CRC Mid Power Builds V2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great recovery shots. Are you planning on adding electronics to the Partizon?

Also, really looking forward to the new argent build. Have you built a mega red max?

Thanks, planning....no, but I did make it capable for future project, since its a weird BT size it will likely be a way future project to make a sled for it. Mega red max, no I have not, not ever even seen one in person, but I do want & will get one one day.

I started my Argent which will be renamed at some point. First was to cut out the fins, I used the stock fins as a guide & tweeked the ones I cut slightly diff. You can see no laser cutting for me, just a good ol jig saw. Next I cut grooves out of them(why will be shown soon) Next I glued the 2 forward MM centering rings to mm tube. Now I'll let glue dry then work on getting fins glued in.

Picture 5193.jpgPicture 5194.jpgPicture 5195.jpg

I got one fin glued on & also made a baffle style SC mount & gave aft side a coat in glue to aid against burning. Next is the other 2 fins & then internal filets.
Picture 5148.jpgPicture 5149.jpg

All the fins are glued on with wood glue & my coupler with sc mount & baffle is glued in also. I got aft centering ring glued in after doing internal filets thus sealing up the fincan. Steel sc leader is on & epoxied with an elastic sc tied to it. It looks good(I think) with the fins flipped upside down, but it's slowly getting less like an Argent. :)

Picture 5153.jpgPicture 5154.jpgPicture 5155.jpg

The upside down fins look cool. If you get a Mega Max, they are really great flyers. I've only flown mine on F50s so far but I've heard of people flying them on H's and I's. One of the guys at LUNAR flies his on G78Gs and you can hear the air moving over the fins after motor cutout.

I made use of those slots I cut into my fins & also used my 4" tube cut off. Next is to use up some spare wood I got laying around.....now it's really starting to not look like my other Argent or any other.

Picture 5156.jpgPicture 5157.jpg

Thank you. It was raining today so i had time to do a lil bit of work on the Argent. I got the filling & sanding started to blend the fin & what ever you want to call the stick on fins leading edge, next I got a LL glued in nice & out of sight, as well as I made use of some balsa I had laying around. 3rd pic shows what I'll use them for....A split fin design :) Now it's almost nothing like my other argent, which was the goal of this rocket. :)

Picture 5160.jpgPicture 5161.jpgPicture 5162.jpg

While I've been building I have made time to get out and enjoy the indian summer we are getting here, by getting out and launching rockets. Here is a few pics from my latest launches.
uvs140908-002.jpguvs140914-001.jpguvs140920-004.jpguvs140920-005.jpg

Thanks les! I'm just waiting for buttons then it will get primer, I'll post a pic of it naked later.

lol don't get too excited, it will be kept G rated.....well F & G rated since it's a 29mm motor mount:wink:

as promised, here is my Argent Arrow.....naked:eyepop:
Picture 5166.jpg

I got one more liftoff pic for our launch a few weeks ago, this one is of my QCC named stretch, picture was taken be another club member.
Also I started to build my next rocket, this one in another madcow kit that I'm keeping pretty stock other then the shock cord & mount. Also I made 2 card stock centering rings & glued them together to make another cr for the end of motor tube. Oh and I'll be changing the attachment to nose cone & I'm using an estes retainer......I guess for as simple of a kit as it is I'm changing alot, I'll see if it was for the better ;)

IMG_0157-2.jpgPicture 5163.jpgPicture 5164.jpgPicture 5165.jpg

I'm still waiting for my rail guides so I can finish my modified Argent, not sure if I should name it ExArgent or Argent Arrow, what you guys think? Help me choose which one. Also I got my phoenix built & I've started the finishing process, I hope to have it ready for our next launch on this coming Sat.
Picture 5181.jpgPicture 5182.jpgPicture 5183.jpg

Last edited:
That's an awesome looking Argent- some serious modifications! I'm finishing up the paint on my second one (first one was eaten by a tree) and made it dual deploy with an AV-bay in the bottom coupler and some epoxy reinforcements in the fincan so it's I200 capable :) turned out at 2 lbs on the nose:y::eyepop:! Almost 2X what Estes quotes! what's the weight on yours, and what are your plans for a paint scheme? or are those secret? ;) Also, I vote Argent Arrow; Stickershock could probably whip up some awesome graphics for you- Mark's a great guy to work with.

Nate

PS, what's that putty you're using? I see lots of sanding it the future!:)

Nate

Dang, You cant climb the tree it's in? or do a lil trimming:wink: This argent is my second, but I still got Copper Top, so it had to be differant. Weight is 500g right now, so I'm guessing it will weigh around 650-700g after paint & clear. Colour on the argent? not sure yet exactly, but it will have some:p I only know silver will be involved since argent in french is silver, the phoenix will be a bit diff then stock, but close to it. "putty" is dap, fast & final with a few drops of water added.

I finished my madcow Pheonix, I'm happy with the way in turned out. I'll get a final weight on it tonight after clearcoat. But I know it's over 300g Here is a few pics of it before clear. In NC I cut tip & added a carrage bolt & washer so now it has more nose weight. I'm thinking first flight will on be a f20 or f23. My Argent Arrow is in paint.
Picture 5205.jpgPicture 5206.jpgPicture 5207.jpg

Here is a few pics of my Argent arrow's paint process. Primer, black, then red. It's an evolving design so I'm not sure exactly what it will look like, but next colour is silver.
Picture 5202.jpgPicture 5203.jpgPicture 5204.jpg

Here is my Argent Arrow all painted up but before clear(like usual) Don't got an official weight, but I'm guessing just under 600g it will end up. Also got pieces ordered for another 29mm motor scratch build.
Picture 5255.jpg

Time to start my next scratch built rocket since I got most of the parts I want to use. This has a name but I won't say what it is quit yet, but I can say it will have a 29mm motor tube thats 12" long so it can handle large 29mm motors, & it will be built to withstand a bit of abuse. First pic is most of the parts I'll be using, second pic is setting up to cut bt for ttw fins, 3rd pic shows first slot cut.
Picture 5265.jpgPicture 5266.jpgPicture 5267.jpg

Time to start my next scratch built rocket since I got most of the parts I want to use. This has a name but I won't say what it is quit yet, but I can say it will have a 29mm motor tube thats 12" long so it can handle large 29mm motors, & it will be built to withstand a bit of abuse. First pic is most of the parts I'll be using, second pic is setting up to cut bt for ttw fins, 3rd pic shows first slot cut.
View attachment 188837View attachment 188838View attachment 188839

Looking interesting...
Hey CRC, do you have any plans to try electronic deployment in the near(ish?) future??

edit: Oh, and I love the paint on the Argent. Very cool looking. I love the red, black, silver paint scheme on any rocket. Really great work on the modifications!
Nate

Last edited:
Looking interesting...
Hey CRC, do you have any plans to try electronic deployment in the near(ish?) future??

edit: Oh, and I love the paint on the Argent. Very cool looking. I love the red, black, silver paint scheme on any rocket. Really great work on the modifications!
Nate

Electronics.....eh I'm not sure for future, but for now no cause I'd rather spend the $ on motors, plus I like to keep the altitude under 3000' so I can see the events/rockets so I don't see a point. Having my Alt one,my tracker & possibly my beeper are plenty of electrinics to lose & I like the fact they wont cause a CATO :D

Here is my progress on my latest scratch build I named Naked & Afraid, since it wont have any paint, just clear & it's name. I got buttons on(not shown) via flange nuts, the MM is in with aft centering ring to be put in after, & 1 fin is on. Also got the sc mount/baffle made. The trick I have with this build is that I got no paint to hide any dents, glue or anything that happens to it. So I'm trying to be neat & carefull with it.
Picture 5269.jpgPicture 5270.jpg

I finished my scratch built "Naked & Afraid" rocket, It's 45" tall, 2.6" diameter, about 700g, 29mm motor mount. I'll prob fly it at our christmas launch.
Not sure if I should use a 30" chute or a 36 with spillhole chute.
I also bought & started a Sirius rocketry Eradicator(took pic but must have deleted it) After that I got no more to build & am not planning on building anymore for a while, time for a change so I bought a gold claim :)
Picture 5381.jpg

I finished my scratch built "Naked & Afraid" rocket, It's 45" tall, 2.6" diameter, about 700g, 29mm motor mount. I'll prob fly it at our christmas launch.
Not sure if I should use a 30" chute or a 36 with spillhole chute.
I also bought & started a Sirius rocketry Eradicator(took pic but must have deleted it) After that I got no more to build & am not planning on building anymore for a while, time for a change so I bought a gold claim :)
View attachment 247318

Hah! That's one way to avoid painting a rocket....

I have been slowly getting my sirius rocketry eradicator done, I got the pieces I want to use together & got the MM done & glued inside the Aft bt. I also got upper bt centering rings glued on the MM tube. I upgraded the Kevlar sc mount to a thicker piece of kevlar. I'll be changing a few other things too like a thicker elastic for sc & an estes screw on retainer, as well as I'm using a chute protector. Tonight I'll be epoxying the retainer & sc mount, then to start sanding the fins I've been filling.
Picture 5441.jpg

I got the shock cord epoxied on & also got 3 fins on sofar. Just finished sanding 4th fin so that will go on tonight or in morn then fillet time.

Picture 5443.jpgPicture 5444.jpgPicture 5452.jpg

My eradicator is coming along nicely, still got to do alot of fillets around strakes & tail rings, but both are on the rocket. I had to split the upper tail ring, cause I glued strakes on first. I'll be doing a slightly diff paint scheme then stock, next is fillet, fillet, fillet.
Picture 5455.jpgPicture 5456.jpgPicture 5462.jpg

I've been working on my eradicator this holiday break & got the filling & sanding done along with primer coats. Here is a few pics of before I sanded the filler.
Picture 5472.jpgPicture 5476.jpgPicture 5477.jpg

Back