FleecEbay Feedback Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As you may know, my payload rockets tend to get a passenger (Marvin the Martian). I've been on Ebay picking up various figurines of him (reasonably priced), and I recently had a problem with one of my auctions.

I was the sole bidder on a figure that was listed as 8" and had "Expedited Shipping". Had I noticed the shipping price, I would have never bid for it.

The figure was less than $5, but the shipping came out to be $15.10 USD. OUCH!!!! I only noticed the S/H price when I went to pay for it. Needless to say, I now carefully check the shipping costs before bidding on items.

The item was sent in a box purchased from USPS for $2.19, and postage was $2.32. The seller waited 4 days after payment (made the same day the auction ended). It wasn't purchased on a holiday weekend, so there was no reason to wait so long to ship it "expedited" first class mail.

The figure arrived in good shape, except that it apparently shrunk... by 5". It was clearly only 3" tall, and was always 3" tall. I opened a dispute, but the seller never responded. Eventually Ebay Customer Service awarded me a full refund.

So, should I leave feedback? The item wasn't as described, the shipping wasn't "expedited" and was grossly overpriced. I did get a refund, but that wasn't issued by the seller. I don't want to be unfair, but I'm not happy w/this seller, and would appreciate some suggestions from the forum.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with honest feedback... you had a negative experience.

Buyer Beware, Not as described, grossly overcharged shipping, full refund via Ebay dispute.

Yeah, your negative feedback might cause another unsuspecting Ebayer to think twice about the purchase, which is just what creeps like this deserve. Fire away.

Thanks for the replies.

I used scsager's comment, nearly verbatim (it exceeded the character limit, so I cut out "grossly" and "dispute").

3 out of 4 of the negative feedbacks for this seller (over 100, but less than 500 sales) have been written since I won the auction. Seems like this guy is getting sloppy.

Last edited:
Someone here once recommended that you not buy from sellers with a rating under 98.5%. I pretty much stick to that or if the rate is under 98.5% then I check their negative comments. You can find out a lot from that. I bought a pair of 12" speakers, raw frame. They were packed so badly that when the box got some rough handling the zip ties they used pulled out and the speakers smashed against each other, damaging them both. I won the dispute but had to pay the shipping back. The seller either quit or changed her name. Her rating was terrible for a new seller. Many times I've skipped shipping back small things because it just wasn't worth the cost to return. Bad order filling seems to be rising and it costs us. I bought a power amp, clearly marked on the order. The shipper in New York sent me a car amp... Paid to sent it back then they sent the right one. I dumped on their rating, too.

I just got 8 gigs of memory. I waited until I installed before giving my feedback. It's working fine :)

+1 on there feed back. I always look them over. If you have concerns with the seller ask them about the bad rating and also contact the person giving the bad rating to get what happened from both sides.

My opinion?

The feedback about the product not matching the description is 100% fair. The feedback about the shipping & handling was not.

Why? Because the information about the shipping & handling was available, you just overlooked it. It doesn't matter if it's outrageous or not - it was information that was readily available.

-Kevin

My opinion?

The feedback about the product not matching the description is 100% fair. The feedback about the shipping & handling was not.

Why? Because the information about the shipping & handling was available, you just overlooked it. It doesn't matter if it's outrageous or not - it was information that was readily available.

-Kevin

Good point, however the S/H was listed as "Express Shipping", and waiting 4 days to mail it 1st class still isn't expedited in my book.

I should have posted it as "Buyer Beware, not as described, slow shipping, refunded via Ebay dispute".

It's too late now, I can't edit it.

Last edited:
Item not as described, expedited shipping was overcharged and not provided...

Mercy doesn't live here any more.

Roast him alive.

A lot of ebay sellers do that shipping charge trick. They make their product dirt cheap so you look at it but then charge like 50$ for shipping.

A lot of ebay sellers do that shipping charge trick. They make their product dirt cheap so you look at it but then charge like 50$ for shipping.

They've learned from the infomercial folks, where it's very common - "Buy one, get one free! Just pay additional shipping and handling." and the shipping and handling, per item, is $20.....on a $10 item.

Some great deals can be had on eBay, as long as you pay attention to the details.

-Kevin

A great deal of the things I buy off ebay are the buy-it-now variety with shipping included so I know the price. Many times I see auctions go beyond a set price from a different seller, buyer's fever I guess.

Leaving negative feedback is appropriate. He also got a ding by losing opened case. Cant be sloppy when selling.

ebay gave you a refund so if you do leave negative feedback, the seller can get it removed by making a phone call.

ebay's feedback system is broken. I don't bother with leaving feedback anymore.

I always read the comments and check the ratings on sellers, whether it's Amazon or Ebay and then, make my decision based on that.

The product clearly wasn't as described, but the shipping price was available at the time of purchase, so even though it's overpriced, it shoulnd't be a negative comment. Expedited, it wasn't, though.

My $0.02

Lots of sellers too nowadays price the product cheap but jack up shipping to get the money they want without paying bigger commissions or fees... Its kinda crooked in a way because its cheating eBay out of their sellers fees, and unsuspecting buyers tend to jump on low prices not realizing they're getting scalped on shipping. Not delivering the advertised item or misrepresenting it isn't acceptable at all though... I always look at listings as "price + shipping, cheapest first"....

Later! OL JR

Just for giggles... 8 centimeters is real close to 3 inches. Mayhaps he wrote the wrong unit?

Just for giggles... 8 centimeters is real close to 3 inches. Mayhaps he wrote the wrong unit?

Seller is based in the US, so that is unlikely as we still don't use the metric system much. Seller also had several days to address the issue before Ebay ruled in my favor, yet he did nothing.

I agree on the looking at price + shipping view. Just as an FYI, eBay takes their commission on the total, price plus shipping, not just the item. They got wise to the whole "people selling things low with ridiculous shipping to avoid paying commission" scheme. Always irritates me in that if I try to charge actual shipping when I sell something, I lose 11% of that to eBay and Paypal fees, which I either have to eat, or tack on a S/H fee to recoup. Then again, what eBay lists as actual shipping is a "rack rate" - what sellers actually pay can be somewhat less.

(Sound of very small violin playing.)

If I depended on eBay for income I might grouse more, or get better at figuring out the system. For now, I just use it to pay for some of my toys. Buy 10 rockets when Estes has a sale, and get free shipping. Sell 9 on eBay, and hope I make enough on those 9 in aggregate to pay for the 10th (mine).

Lots of sellers too nowadays price the product cheap but jack up shipping to get the money they want without paying bigger commissions or fees... Its kinda crooked in a way because its cheating eBay out of their sellers fees, and unsuspecting buyers tend to jump on low prices not realizing they're getting scalped on shipping. Not delivering the advertised item or misrepresenting it isn't acceptable at all though... I always look at listings as "price + shipping, cheapest first"....

Later! OL JR

Last edited:
[If I depended on eBay for income I might grouse more, or get better at figuring out the system. For now, I just use it to pay for some of my toys. Buy 10 rockets when Estes has a sale, and get free shipping. Sell 9 on eBay, and hope I make enough on those 9 in aggregate to pay for the 10th (mine).[/QUOTE]

sounds like a lot of work to maybe get 1 estes rocket

Back