glassing foam nose cone question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Hello I tried doing a foam nose cone . Shaped well, was filled outside with thin coats of a vinyl wood puddy . Glasses in 6oz glass . I wrapped it and cut relief cuts to get it to contour . Layer of wax paper , didn't have peel ply . Should I have used triangles instead? Should say what when wrong . Still have ridges and it's not smooth . Will recoat with fill but for next time

Last edited:
I did a 7.5" cherokee cone the way described in the lin below. I've done a smaller 4" cone, same way. It's a little tedious but the result is awesome, there are NO overlaps and the seams are covered.

Look towards the bottom. I found the tip wasn't that onerous to get tight, I think I used a couple clothespins on the long cone I did.

https://www.rimworld.com/nassarocketry/fabrication/nosecones/g10.html

N

Thanks I will try that . And get better at cutting fiber glass it was the strands that is kill me

For my cones, I figured out the over-size shape required for a hemisphere coverage. Laid that shape out roughly with a marker on the glass and laid down regular width masking tape. Then cut the middle of the tape. No fuzzy stringy edges. On the cone, the lower boundary on each side of the diameter is masked with tape, so the glass is wet out over the foam half of course and also out over the tape, just a little ways. Cut it loose when it's green cured going along the edge of the tape. Because of the epoxy in it the glass won't misbehave. No strings anywhere, really...

N

Yes I have seen tfish use tape and cut through it . That is what I will try today

Back