Clear coating Crayola paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
So I built some rockets with my boys, and we paint the rockets with their Crayola paints (I'm assuming this is pretty much the same Crayola Temper paint we used in grade school or at least fairly similar) I want to protect the rockets with a clear coat but I'm not sure what to use. Options and thoughts are as follows
1 Future - not sure if the acrylic nature would affect the water based paint, I can run a test but haven't had time too
2 Krylon Crystal clear - is this still made?
3 check Michael's for some kind of clear coat in the acrylic paint asile
4 other thoughts?

Thanks

So I built some rockets with my boys, and we paint the rockets with their Crayola paints (I'm assuming this is pretty much the same Crayola Temper paint we used in grade school or at least fairly similar) I want to protect the rockets with a clear coat but I'm not sure what to use. Options and thoughts are as follows
1 Future - not sure if the acrylic nature would affect the water based paint, I can run a test but haven't had time too
2 Krylon Crystal clear - is this still made?
3 check Michael's for some kind of clear coat in the acrylic paint asile
4 other thoughts?

Thanks

I'm a Sign Painter and graphic Artist by training Mike.
In graphic arts we use just about every kind of medium under the sun from Charcoal, pastels and pencils to water colors, tempra, and oil based paints. Many times combining any number of these very different medias.

to seal tempra colors and still allow addition of other paints and media I would strongly recommend Krylon #1306 Workable Fixatif. Fixatif is not misspelled. this clear coating is used directly over just about anything you can think of as a anti-smudge, media fixing, non-yellowing coating. Once applied and completely dry, which is really pretty fast other more volatile vehicle clears can be applied with little chance of lifting or other damage. I use #1306 on all my waterslide inkjet decals as a first fixing coating followed by #1305 Krylon UV Gloss Clear. The same system works well with other media from charcoal to Rattle can paints.
Both can be found a Micheals, and other craft and art supply stores.
Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks John, that was exactly what I was looking for. You were one of the people I'd hoped would come across this thread.

Back