Extremely Large builds??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefice99

Red Mountain Rocketry
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning a very large build, but I do not know what others have been attempted and /or accomplished. Other than Steves Saturn v...and project 463.
What other projects exceeded the 35ft. height? And Yes... this would also be 2 stage. Love to make life complicated :facepalm:

I've seen an awesome full-scale patriot fly at Thunderstruck in Indiana! Dimensions on that should be about 18" diameter and around 17.5' tall! Here it is launching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNpvG5wqbw0.

I know it's made by some guys in Fort Wayne, Indiana, but I couldn't point you to any of them here on the forum... maybe someone else knows their handles?

The Downright Ignorant is close:

[video=youtube;luReqzQjEt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luReqzQjEt8[/video]

Weight: 800 lbs.
Height: 34' 7"
Diameter: 24"

Team SCAM's Full Scale Patriot was 16" Dia, 19' Tall, 325lbs. On the pad. Certainly no where near the size of the Saturn V or Project 463. Fun none the less.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404864103.221384.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404864129.732892.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

What are you planning & where is launch?

Hey ya'll, this post is from my friend Paul Schafer. For some reason he has it in mind to build a full scale Nike-Ajax and try as I might, I just can't talk him out of it!!!. Needless to say this is a group project, but Paul will be taking the lead. Its good to see him FINALLY on the Forum!! Launch tower/trailer is currently under construction. I would guess Bayboro or MDRA, but thats Paul's choice. I believe he will do a smaller version as a trial run, to get staging and other things "lernt"!!! Gonna be an adventure, one way or t'other!!

Starting with a 3/4 scale Nike Ajax....followed by full scale (35'). Already have some done for both.
Finishing building the mobile launch 26' tower...waiting on the axle.
Where TBD..
Price Md. would be great. Of course so would Bayboro...Other suggestions??
When - Whenever we finish...

Paul Schaefer
L3
TRA 12075
NAR 28085
Carolina Rocket Mafia

There is a full scale Mercury Redstone in the works in Calif.
We have given a approval for it to be launched at BALLS whenever it is finished.

added, motors are to be near the Class 3 limit of 889,600 Newton-seconds

M

Last edited:
I would love to see a rocket of this caliber fly at red glare. The biggest I've seen there so far was a 1/3 scale hojo... Sadly the flight was a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The ground support side of a project like this requires at least as much planning as the rocket itself.

How are you going to get it to the field? How will you assemble it at the field? How will you get it on the pad? How will you get it vertical? How will you arm the electronics? Do you have a venue that will let you launch such a beast?

Allow a minimum of three (I'd suggest six) months to work with the FAA on the Class 3 permit.

How are you going to recover it? How many parachutes, and of what size? What kind of separation will you need? What motors will you be using?

What you're talking about doing is difficult when it's single stage. The combination of staging and size up the difficulty by a significant margin.

Unless you already have a lot of high power staging experience, I'd suggest starting with something a lot smaller than 3/4 scale to master reliably staging high power rockets.

-Kevin

Thanks for the comments / itinerary....
This has been an idea since building a display model for air and space in dc when they first opened.....35ish years ago...
I have built a few versions....probably will add a 1/2 scale to the process as well.
All of your questions are just why I'm doing this. We love the challenge. especially when it realistically shouldn't be feasible, practical,......
Complicated logistics are half the fun....and this is complicated.
But, we have time. this has been mulled around for a long time. We have come into some resources / materials that enabled us to build our mobile platform. This will be over the top stable and user friendly...including fire suppression? and drink holder..ha
The time line is to take our time, discuss, argue, and relook at all aspects of this project as we go along.
Once planning is complete..I will be disseminating them among rocket gurus so they may punch holes in our plans.
If they can't...at that point maybe this has a chance.
The transition from the booster to the sustainer has been my biggest nemesis. Cast aluminum? or likely welded aluminum....
Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks

Hey Paul, at least now I know who's doing it & you have a good chance of success.

Good luck with this project..... it's a dooozzie.

Good luck, sound like a great time. The Big one I remember was Wedge Oldham's full scale Black Brandt, almost 30' tall with three P's

The Mobile Launch Platform will have as much design thought and safety involved as the rockets being placed on it. The tower will have the ability to lay flat, jack to a 20* angle for display and be raised to full 90* with electrically operated winch (4 roll sheave set). This will have shock absorbent hydraulics to stop the "bang and clang" from reaching apex with rocket on-board. At this time the lower section (first 14') can be raised by hand so I feel good about strength and design. Some pictures will be posted later as progress looks more like something real.

Back