METRA Launch July 2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick2b

Reaction score
This weekend, July 12 -13th, we will have our next launch, and the weather looks great. We will be flying off the front field again, same as the last launch. As a reminder, all cars must be parked in this area, and not on the main farm road. The exact range head arrangement will be similar, but a final determination will be made once we arrive Saturday morning - flyers and vendors are asked not to set up until a layout decision is made by the board, or you may be asked to relocate.

Some Notes;
1) The corn will have grown some, we do not know how high. Beepers/screamers are highly recomended. The best way to make sure you don't nee it is to load you rocket up with one plus a tracker.
2) Our food vendor, Nadine's Dogs, will NOT be at the field on Saturday, but will be there Sunday. They extend their apologies, but have a family event to attend. Please plan to bring your own food & plenty of water on Saturday, and get a world famous lemonade and spicy sausage from Llyod on Sunday, while you let him know you hope he had a great time with his family the previous day.
3) AMW will also NOT be at the launch, its Gloria's birthday, and they are hanging out with family. Be sure to wish her a happy birthday next time you see her.
4) Some of the board cannot make it to the launch, so PLEASE show up at 8:30am on Saturday and help set up ! The more help we get, the faster it goes and the less grumpy the remaining board member will be :).
5) Rich Comshaw (Wildman CT) will be in attendance for all your on the field motor & rocketry needs. Teddy Chernok will also be there selling the best harnesses you will find. Please visit our vendors !

We hope everyone can come and join us for a fun weekend launching rockets of all kinds! We will post a final GO or NO GO for the launch to the website on Friday by 3 - 5 pm.

See you on the field !

--
Metra Rocket Club

Andy Cook, Prefect
Randy Appelbaum, President
Jeff Davenport, Vice President
David Greenapple, Treasurer
George George, Secretary

BOARD of DIRECTORS
Mickey Spain
Craig Lynch
David Mosher
Jeff Fried

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'll be there nice and early
to help set up,,,
It's going to be a fantastic launch........

Teddy

Yea, I don't think the weather could be much better. Looking forward to the nice country drive.

I didn't go back on Sunday..
It's too far for me to go back again for a second day...
What a fantastic day it was on Saturday...
You just couldn't ask for the weather to be any better...
Everyone had such a wonderful time...

Teddy

Sunday wasn't much to talk about...
It was overcast, windy most people packed up by 1 PM.
We tore most of everything down by 3 PM.

JD

Saturday was not bad at all. Even with the corn, flying was nice. Good weather and reasonably low wind.

I manage 1.25 flights -

Got rid of a 4 year old Al Goncalves Red Max I have been hanging onto (Loki 38-480 case) - tore off the pad with my Excel plus to about 2,500'

The .25 was my Polecat Raven. I had a 6-7 year old I366R which had a couple of big chuffs and then took off. Unfortunately the delay started burning with the first chuff and as such was done about 2 seconds into the flight. Deployed under thrust withe expected zipper. It will live to fly again.

Karen had three great flights

• Hot Flash (Minnie Magg) - H144LW
  • Jellybean (Little Expediter) - G77R
  • Little Lunar Express - H128W

Sunday we went another path...

Drove up to Kingston and rode the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail.

48 and change miles of:
After the flying on Sat @ Metra we decided to hit the road, literally

The Walkill Valley Rail Trail – Kingston NY to Gardiner New York

Only 48.6 miles of

• Dirt
  • Gravel
  • Stone dust
  • Mud
  • Some effort bordering on cyclecross
  • Sand
  • Grass
  • Rail Ballast (Oy!)

I think we had a total of 6 miles of road – and it was hills!

But a few gorgeous views…

From left to right

• On the Rosendale Trestle
  • View from the trestle
  • View along the trestle
  • The original banana seat
  • End of the road

Last edited:
Wow does that sound like a fantastic Al...
I'm glad you and Karen had such a great time biking...
That's a great idea for my wife Sandy and I,,
It's been quite a long time...

Teddy

WOW Al I had no idea you were serious about the biking Very Kool!
Karen you look Great in that cycle suit :)

Back