Rose fin jig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maniac Bar

Reaction score
Just to let people know, I will be at NARAM 56, representing HighTech Rocketry. If you are attending and have a Rose fin jig that you wish to be looked over, calibrated, or have minor repairs done, please bring it with you. If the unit needs any major repairs, please bring it with good padding and a box. I will return it to Phoenix with me for repairs and then ship it back to you in your box. Look for me at the host hotel or next to the NCR booth in vendor row. Look for Kerbco Rockets. Please pass this information to others.

Thanks,
Geoffrey
NAR 85416 L3

I have a HPR-1. It is very nice, but I know it is not available.

Looks very intense and here all along I've been using cardboard with slots to align my fins...go figure? Very cool looking tool

When precision is important the Rose Fin jig can not be beaten. Micro to mid power its really worth the price ask;) expensive OH yes! but if your trying to get dead on straight aligned fins creating 0 roll in flight this tool is almost a must.

The Rose Fin Jig is indeed an engineering masterpiece. It is also a work of art...Art Rose. I have not been able to find out anything about Art Rose and his invention other than that which was linked to in this thread. I searched but have not been able find a patent, when he invented this device, how many were made, whether Mr. Rose is dead or alive....nothing.

Does anyone here actually own and use a Rose Fin Jig and does anyone have more information on Art Rose and his invention/s?

When precision is important the Rose Fin jig can not be beaten. Micro to mid power its really worth the price ask;) expensive OH yes! but if your trying to get dead on straight aligned fins creating 0 roll in flight this tool is almost a must.

If that's what you want and have those expectations sure... I'm just the average Joe ya know.

The Rose Fin Jig is indeed an engineering masterpiece. It is also a work of art...Art Rose. I have not been able to find out anything about Art Rose and his invention other than that which was linked to in this thread. I searched but have not been able find a patent, when he invented this device, how many were made, whether Mr. Rose is dead or alive....nothing.

Does anyone here actually own and use a Rose Fin Jig and does anyone have more information on Art Rose and his invention/s?

I can't claim to know anything about Art (or art, lowercase a), but I do own one a Rose Fin Jig. What would you like to know?

Also, my jig is signed by the man himself, and I bought it in '09.

I don't own one, but I used one to put the fins on my models for the world spacemodeling championships. Very easy to use, very precise alignment. Would I buy one- prolly not. But I'm glad I was able to have access to one.

kj

Jim flis is selling the Rose-a-roc with permission form Art Rose. He may know a lot more about the man and the machine. Email him

I can't claim to know anything about Art (or art, lowercase a), but I do own one a Rose Fin Jig. What would you like to know?

Also, my jig is signed by the man himself, and I bought it in '09.

Since you state that you can't claim to know anything about Art Rose other than your jig was purchased in '09 and signed by the man himself, I will direct my questions to the only known vendor of this product,
www.hightechroketry.com

I wondered about Art myself. I talked to him a few years ago when I had a question about my fin jig. He was really helpful and a really nice guy. I've been told he is up there in years and I wish him well and it would be nice to see him at some NAR event in the future. He told me that he makes the fin jigs every so often--- it seems like every 3 or 4 years or so.

Art's health has been up and down over the last few years. He is home now after a recent stay in a rehab facility and Geoffrey, the original poster in this thread, has been working with and helping Art for years.

Art was a world class competitor for many years. In addition to inventing the fin jig Art also produced an engine testing stand which I believe is what the NAR still uses to certify motors. My understanding is that the Bulgarians as well will be using an Art Rose stand to test the motors of every team at this summer's World Championships. Art was also a pioneer in competition motor development where he was assisted by Estes and others in producing special motors for the World Championships.

As for the fin jig itself, it is simply the finest piece of rocketry equipment you can buy. It's designed to deliver world class precision to people who want to compete at a world class level. It is completely unnecessary for sport rockets. Five out of the six current Junior and Senior members of the U.S. Spacemodeling Altitude team use an Art Rose Fin Jig (one even has a left-handed version of the jig). The sixth may also use a Rose fin jig, I just don't know.

Art Rose's contribution to model rocketry has been truly incredible and his fin jig is just magnificent.

Steve

Photos below are of my daughter using a Rose Fin Jig at NARAM 55 (where she did pretty well :wink:) and of Art Rose at the 1990 World Championships in the Ukraine (where he did pretty well :smile:).

EmWithJig.jpg

art_s5.jpg

art_s4b.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to inventing the fin jig Art also produced an engine testing stand which I believe is what the NAR still uses to certify motors.

Art's a great guy, but actually, Vern Estes built the NAR's test stand.

Art's health has been up and down over the last few years. He is home now after a recent stay in a rehab facility and Geoffrey, the original poster in this thread, has been working with and helping Art for years.

Art was a world class competitor for many years. In addition to inventing the fin jig Art also produced an engine testing stand which I believe is what the NAR still uses to certify motors. My understanding is that the Bulgarians as well will be using an Art Rose stand to test the motors of every team at this summer's World Championships. Art was also a pioneer in competition motor development where he was assisted by Estes and others in producing special motors for the World Championships.

As for the fin jig itself, it is simply the finest piece of rocketry equipment you can buy. It's designed to deliver world class precision to people who want to compete at a world class level. It is completely unnecessary for sport rockets. Five out of the six current Junior and Senior members of the U.S. Spacemodeling Altitude team use an Art Rose Fin Jig (one even has a left-handed version of the jig). The sixth may also use a Rose fin jig, I just don't know.

Art Rose's contribution to model rocketry has been truly incredible and his fin jig is just magnificent.

Steve

Photos below are of my daughter using a Rose Fin Jig at NARAM 55 (where she did pretty well :wink:) and of Art Rose at the 1990 World Championships in the Ukraine (where he did pretty well :smile:).

Thanks Gus. And BTW, that's a mighty pretty girl with her pink cellphone!

Just to let people know, I will be at NARAM 56, representing HighTech Rocketry. If you are attending and have a Rose fin jig that you wish to be looked over, calibrated, or have minor repairs done, please bring it with you. If the unit needs any major repairs, please bring it with good padding and a box. I will return it to Phoenix with me for repairs and then ship it back to you in your box. Look for me at the host hotel or next to the NCR booth in vendor row. Look for Kerbco Rockets. Please pass this information to others.

Thanks,
Geoffrey
NAR 85416 L3

Geoffrey or anyone who knows:
Has something happened to the web site, I've tried to access it from several different locations and computers but keep getting "This Page can Not Be displayed" error message.
What's UP! Actually looking to place an order but will not be attending Naram this year.

site seems to be working again...08-15-14

Last edited:
Sadly, it appears I will not get to speak to Art Rose. He's gone but his legacy remains. RIP

Back