• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

The Great Built Kit Sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Well this is a culmination of trying to complete this build and my wife just not agreeing that there was enough room in the basement. Given that I can’t really build on the finished side of the basement, only the “storage” side, I kind of have to agree. So in the spirit of the Great Kit Liquidation Sale and the Great Tool Liquidation Sale (and others), I will be posting nearly 50 built rockets (maybe more, I haven’t got the count yet). This is a bit of a placeholder as the items won’t be posted until after LDRS33, but I wanted to provide some info on the sale.

1. Every built rocket I have will be posted with the exception of rockets that I have not flown as of LDRS33.
  2. You have seen my build threads for years on TRF. I would hope you agree that what is being sold is both high quality and expert built. All rockets being sold have flown so they might have dings. But, saying that, I don’t sell junk, so as I am sorting through everything, if I determine that it would take more than 1 hour total time to repair/recondition the rocket, it won’t go up for sale. Also they have been stored well in my basement or workshop both which are dry and have humidity (<65%) and temperature (62F to 72F) control.
  3. Those that have seen and participated in my past sales hopefully agree that I price things fairly and aggressively. Saying that, there is a gray area when it comes to built rockets. As has been pointed out by others, rarely does a built rocket have the value that the builder puts on it. This statement is true. All these rockets are worth far more to me than the price I will be putting on them.
  4. As a corollary to #3 above, pricing will vary widely. Pricing will be a combination of sentiment, rocket heritage/rarity, condition, upgrades/customization, etc. There will be some rockets listed for free, some for $100’s of dollars. In many cases there will be two prices on the rockets, one complete with recovery, one “bare bones” without recovery included. Buyer pays for shipping and, if using Paypal, will cover the Paypal charge as money orders are preferred.
  5. There will be no special timing or process rules involved in the sale. In past sales I have added limited bidding and time windows. These were added so it provided wider, more fair participation for all TRF members. Unfortunately, although these rules were simple and resulted in an extremely easy win strategy, some just couldn’t get their heads around it; so in this sale once I post a rocket with a price, first PM wins, no matter what. If payment isn’t received within 72 hours the rocket will be available to the member with the second incoming PM. I will pre-announce when the sale will start, but that is about it.
I fully believe I will not sell all these rockets, but I would like to move most of them. There is a full range of small to large, mild to high performance, multi-stage and clusters, rare historical gems, etc. This should be fun!

Last edited:
Something tells me there could be an Indiana road trip in my future...

Cheers,
Michael

Let me answer a couple of questions that came privately, but would be beneficial for all.

1. Motor mount sizes of rockets being sold: 18mm, 24mm, 29mm, 38mm, 54mm, and 75mm along with combinations and variations, i.e., staging and airstarts. Sorry, no 98mm's.
  2. Delivery to LDRS? Sorry, no. I have other rockets and accessories I am delivering at LDRS so my SUV will be full. The sale will start after LDRS.
Thanks for the interest.

Last edited:
How about delivery to an Indiana Rocketry launch?

Excellent strategy--scare/discourage others so you can win them all!

[FACETIOUS]Yup... People, please remember, DO NOT buy built kits, you never know the quality of build, what was used, adhesives, has it got damage, etc etc? Honestly, don't take the risk with your cash.[/FACETIOUS]

so.. back to the topic. Clusters and airstarts eh? Need pics... tempt us

Last edited:
Yup... People, please remember, DO NOT buy built kits, you never know the quality of build, what was used, adhesives, has it got damage, etc etc? Honestly, don't take the risk with your cash.

Staged: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Build-quot-and-More-quot&p=315148#post315148

Cluster: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59633-Rustoleum-2x-GLOSS-white&p=616405#post616405

Not into somebody else's built rockets but you may have something I would want . And I know how you build so I would be game . Will see

I NEED that 2 stager.... Maybe not but I really want it:):)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Yup... People, please remember, DO NOT buy built kits, you never know the quality of build, what was used, adhesives, has it got damage, etc etc? Honestly, don't take the risk with your cash.

Who the heck are you to tell people NOT to buy ANYTHING let alone built kits?? Edit or remove your post or welcome to my naughty list!! SHEEESH!!!!

Last edited:
Who the hell are you to tell people NOT to buy ANYTHING let alone built kits?? Edit or remove your post or welcome to my naughty list!! SHEEESH!!!!
I believe he was being facetious.

Who the hell are you to tell people NOT to buy ANYTHING let alone built kits?? Edit or remove your post or welcome to my naughty list!! SHEEESH!!!!

I believe it's a tounge in cheek smokescreen to reduce competition. Everyone knows these kits are top notch builds. I'm sure many will sell within minutes of posting.

I wouldn't pay money for kits that I have built, but kits that you have built are entirely different! Hoping for something scale...

Cheers,
Michael

I wouldn't pay money for kits that I have built, but kits that you have built are entirely different! Hoping for something scale...

Cheers,
Michael

Your wish is my command--a good number of scale kits large and small.

Comes down to some are builders and some are fliers...I'm a builder. :) I have bought pre-built rockets. An ad in the local paper said, "Box of Rockets". I paid $100 for about 10 rockets and all the AeroTech cases from 24mm to 29/240. There was an all fiberglass rocket that was worth the price by it's self. I'm still building rockets from the parts.

That's kinda where I'm at on built rockets, worth maybe .10 on the dollar. At least that's all I think mine are worth ;)

Who the heck are you to tell people NOT to buy ANYTHING let alone built kits?? Edit or remove your post or welcome to my naughty list!! SHEEESH!!!!

My comments were VERY MUCH tongue in cheek, slightly facetious, and, maybe a little sarcasm there. I have followed a few of dixontj93060's builds, and I have to say that there is some quality work there. Yes, this was facetious, this is one of the FEW people that I would happily purchase built kits from, that is why I finished with "so.. back to the topic. Clusters and airstarts eh? Need pics... tempt us"

EVERYONE BUY THESE PRE-BUILT KITS (except the ones that I may want!)

any better?

Last edited:
Comes down to some are builders and some are fliers...I'm a builder. :) I have bought pre-built rockets. An ad in the local paper said, "Box of Rockets". I paid $100 for about 10 rockets and all the AeroTech cases from 24mm to 29/240. There was an all fiberglass rocket that was worth the price by it's self. I'm still building rockets from the parts.

That's kinda where I'm at on built rockets, worth maybe .10 on the dollar. At least that's all I think mine are worth ;)

Then don't participate.

I explained pricing and value in the first post. Prices are highly subjective but will range anywhere from Free to several hundred $'s.

So Tim...

Just just exactly what unnatural acts do I have to perform in order for that 2 stage with the Mongoose to become an invitation only discussion with only me invited? You know there is really no bottom end to the depths I will sink to...

I would even say nice things about you in public.

Then don't participate.

I explained pricing and value in the first post. Prices are highly subjective but will range anywhere from Free to several hundred $'s.

Tim-you're a better man than I. Couldn't sell a built rocket to save my soul. It'd be like selling the kids. Of course I didn't get any offers for them either....people thought they were missing parts......

Last edited:
I've seen some of Tim's rocket's up close and in person and have seen them fly at Thunder Struck, and Tim does put quite an effort in building them and they are something to see. Tim, you can count me in on the action, as I am in the middle of several builds now, it's always great to pick up some quality pre-built ones. Looks like a road trip to Indiana for me.

Latest posts

Back