Estes Make It Take It

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balsa Bob

Reaction score
Our 4-H club is planning on using these kits for an upcoming Beginner build session.
Could someone share his/her experience with this kit?

Some of our adult leaders would be interested in seeing the instructions ahead of time.
Can someone post a copy, or point me in an online direction for a preview?

Thanks for your help.

We just built about 50 of them in two waves (with a 45-minute build period for each group) and flew them at the Museum of Flight in Seattle last Saturday.

PM me your email address and I can send you lots of data.....

The MiTi builds up almost exactly like an Alpha III except that instead of putting that tiny screw eye in the base of the nose cone you have to glue two nose cone parts together. This is one step that I did in advance (using Ambroid Pro-Weld) in order to shorten the flow time and eliminate the need to have another kind of adhesive at the build tables.

The other things we did to get them built in such a short time was do some pre-marking of parts, precut the shock cord mount, and drastically reorder the build steps. If you're not in such a hurry you can follow the instructions as written.

Last edited:
At an "aerospace" camp I went to we built one of those. they go together pretty easily, and don't require much complex assembly. They fly fine but make sure to stress cutting large spill holes otherwise they'll be drifting for a long time...

Nate

Scan of instructions sent.

What we did to limit drift since our site was really small was reefed the 'chutes with a bit of Scotch tape. That way they could be flown on a larger site and land more softly later. Three of the 50 had the reefing not work properly. All of them wound up on the roof of an adjacent school (Raisbeck Aviation High School, semi-ironically).....

If you'll be flying in a tight field, set the parachutes aside and use streamers. 36" of yellow caution tape + some string + a hole reinforcement + a fishing swivel = assembly time under a minute.

What a weird name for a Rocket.
Make it Take it?
Make it take what exactly?
A Beating? A Motor too powerful? A hard Landing without a Parachute?
:confused:

Greetings all,
Thanks to everyone who replied/posted.
Yesterday's build session was part of the MD State 4-H Aerospace Workshop.
The boys/girls and adult leaders thoroughly enjoyed the lecture, parts I.D., and hands-on experience.
Only one separation... all rockets recovered.
:cool:

"Make & Take" or Make-It & Take-It" are common terms used for big events where you give people a free item, but they must built it at the event.

Estes used many models over the years for these events at hobby and educational shows/conventions, but they created a kit specifically for these events and gave it the name.

Pior to this they used thousands of Generic E2X models. We also used Alpha II kits at educational conferences in the very distant past.

What a weird name for a Rocket.
Make it Take it?
Make it take what exactly?
A Beating? A Motor too powerful? A hard Landing without a Parachute?
:confused:

Back