so myself :D

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

That turned out really nice. Love the hornet, hadn't seen that decal before.

Thanks gents, Sam the decals I made up, its one I found with a yahoo search, well actually 2, the Hornet, and the graphic of a hornet lol

Back