S.M.A.R.T. 29mm Av-Bays

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I'm a helpful kind of guy, I'll drool on one for you at LDRS. :)

-Kevin
Drool on one for me and then have Jim ship it to me. Always looking for prime DNA for the 'breeder' reactor in the World Domination Machine. Plus I can get my very own mentor 24/7! I'll call him 'Trogeny'-somehow "Admini" just doesn't do justice....

Drool on one for me and then have Jim ship it to me. Always looking for prime DNA for the 'breeder' reactor in the World Domination Machine. Plus I can get my very own mentor 24/7! I'll call him 'Trogeny'-somehow "Admini" just doesn't do justice....

Dude....cut back on the AP dust... ;)

I saw these in person at LDRS - they're very well designed and produced!

-Kevin

I looked, but saw no Missileworks vendor booth??

He didn't have a booth as such, he was sitting in the tent north of Wildman with Crazy Jim a lot and had some stuff on a table there. He had a 38mm 3d printed nosecone that the small sled fit into. Pretty neat stuff. Picked up a couple of screw switches to try to get my Dra Glow lit up.

Adrian

At long last, the 29mm S.M.A.R.T. sleds are ready!

Please refer to the first post in this thread regarding the details of the S.M.A.R.T sled:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67363-S-M-A-R-T-29mm-Av-Bays

I will be placing our available stock in the shopping cart this Sunday, and I'll make an announcement here in this thread once they are posted.
The price for the 29mm S.M.A.R.T sled is $14.95. Included with each sled are all required mounting screws, standoffs, and the Li-Ion JST socket connector.
I'll also offer a value pack with bulkhead terminals and our new screw switch.

Along with the release of the new S.M.A.R.T. sled system is the new 3D-Printed 38mm "AltiCone":

38mm RRC2+ AltiCone.png
Dimensional drawing so you can check against your body tube of choice.
This cone fits all nominal 38mm tubing.

AltiCone 38-2+.png
Here's the cone, and the removable "threaded" cone coupler.
The cone is easily sanded, filled, primed, and paintable.

SMART 38 shoulder.png
Here's the S.M.A.R.T. sled nestled into the AltiCone shoulder.
Perfect for ride along apogee measurements and deployments.
Easily modified to support a cutter device and dual deployment duties.

The RRC2+ 38mm AltiCone will sell for $29.95... perfect for that minimum diameter 38mm project you've been wanting to fly.
In addition, we'll soon have an RRC3 compatible S.M.A.R.T Sled and AltiCone systems ready for sale.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Last edited:
Virtually all of the design credit goes to landru...
I basically get to review prototypes and make an occasional design suggestions here and there.

Is the Stratologger version going to be available any time soon?? Is there a spot inside for the battery?

Too cool! I like it!

Last edited:
The AltiCone looks great. And well priced.

The big question: what sort of velocity will they be capable of?
As stated above, these seem like they'd be "perfect for that 38mm minimum diameter you've been wanting to fly". But with that in mind, it would be good to know what the upper end speed limit would be for this material. With 38mm MD rockets, it can be pretty easy to go VERY fast, and I'd be concerned with melting/shredding at some point.

Has anyone done a "test to destruction" with these yet? Do you want someone to?

s6

I don't think we know where the exact point of destruction is with a PLA cone... Landru's last real push apparently came apart somewhere north of mach 2 (mach 2.8 per the parrot data), and I'm not sure if he attributed the failure to the cone or the surface mounted fins...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?63758-25mm-to-M3

I don't have the toolset to speculate, either.
Hopefully Landru will be able to post here and shed some empirical data with the extreme flying he has done with PLA.

Mach 2.8! That would melt the best of plastic nose cones.

Mach 2.8! That would melt the best of plastic nose cones.

Admittedly it was only there for a very small fraction of a second...

We have confirmed the 38mm nosecone survives M1.7 on a nominal MD flight on a 38-1200 motor.

Yes, Landru sells sleds for those "other" altimeters...
He will be placing this in his shopping cart soon very soon.
www.additiveaerospace.com

Thanks Jim, I really wanted the Missileworks altimeter but ended up with a Stratologger. I think it was at the time of the great Colorado Washout and they were not available. If the LCD screens come back in stock I will be open to buying one then. I like the LCD screen idea. I will keep an I out for the Landru to Post those parts and for the Screens to be back on stock.

Ok the Alti-cone and the SMART were too cool. I got those and a RRC2 to go in it. Just under a hundred dollars with shipping, how can you beat that deal??

I will add a Smart sled for my Strato later.

Thanks for making awesome products!

Received mine today!! When I first felt the cone it felt really rough, but once I wiped it down gently with Acetone to clean it the edges were gone. Sprayed a coat of Primer on it so regulate how much I sand off.
side by side with the Estes nose cone for my Hi-Flier XL
IMAG0480[1].jpg
After acetone and primer.
IMAG0482[1].jpg

All smooth and painted
IMAG0493.jpg

One question: Do I need to drill through the body tube and shoulder of the nose cone for vent holes??

Back