S.M.A.R.T. 29mm Av-Bays

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWC

Reaction score
Additive Aerospace and Missile Works have teamed up to bring you the 29mm S.M.A.R.T. ("Super Modular Altimeter Recovery Technology") Sled System.
A picture is worth a thousand words (so they say) so here's several pics so you can get an idea of what's cooking:

Here's the complete av-bay inside a 29mm "blue tube" coupler.
It's sized to fit all popular 29mm coupler standards (LOC, PML, Blue Tube, RW, etc...).
The S.M.A.R.T. Sled System is also designed to use 5mm pitch compression terminals for charge wiring.
100_2040.jpg

Here's the unfinished "removable" bulkhead end showing the charge terminal wiring holes.
Notice also the 1/8" notch in the bulkhead (for your 1/8" Kevlar harness).
The S.M.A.R.T. Sled System is easily removed from the coupler by unscrewing the threaded bulkhead retainer fitting.
100_2041.jpg

Here's the sled itself removed from the coupler tubing.
The removable bulkhead is also popped out to expose the battery compartment.
The S.M.A.R.T. Sled System utilizes the Spark Fun 400mAH Li-Ion battery (same as our 29/38mm modular sleds).
100_2042.jpg

Wondering how the S.M.A.R.T. Sled System anchors to your 1/8" Kevlar harness? Wonder no more...
Simply knot the 1/8" Kevlar around a standard 8-32 nut and shove it into the pre-made "hex hole".
Knot some loops to attach to other harness material or go all the way with continuous 1/8" Kevlar for your project.
100_2043.jpg

Here's the heart of your S.M.A.R.T. Sled System... our new "screw-switch" and the RRC2+ Altimeter.
It's shown partially complete so you can get an idea of how it all gets "woven" together.
(Yes, "other altimeter" footprints will be supported. Contact "landru" for details).
100_2044.jpg

And here's the best part... the COMPLETE 29mm S.M.A.R.T. Sled System is only $14.95.
I will also be offering several "bundled variants" (at bundle pricing savings), including a 100% turn-key package (sans battery).

Dates on availability to be announced imminently...
In addition, look for additional S.M.A.R.T. Sled System component offerings to be announced very soon.

Last edited:
Fine! Be that way. You just HAVE to keep making cool stuff leaving me no choice but to send you my money, don't you? Okay, I get it. I GET IT ALREADY!

(funds forthcoming shortly)
s6

How long of a coupler is this designed for ?

Looks very interesting ! Great price too...

Kenny

Last edited:
Any other sizes going to be made?? I would like to see a 38mm.

Jim more or less says that Andrew is working on it, however when can we expect to see variants for the Stratologger or Raven?

Last edited:
Nice! Will there be one to fit the RRC3? Preferably as short as possible?

Hey jim,

How about one that can drop in where the CPR3K fits and then we don't have to deal with trying to find Co-Pilots any more?

Yes there are a few of us that actually use the CPR3K

It's definitely on the "to do" list...

Perfect. I'm planning on replacing all of my alts to Missileworks units. My old RRC2 never let me down, and the customer support has always been the best.

Everything to improve ebay is a step in the good direction, I like the fact your system don't use metal, it's good to see peoples working on the Ebay solution, cause the one with threaded rods really sucks.

Your product will be nice if longer so I will be able to use 2 of them in a 4" + rocket, so I can have redundancy and anchor the chock cord between them in the middle of the bulk plate. Will be nice to have a model that can accommodate tracker ( GPS or Radio ) so I can use them in the nose cone.

Last edited:
If exposed tho the heated gases of the ejection, how does the plastic or whatever it is hold up, have you done any tests, if so just one or more, etc.?

Simply looking for an idea of how long something like this will last under the realities of nominal usage.

If exposed tho the heated gases of the ejection, how does the plastic or whatever it is hold up, have you done any tests, if so just one or more, etc.?

Simply looking for an idea of how long something like this will last under the realities of nominal usage.

No issues so far.

Everything to improve ebay is a step in the good direction, I like the fact your system don't use metal, but I question the strength of the plastic use in those 3D printer for hold Kevlar shock cord.

You can run the Kevlar through the full length of the bay, using one continuous piece both above and below the bay, if you want. That way, there's no recovery load on the bay.

Your product will be nice if longer so I will be able to use 2 of them in a 4" + rocket, so I can have redundancy and anchor the chock cord between them in the middle of the bulk plate. Will be nice to have a model that can accommodate tracker ( GPS or Radio ) so I can use them in the nose cone.

PLA has a Tg in the 60 - 65C range, but remember that it will only be exposed to the charge for a very short period of time, if at all. I'd expect it to pick up marks like plywood bulkheads do, but not a lot beyond that. That could be easily resolved by dropping a small bit of dog barf on top of the PLA bulkhead, then put your charge on top of that.

-Kevin

You can run the Kevlar through the full length of the bay, using one continuous piece both above and below the bay, if you want. That way, there's no recovery load on the bay..

-Kevin

Yes my bad, I check again and I see the groove on the side, I tough first it was hold on the end cap....this is a very nice product.

I will have the 29mm S.M.A.R.T. sleds with me at LDRS, so look me up if you're interested and you're at the event. I'll also have another new S.M.A.R.T. component as well to show.

I will have the 29mm S.M.A.R.T. sleds with me at LDRS, so look me up if you're interested and you're at the event. I'll also have another new S.M.A.R.T. component as well to show.
Jim- should I order sleds now? I hope you're building a boatload of them-I decided two weeks ago to try and standardize on teh RRC2+ but I refuse to give up my old school RRC2's and the bagfull of mini's

Jim- should I order sleds now? I hope you're building a boatload of them-I decided two weeks ago to try and standardize on teh RRC2+ but I refuse to give up my old school RRC2's and the bagfull of mini's

If I don't sell out of sleds, I will have them available early next week in the shopping cart.

If I don't sell out of sleds, I will have them available early next week in the shopping cart.

I'm going to pick up one tomorrow at LDRS for my DD Argent

Ed

Last edited:
Back