Thinning Aeropoxy ES6279

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewdlaudato

Reaction score
This is just my experience with using ES6279 paste, not an epoxy war thread.

I picked up the quart kit of this epoxy (the tan paste variety) and successfully used it for fin attachment on the 'Tick'. (See https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=63897). It worked very well out of the can, no thinning. Now it's time for internal fillets, and given how thick and unruly this paste is, I experimented on scrap with thinning it.

Batch 1 - 40:1 thinned:
10ml hardener
10ml resin
10 drops (~1/2 ml) Acetone.

This created an easy to spread but not at all drippy mixture. It was used to do the initial attachments of the scrap in the picture below - very solid bond, materials flex when I try to 'break' it but bond is not going to be the failure point. Still too thick to pour into a fin can for internal fillets.

Batch 2 - 20:1 thinned:
10ml hardener
10ml resin
20 drops (~1ml) Acetone.

This is just about perfect for internal fillets. It flows like thick honey, 'folding' as it flows. The test fillets use way too much, but I wanted to convince myself that it would cure so I used the whole batch on those two test fillets. What you're seeing in the picture cured overnight, is not tacky in any way and appears very solid. Later I will drill a hole into it to get a sense of what it looks like internally. Feel like I've found my ideal ratio for creating a strong but workable ES6279 variant.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404917332.790644.jpg

Back