Field Glasses?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainRocketeer

Reaction score
What power and objective lens diameter is best for tracking high-power flights? I have seen some used at launches but never asked what power and diameter.

I have a pair of pocket-sized binocs (8×20 maybe?) I use for bow hunting, and a pair of 12x50 for glassing distant hillsides, etc. But the field of view on both is pretty narrow and would not, I think, be conducive to finding and tracking a high-velocity rocket. Between size and field of view, I imagine a lower power would be better, but I want enough magnification to see what my 2" - 3" rockets are doing at 4,000 feet and higher.

Any thoughts on good choices?

If this needs to be in another forum, just let me know.

You're right that the higher power glasses will make it hard to follow or pick up a rocket due to the small angle of the field of view. If you have the luxury of open space and different powers to play with (borrowed from friends), you could always set a rocket up 4000 feet away on the ground and check the different glasses. A distant hillside could work for this. If you just want to follow the small, dark spot, this may help you pick a weaker strength.

As far as the objective lens size goes, I'd think you wouldn't need to go too large as it is usually bright when flying. The smaller the object lens, the smaller and lighter the glasses. Easier to swing into position and hold while tracking.

Just my :2:

For rocket tracking you don't have to spend a lot of money on binoculars. You're tracking in daylight but you are looking overhead so you want relatively light binoculars.

Harbor Freight has inexpensive 10 x 25 binoculars for $12. https://www.harborfreight.com/10-x-25mm-compact-binoculars-92442.html

B&H Photovideo has a huge selection (235) of inexpensive 4 to 20 power binocular for less than $50. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...N=4083534123&mxp=60&setIPP=100&srtclk=itemspp

Look for a pair that has a nominal 100 yard field of view (or greater) at 1000 yards so you can quickly find your rocket. A 3' foot rocket at 3000' will fill about 1% of your field of view with this type of binocular so you're not likely to loose it.

Bob

Last edited:
I prefer a pair of 7x50's. Not too heavy, wide enough FOV, great for following rockets, hunting, and astronomy.

Not necessarily in that order.

Watch the heck out for the sun.... it would be too easy to follow a rocket across the sun. Poof goes your eyeballs.

Agree though- less is better. 10x50 is hard to pick up a rocket. Also, unlike with your eyes (which swivel and look up, while your head tilts back) you almost need to lie down to track them, since you're looking straight ahead through the binocs... your head needs to go even further back.

N

Also, unlike with your eyes (which swivel and look up, while your head tilts back) you almost need to lie down to track them, since you're looking straight ahead through the binocs... your head needs to go even further back.

A couple of our flyers lie down on the ground for almost all their and each others launches. It does give an easier perspective on the arc of the flight. You could also move to a good distance from the pad so the angle of your view changes more slowly.

I guess I'm the exception. I've used these for about 10 years.

https://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/astronomy-binoculars/skymaster-15x70-binocular

They're cheap ($60 on Amazon), and they have a reasonably wide field of view, which is the key to using them. My technique is to lay down on the ground if possible. With them, and the right atmospheric conditions, I can track a drogue-less 54mm rocket at 25K feet. Generally, I'm the guy that spots the separation, or tracks a rocket to the horizon if someone puts out a main at apogee.

Jim

I've never been able to track rockets in the air by binocular very well. That said, I find that standing on top of my car on the lakebed with a pair of cheapo 20x50's from Celestron or some such is a wonderful tool for looking for the rocket after it lands.

Lying on the ground, leaning against something tall and stable, using image stabilized binoculars or combinations of these will really help. Once you spot it do not look away.

Latest posts

Back