warning:rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the "helpful" responses. Ill do the physical method, sorry to waste you guys time.

Asking questions is never a waste of time. Just sometimes you're not going to like the answers.

Welcome to the madness, I hope to see some posts about your rockets soon.

Last edited:
But still think that it should be free for minors. Another possibility is to have an option for middle to high schoolers, and because most schools provide their students school affiliated email addresses, they could sign up with those. After all it's not like anyone's going to put so much effort into faking being a student just to join tripoli for free.

The problem is once you create one group of free membership, what about some other group? Let's say retirees. Why aren't they free? Or veterans? Or the disabled?

You see where I'm going?

You quickly end up with so many people not having to pay that those who do have to pay that much more, in order to cover costs.

Some of the highest expenses for a member are in their first year of membership. I'd be willing to bet that your first year of membership already isn't covering costs, so you're essentially getting something for "free" in the first place.

Then there's the harsh reality that life isn't free.

-Kevin

We are trying to be helpful. But one thing to think about in regards to cost is, model rocketry is just not a cheap hobby at any level. At the lowest cost point I have found (involving bulk purchase), each launch is just over $2.00 not including the cost of the rocket. If one has the money for the hobby, then $25.00 doesn't seem that large to most adults. I know that some manage without many resources, but please understand that some will see it this way.

But.... talk to your club president. My club (an NAR section) was given a student NAR membership to award as we saw fit. I don't know if all clubs are given the same. I do know that our club helped out six TARC teams for the last go around. And we hope to help even more for the next one.

Speaking of which, I would encourage that you look into TARC. It could be a lot of fun, while you learn more and possibly even help fund college.

To summarize a key point brought up in this thread, you do not have to sign up for NAR or TRA membership on line. If you go to an organized NAR or TRA club launch, you can join NAR or TRA at the field as all clubs have national organization membership forms. Ask any participant who the club president (NAR) or prefect (TRA) is and they will assist you in signing up. They will probably even offer to mail in the membership application for you.

Bob

An additional note to LittleMisterBig,

We are indeed trying to be helpful, and you're not wasting anyone's time with a good question.

I particularly notice you mention "an account", rather than 'membership'. I want to be sure you understand the difference in this context. When you go the the Tripoli.org website, you see an option for members to log in, thus gaining access to more resources. If your purpose of creating an account is to access more 'rocketry goodness' that is reserved only for members, you might be disappointed. (No offense to my fellow Tripolitans intended.) The real 'rocketry goodness' is found in the form of people that will help you pursue this cool avocation is found in local clubs and on the launch field. Joining Tripoli (or NAR) adds to that, as others have mentioned, by supporting a non-profit organization that makes safe and legal flying possible for us.

Hey, wait a minute...

I think you're older than I am, Grandpa!

D'oh!! :p

Back