Possibly the WORST EVER job of shipping... Using a Cushion Mailer Envelope

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Recently I scored an Estes Astrocam 110 in 1990's livery on Ebay. Thanks to the nature of my "line of work", I've not been able to get to the package being held in the office (I'm subletting) until yesterday. I was not amused with what I found.

14629766013_dba4fbda28.jpg

Image from the eBay auction

The seller used a USPS Cushion Mailer ($2.29 USD) to send it. A cushion mailer is an envelope filled with shredded paper as padding. I'm sure you can guess most of the rest.

14609733765_7cc213c111.jpg

The box was squashed pretty well. One end of the body tube (the pre-finished yellow one) was badly damaged, and is only good for using as a paint wand.

14607694584_93a36573f3_c.jpg
14423096310_9291e7afa6_c.jpg

In opening the envelope, it tore, and some of the fluff fell onto the decals (the self adhesive kind) which were exposed due to being folded slightly. In trying to remove the fluff, they folded over onto themselves and now the wraps are trashed. :hot:

14423096980_29bb487b67.jpg
14423348497_a34b3b7cd0.jpg

Fortunately, the plastic bits seem to be alright, so the camera appears to be salvageable.

The take away from this... If you want to ship a model rocket through the mail, and maintain your 100% satisfaction rating, DO NOT send it in an envelope!

I've sent a message to the seller. I've yet to hear back. [EDIT] Seller responded by offering a refund, which I've responded to. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
Seller made a Poor choice of packaging. Damage happens. Money refunds are easy but sometimes we would rather have the item! I sent a 55# box with very a very old Professional Reel to reel deck- beautiful... to a collector. Someone threw that box- the completely destroyed contents bending 3/8 steel framing! Buyer got refund. Ebay paid me for loss. Sadly another lost piece of history. Your not alone!

True to his word, the seller refunded a sizable portion of the purchase price (half the bid, all of the shipping). I'll be able to salvage the rocket with the materials I have on hand, except for the wraps. Anybody got a decent scan of 'em (with scale info)?

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
You should see how clueless eBay sellers pack and ship antique radios.
Worn out cardboard box with soft walls, three sheets of newspaper and no crush space.
The radio beats itself to death on the journey (heavy chassis inside a fragile wooden or plastic case).

Clueless sellers abound regardless of the product.

Even Non Launch carnage pictures are digested here.

I contest the title of "Worst ever job of shipping". Although this was more of a UPS problem than the packers.
This item has been lovingly made by my father in law for me. He saw the kit sat on top of a shelf and offered to build it. I got notification that it had shipped and eagerly awaited it. When it arrived it was in a LARGE box, opened this up and there was another box (box coupler), opened that up and there was layer upon layer of bubble wrap. Nestled inside all this was a beautiful thing. Then I removed it, and almost cried.
Checked the box. There is no damage other than a couple of creases. This has to have been crushed in from the edges.
DSCF1209.jpgDSCF1210.jpgDSCF1211.jpgDSCF1212.jpgDSCF1214.jpg

Seller made a Poor choice of packaging. Damage happens. Money refunds are easy but sometimes we would rather have the item! I sent a 55# box with very a very old Professional Reel to reel deck- beautiful... to a collector. Someone threw that box- the completely destroyed contents bending 3/8 steel framing! Buyer got refund. Ebay paid me for loss. Sadly another lost piece of history. Your not alone!

I know buyers can get a refund for damaged goods they receive, although I agree the buyer would much rather have the goods, as many are vintage are hard to find.
You mentioned ebay covered your loss as a seller, due to damage that occurred with shipment. I thought that was something the seller needed to take up with the actual shipper, USPS, UPS etc. Why does ebay cover shipment related damages on the part of the seller?? As a seller from time to time on ebay I was not aware they did.

yes they covered my entire loss as a seller so at least $ wise i was fine. The 'dispute' (buyer and seller really had no issues but had to follow a process) is removed and doesnt count. Ebay has improved from the days of old. In my case i was sad client couldnt get the vintage equipment as replacements are tough. Looking at lovingly made glider smashed and loss of decals on rocket are sad losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Couple weeks back I was shipped an Estes Astron Eliptic II in a Plain, non-padded brown Envelope.
I was able to salvage enough of it for a Kitbash Single Stage 13mm Build, but it would never be what it was supposed to be.

True to his word, the seller refunded a sizable portion of the purchase price (half the bid, all of the shipping). I'll be able to salvage the rocket with the materials I have on hand, except for the wraps. Anybody got a decent scan of 'em (with scale info)?

Thanks!
Jim

I have the ASTROCAN 110 decals but not the ASTROCAM.

They are in water slide, not "stickers".

https://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/product.php?id_product=775

I have the ASTROCAN 110 decals but not the ASTROCAM.

They are in water slide, not "stickers".

https://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/product.php?id_product=775

Gord,

Those are the original Astrocam 110 (1327) (from 1979 to 1991) decals, this is the Astrocam 110 (301327) (from 1993 to 1998 or 1999?). It's the same rocket, just different decals and "paint". I'm hoping to re-create them (waterslide or peel-and-stick), to help complete the collection of rocket based cameras that I'm building.

I'm hoping to convert one each of the originals (or a 3D printed version) into an 808 #16 keychain camera rocket.

I recently received through the mails an older Big Bertha kit, and found that the main tube had been crushed on one end, and the launch lug bent as well. I couldn't prove if it was done in shipping, or if it was a discounted item that had been bought and stored. Anyway, I didn't object, as it was a gift....and one I hadn't done. So I opened it and built it:

I attempted to lay the launch lug in such a manner that the slight curve would be pulled down and adhered to the length of the body tube...in line with the body.

But first of all, I built the motor mount assembly and chose to fit it into the end of the body tube that had been crushed or flattened. My reasoning was that while I could easily have chosen the other, more perfectly round end, the nose cone might be held in by the flattened oval, and be less likely to deploy when it should. Second, the centering rings, acting as a stabilizing assembly, would act to hold the oval open and round...and being hard glued in with yellow wood glue...it would like overcome the tenancy to flatten out once again.

I think I made the right choice. The rocket has flown three or four times now. Only the first launch was a flop, :facepalm: and I've pretty much decided that was because of the curve in the launch lug, plus some wood glue that might have obstructed either end...and after a hand held drill bit was rammed and twirled in either end, the launch lug was clear enough that a B engine would clear the rod quite quickly enough.

Last edited:
I once purchased an Estes Hi-Flier from Amazon. They sent it in a padded envelope and the tube was crushed and fins broken. I filled out a form thinking perhaps they would realize the problem if I told them. The sent another one in another padded envelope. This time just the tube crushed, fins in tact. I gave up and returned both.

Might I suggest scanning the decals yourself, then using an editing tool to replicate the good parts over the bad?

To save money, the seller could have skipped paying for the padded envelope and the shipping --- just stomp on the rocket and send you your money back.

Sorry for your loss, If you cant scan them, I'd suggest taking your damaged decals to a sign/print shop or just call stickershock mark & I'm willing to bet you can get ones that look just like the originals. Hope the cam works as thats the hard part to get.

There are still debris under the surface of the decal (on the sheet), as well as bubbles trapped under.

I guess I could scan them still and see what I can do with MS Paint to "fix" them... If I had the time.

Back