MMMSC Sunday July 20th, ....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParrytheWind

Reaction score
I have several parachutes that I would like to give to someone who could use them. These were originally from kits that I did not end up using. I will be at the Berwick launch and will have them with me. I am not looking for anything for them. PM me here, or see me at the launch. Thanks, Dominic.

IMAG0016.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few day off and the weather forecast looks great.

Who's showing up and what are you flying?

Is anyone bringing a Saturn V for the (gulp!) 45th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing?

I'm planning to be there. Haven't decided what I will bring yet. The forecast is for 7 mph winds. That is probably too low an estimate but even so, the flying conditions should be great.

I plan on being there with my Wildchild and that problematic Aerotech F22-7J reload with a new initiator. Gotta get it lit and in the air!

I will be there flying my Twenty Two Ton on an H268R, hopefully with a large enough parachute this time. I will also send up the Dark Star Jr. on a smallish H in the single deploy configuration. I look forward to it!

I'll be there with my 4" Vindicator, Jimbo Jart and a few others. Might do my 2-stage Shape-shifter if I have the right motor combo on hand.

Hoping for some breaks in the clouds tomorrow - I hate tracking my rockets against the clouds

-brant

I'm planning to be there. Haven't decided what I will bring yet. The forecast is for 7 mph winds. That is probably too low an estimate but even so, the flying conditions should be great.

Think I will test my Archtype cable cutter in a Madcow Aerobee. I'll also bring my LOC V2 and LOC Black Brant. It should be a good day for flying.

I'll be there tomorrow, bringing the Super DX3 with the telemetry rig, plus the Partizon and Gallifrey. All mid and hi power flights if all goes well.

I had a great time out in Berwick today! Perfect weather for flying, and I saw some pretty neat flights. I sent up two rocket myself, the first being my 3"x72" scratchbuild Twenty Two Ton on an H268R.
[video=youtube;JglfA0k2YZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglfA0k2YZ0[/video]
This flight was "exciting" because as shown in the video, the parachute didn't pull out of the tube until about 2-3 seconds after the well-timed deployment event. When it finally did deploy, though, the parachute allowed the rocket to descend at a comfortable rate that spared all of the fragile fins.
My other flight for the day was my Dark Star Jr. in the short configuration on a G64-4. This was a nice low and slow first flight, and the rocket sustained only a few paint scratches.
Based on what I have seen at the last few launches, I think the club should seriously consider flying from the center of the field. At the very least, the pads should be another 50' or so towards the center. A large number of rockets are landing in the trees, and most that do are only beyond the road by a couple dozen feet. I think we would have a better recovery rate if we made use of a little more the generous field.

I'll second that. The edge of the woods is littered with rockets (including now my Partizon, which will depend the night there. The tree guy will get it down tomorrow.). I think most of us are careful fliers, but today those were some hungry trees!

I lost an old NCR Sonic Seduction. I didn't realize that the winds had started picking up aloft and didn't angle the rod. My LOC Black Brant went much higher earlier in the day and essentially dropped straight down even on a large chute. As for the SS, 10 feet shorter and it would have been in a small tree. Twenty feet shorter and it would have been in the road. Forty feet shorter and it would have hit my Jeep!

7-20-2014_001a.jpg

It's always difficult watching rockets descend in the woods. Fortunately I didn't lose any to the trees. I did worry about my dual-deploy Formula 54 when the main came out at apogee at 3500ft (there seemed to be a lot of that yesterday with DD flights), but it managed to avoid the hungry trees. Had a terrific flight of my Vindicator on a CTI K500 - recovered about 20ft from the launch rails. Wish I had got some pics of than one. I had a good day - look forward to seeing everyone again next month.

-brant

Is the club flying on Saturday 8/16? I am visiting Maine and it would be great if I could stop by.

Thanks for the prompt. We will be there so, please, come and visit. If you have anything to fly, bring that along.

I've started a new thread for that launch.

Thanks!! I have a rocket that was on the pad at URRF that misfired, and I had to take it off and leave..so it is ready to go!

Great. We do have an M-impulse limit and a 10,000 ft waiver. Just be sure to stay inside the bounds.

See you Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum. That's not what makes me super-cool; it's many other things.

If you need a 1515 rail setup rather than a 1010 rail setup, let us know. We have the 1515 rail, but sometimes we don't set it up unless we know it will be needed.

Back