warning:rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisterbig

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I just tried to make a tripoli account but couldn't because I have no paypal account or credit card, given the fact that I am thirteen begs old. It seems strange to me that they would charge a kid 30$ to make an account. Some of you probably will disagree with this, but, if they want to attract members then they should make it more accessible, especiallh for kids to get them started early on this wonderful hobby of ours.

P.s. I can't believe that germany won 7-1 to brazil

Hello guys,
I just tried to make a tripoli account but couldn't because I have no paypal account or credit card, given the fact that I am thirteen begs old. It seems strange to me that they would charge a kid 30$ to make an account. Some of you probably will disagree with this, but, if they want to attract members then they should make it more accessible, especiallh for kids to get them started early on this wonderful hobby of ours.

P.s. I can't believe that germany won 7-1 to brazil

I feel your pain. The annual membership fee supports the non-profit organization and all that it does to support us.
Where are you located? Is there a local club you fly with?

Organizations need money to run. You can email them and see if you could mail in a check or money order.

If you are near a club, the prefect should have membership papers & you can pay cash or check there. That's how I joined.

There's a form on the website you can print, fill out, and mail a check. Or, as CJ suggested, join at a launch -- Prefects typically carry applications with them to launches.

-Kevin

Have you looked at NAR?

NAR isn't going to be any different - it sounds like his difficulty is with how to join, when he doesn't have a PayPal account or credit card. Any online purchase is going to have those limitations.

-Kevin

Just email deb with your information a send here a check or money order . Email is best it just her . There is more benefits with Tripoli than with nar .

Just email deb with your information a send here a check or money order . Email is best it just her . There is more benefits with Tripoli than with nar .

Chris is correct - email is easiest, rather than phone calls.

Rather than splitting things into an email and a check, make life easier for both parties -- print the form then mail it along with your check or money order. Please, no cash as if it gets lost in the mail, you're out your money.

-Kevin

Definitely printing out the form is the easiest, or doing at a launch. The perfect may even mail it in for you. As for the cost... you have to remember that the fees go to cover the cost of running the organization. While it would be nice if the fee were less, it is a huge discount (50%) from the normal membership fee. Also, remember that the membership covers your insurance ($1,000,000), so if you happen to burn down someones house on a landing or destroy their Lamborghini or something, it isn't coming out of your pocket or your parents pocket.

When I signed up deb was in the office ( very rare ) gave her all my info and she even called Tim ( Wildman ) so had both membership and certification motors same day . Now I have PayPal and will pay that way

Yes I just payed my parents and they used their card but with all of my info.

It seems strange to me that they would charge a kid 30$ to make an account.
I read this as if his issue is having to pay anything, not just the process of doing so. I wonder if he realizes it's not an account like TFR but a paid membership with benefits. McDonalds wants you to eat their nuggets and they have the nerve to charge you for them.

I read this as if his issue is having to pay anything, not just the process of doing so.

Very well could be.

The reality is a junior membership is discounted in both NAR and Tripoli such that it's a miracle if the organizations are even breaking even the first year of the membership.

-Kevin

When I first signed for both Tripoli and the NAR, I was 18 at the time and without a checking account.
I asked a relative to write a check for me and I gave them the money to cover it.
Do they accept money orders?

JD

Come on--OP needs to be more resourceful. I had first job and checking account at 13... Whining and excuses unacceptable.

He is complaining about $30.00 for adult it's $70.00 . But you get to cert and fly bigger and better rockets and Tripoli has your back .

He is complaining about $30.00 for adult it's $70.00 . But you get to cert and fly bigger and better rockets and Tripoli has your back .

I'll probably regret this as I don't want to debate NAR versus Tripoli but what "better rocket" can you fly with Tripoli that can't be flown with NAR? Likewise, where has Tripoli had "your back" where NAR didn't or doesn't?

Since you guys were wondering, this is the club I fly at https://www.crmrc.org
I guess I could give my parents the money and they could use their credit cards to pay. But still think that it should be free for minors. Another possibility is to have an option for middle to high schoolers, and because most schools provide their students school affiliated email addresses, they could sign up with those. After all it's not like anyone's going to put so much effort into faking being a student just to join tripoli for free.

When you join Tripoli or nar you can cert and fly bigger motors . That's it

A couple things, first I am wondering why the op is looking for an account with Tripoli? Looking for specific information only available to members?

Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise, I would recommend a person join the organization that is affiliated with their club. I joined NAR because my club is affiliated with NAR. I probably could arrange to cert by finding members who are in both... But just seems easier to join NAR with so many of them around to help me. If I belonged to a Tripoli club, I would have joined them. If my rocket budget doubles, I will join both.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Since you guys were wondering, this is the club I fly at https://www.crmrc.org
I guess I could give my parents the money and they could use their credit cards to pay. But still think that it should be free for minors. Another possibility is to have an option for middle to high schoolers, and because most schools provide their students school affiliated email addresses, they could sign up with those. After all it's not like anyone's going to put so much effort into faking being a student just to join tripoli for free.

When you join either national organization, you are PURCHASING insurance. That $25-$30 bucks a year for a 2 million dollar policy is really cheap.

Since the club you fly with is a NAR section, It might make sense to join the NAR... too bad about your local flying field :(

Most folks join NAR because they want to fly contests. (many more flyers at NARAM than at LDRS this year)
I think most folks join TRA to become HP certified. It's only within the past few years that TRA has had a Jr cert program for people your age.
Both NAR/TRA have jr cert programs.

Unless your club requires membership, or unless you want to fly something larger than an "F" motor, you don't really NEED to be a member of NAR/TRA to fly rockets.

P.S. - almost forgot... the ESTES Nike Smoke is both bigger, and much less expensive the the 2.6" MadCow version you saw at Apogee. I got mine at Fry's for $29.

Last edited:
I was planning on creating an nar account, but as long as I don't need a tripoli account, I won't bother with it.

Joining both clubs doubles the possibilities of where you can fly. If you like to travel, that is.

I think your confused. It's not an "account". It's a membership in an organization.

NAR only requires cc for online membership. one can download the application form and mail it with cheque or money order. once you have your membership number one can then access their account. so for those 20 and under the cost is; a piece of printer paper(and ink), a number 10 envelope, postage, and either a check or a money order for $25. you do have to be 14 years of age to 'certify' under the jr. membership program. for us older folks well...we get to pay $62 a year to be members.
Rex

Back