Olde Bay Daddy (Estes Big Daddy) Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgreger

Reaction score
Finally got a partial flight video of the Olde Bay Daddy on an F240 Vmax:
Don't Blink!
Flight Video

This was its 5th flight on the Vmax, still holding together strong.
Total Flights so far:
CTI F50 Skid Mark (x2)
CTI F85 White Thunder
CTI F240 VMax (x5)

Last edited:
Hehe, I note all the attempted tracking was edited out :) Nice flight!

Hehe, I note all the attempted tracking was edited out :) Nice flight!

Yeah pretty much unless you are zoomed back you wont get that flight! Pete wasnt filming that day, he was LCO.

I remember seeing you Post that Rocket awhile back. Very cool.
Herrs Brand Potato Chips makes an Old Bay Flavored Chip.

https://www.herrs.com/product.php?id=9

Yep, Herr's and Utz makes them. Flying Dog has an Old Bay Beer, I tried it.......Pretty bad! And as much as I like Old Bay, it was horrible!

Just putting the finishing touches on a 29mm powered Big Daddy in Coors Light livery. Plan to drag race them, call it the Crabs and Beer race!

The Old Bay Chips are ok, but very rich in Flavor. I can't immagine Old Bay in a Beer.:puke:

It was overwhelming. I think it would be a good IPA without the seasoning!
So here's my take on Crabs and Beer!!!
Crabsandbeer.jpg

The Silver Bullet is a 29mm powered Big Daddy.

Very cool Dave,,,,
One of those "don't blink" drag races..... lol

Teddy

Only bad thing is, the motors dont quite match up too well.
OBD - 24mm 3 Grain F240 VMax = 378ft/s 18.2G 979ft
Silver Bullet - 29mm 1 Grain F120 VMax = 358ft/s 29.3G 801ft
29mm 2 Grain G250 VMax = 624ft/s 52.4G 1,370ft Now, Thats a Screamer! Definitely a zero wind kind of launch for that one!
Trying to keep em both either at or below 1k ft so as not to feed the trees!
Both weigh 14oz without motor. Ive been using an 18" Top Flight in the OBD. I was thinking a slightly smaller chute tied closer to the booster so the
nose hits first and hopefully saving the fins. Both rockets have 4oz of lead in the nose.
Opinions?

You will need a long cord for the rocket for a body-side chute attachment to have any hope of helping much since the body will be coming down at the same rate anyway. I'm sure this is documented, but what is the makeup of the fins? My opinion is to use the right chute and pick the motor accordingly. But then, my 29mm Daddy had stock fins with crumple zone recovery. :eyeroll:

Fins are balsa on both, I'll mess with it using RockSim before next weekends launch and see what the different motor/chute combos look like

If you want to make me feel inadequate...I'll drag race you. Mine will fly on a wimpy G74. I'll recover mine on a streamer.

Crabs kicked Beers butt! Olde Bay went on an F85WT and the Silver Bullet on an F59WT!

Crabs and Beer Drag Race.jpg

(Another photo credit to Hollie!)

Last edited:
Those CTI motors came up to speed so much faster than my G74! I think I needed to make it a bracket race.

And just think Dick, I wasnt even using the VMax motors I usually use!

Cool.

The second video of Jeff Howard's Half Scale Patriot was very nice! Beautiful rocket and a beautiful launch.

Back