Stock Estes Leviathan build thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSLSCAC

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed around here is there is a lot of build threads where the builder shows off their awesome builds with a ton of mods like zipperless systems, baffles, etc...

Which is helpful for people looking to expand their knowledge beyond base systems...

But what's lacking is build threads for the basic new BARs like myself.
Sometimes we just wanna see how things are right out of the package lol.

So, we're building this Leviathan with very minimum mods, the only thing that's not going to be stock is rail buttons (our first button install, thanks to www.rail-buttons.com) and custom vinyl wrap (our first vinyl wrap thanks to www.stickershock23.com)

This rocket is for a birthday present for my son who turns 8 August 5th, so he will be helping up until the wrap part. The wrap is going to be AMAZING and I think he'll like it a ton!

This is also our first PSII build, so I hope it turns out good!

Without further ado, we present, The Estes Leviathan basic build!

Also, this thread isn't meant to be an eff yall type thread... Just sometimes yalls fancy build threads are a little over bearing for guys just looking for BASIC help :)

Last edited:
First thing is cutting the bag open and laying out the parts -

It appears everything is here! So on to step 1!

Last edited:
First step is pushing the green spacer (the larger of the two green spacers, the other is the block) over the NC to slightly expand its diameter.

The next step is sliding the green spacer over the mmt so that it's even with the end of the mmt. Then slide one of the centering rings down to the opposite side of the green spacer, gluing it in place and removing the green spacer.

This will be as far as we get tonight, work calls early tomorrow morning!
And I want to let this fillet dry completely, simply because the next step involves spacing with the fins, and my OCD will not allow me to get glue on the fins just yet lol :D

Last edited:
I just finished my Leviathan last month, just waiting to fly it. I think you will love this rocket. Subscribed.

I'm glad to see someone who doesn't think it's necessary to throw away half the parts and fiberglass the rest. The main mod I did to mine was make the upper few inches a payload section. I did reorder the build slightly (left the aft centering ring unglued until after the fins were on, so that I could fillet them internally to both the motor tube and the body).

The only epoxy in it was to attach the motor retainer. Did my L1 cert on it. Have fun!

I just finished my Leviathan last month, just waiting to fly it. I think you will love this rocket. Subscribed.
Have fun! What motor are you gonna fly her on?
I'm leaving towards a G78-7G, will look cool with the scheme, but I'm not sure!

I'm glad to see someone who doesn't think it's necessary to throw away half the parts and fiberglass the rest. The main mod I did to mine was make the upper few inches a payload section. I did reorder the build slightly (left the aft centering ring unglued until after the fins were on, so that I could fillet them internally to both the motor tube and the body).

The only epoxy in it was to attach the motor retainer. Did my L1 cert on it. Have fun!
Now that's a good idea! See next post lol :)

Nothing wrong with stock... Enjoy and have fun!

:pop:
Thank you sir!

Onto the next part!

Going off BECs idea, I decided to make the ring we attached last night the forward ring.

Looking at the instructions, the aft and forward rings are both spaced evenly from the respective ends.

Flip the mmt around, slide the center center ring on to about 3/4 the way down, slide the aft ring on followed by the spacer.

Using two fins and my sons extra pair of hands we space the center ring and the aft ring with the fin. Then glue the center ring into place.

And that's it for tonight lol...

Time to spend time with the family that isn't rocket related... Don't wanna burn the kids out :)

Last edited:
Have fun! What motor are you gonna fly her on?
I'm leaving towards a G78-7G, will look cool with the scheme, but I'm not sure!

I'm going to go with the G40-7W for the first flight and then a G78-7G.
I also have a second unbuilt Leviathan hang in my shop...it's my replacement bird if I loose the first one to the rocket gods.

I agree on building it stock and not another rocket, if that was the case you might as well scratch build...

Looking nice so far:)

Thanks!
Can't wait to show off the end game :)

Hey that would be a sweet rocket name lol...

Anyways, I went ahead and glued the opposite sides of the forward and center centering rings.

Tomorrow will be MMT install!

a suggestion/build tip; attach a couple of small screw eyes to the aft ring, this will give you something to grab onto when it comes time to slide the ring off to do the internal fillets(use the unglued ring to support the motor tube while fitting/installing the fins). also adjust the fin slots (if necessary) after you finish sanding the fins.
Rex

I'm guessing that you won't be papering the fins...
You know, I'm not sure.
My SBP is to paper all balsa fins all the time, but since these fins are plywood and also will have vinyl wrap, I'm not sure papering becomes a necessity.

What do you think?

a suggestion/build tip; attach a couple of small screw eyes to the aft ring, this will give you something to grab onto when it comes time to slide the ring off to do the internal fillets(use the unglued ring to support the motor tube while fitting/installing the fins). also adjust the fin slots (if necessary) after you finish sanding the fins.
Rex
Good thinking Rex!
I wasn't worried about how to do that ATM...
But when it comes time to take out the aft ring, I would of been STUMPED lol.

I ordered some 1010 delrin 1 piece buttons for this today.
Got black ones instead of the white 3 piece nylons I already have.

Got them from here in case anyone is wondering -
https://rail-buttons.com/1010delrin.html

You know, I'm not sure.
My SBP is to paper all balsa fins all the time, but since these fins are plywood and also will have vinyl wrap, I'm not sure papering becomes a necessity.

What do you think?

I have a tutorial on it... Personally, I'd go ahead, as it simplifies the finishing process (no sanding sealer = less toxic fumes), and adds some strength. If your Leviathan's decals are anything like the ones I ordered from Mark, it won't be a "wrap" (I'm not complaining, I loved mine).

I've been in the presence of a L3's rocket (I don't have my L1), and I'd take my papered fins over his (unpapered) any day of the week.

Last edited:
You know, I'm not sure.

What do you think?

Good thinking Rex!
I wasn't worried about how to do that ATM...
But when it comes time to take out the aft ring, I would of been STUMPED lol.

I ordered some 1010 delrin 1 piece buttons for this today.
Got black ones instead of the white 3 piece nylons I already have.

Got them from here in case anyone is wondering -
https://rail-buttons.com/1010delrin.html

+1 with Rex's comment on aft ring

forgot to add, remove the screw eyes after gluing the aft ring in place. not sure I would paper the fins, carpenters wood filler is water based with few fumes...:).
Rex

I have a tutorial on it... Personally, I'd go ahead, as it simplifies the finishing process (no sanding sealer = less toxic fumes), and adds some strength. If your Leviathan's decals are anything like the ones I ordered from Mark, it won't be a "wrap" (I'm not complaining, I loved mine).

I've been in the presence of a L3's rocket (I don't have my L1), and I'd take my papered fins over his (unpapered) any day of the week.

I've just been using Avery full page label paper... No glue mess!
BUT, I think I will start CAing the edges ala squeegee, that's a great idea!

I'm still undecided about papering... We'll see how it goes lol.

+1 with Rex's comment on aft ring

forgot to add, remove the screw eyes after gluing the aft ring in place. not sure I would paper the fins, carpenters wood filler is water based with few fumes...:).
Rex

Aaaannnndddd after all this eye screw talk, I forgot to stop on my way home lol... DOH!

I went ahead and glued the forward and the center rings in.
The directions say to put a line of glue per ring, but obviously the forward ring squeegees :)D) the center glue line forward, so I ended up with a TON of glue on the forward side of the forward ring.

I scooped out what I could and spread the rest around.

I'll let this dry up then get a fillet around the aft side of the center ring before bed.

with through the wall/tube fins, thrust loads are transferred from the motor tube to the airframe via the fins (for the most part) so, the centering rings main job is to keep the motor tube centered, carrying thrust loads is secondary(note if you use the forward ring as a shock cord anchor then yes you will need a good glue joint).
Rex

What kind of CA do y'all use?

I don't really feel like driving the 20 miles to hobby lobby, but the 2 mile drive to Walmart isn't out of the question lol

What kind of CA do y'all use?

I don't really feel like driving the 20 miles to hobby lobby, but the 2 mile drive to Walmart isn't out of the question lol

superglue.jpg

Wally World, Dollar Store, whatever... works for me. BTW I appreciate the spirit of this thread and with that in mind I would not paper the fins. That ply is pretty dense and won't take much filling and my feeling is you don't get as much of a strength boost as when you paper balsa. :2:

Oh yeah, that forward centering ring ain't goin' nowhere ! :)

Last edited:
One suggestion I have, and it means veering away from totally stock, is DON'T put in the motor block. Most/all APCP 29mm motors have a shoulder that seats against the aft shoulder of the MMT, and prevents fly through. All the engine block will do is limit what length motors you can use (of course, it is sized for the Estes 29mm APCP motors). At least, that is my 2 cents. I did the overbuilt version of a Leviathan last year and did my L1 on it too.

I have (2) 29 mm and (1) 24 mm Estes retainers installed. No issues, but only 4 flights total.

View attachment 177235

Wally World, Dollar Store, whatever... works for me. BTW I appreciate the spirit of this thread and with that in mind I would not paper the fins. That ply is pretty dense and won't take much filling and my feeling is you don't get as much of a strength boost as when you paper balsa. :2:

Oh yeah, that forward centering ring ain't goin' nowhere ! :)
TY sir!
I'm leaning towards no paper myself.

These fins are STOUT already, and I'm kinda feeling like paper is more work than what it would be worth.

One suggestion I have, and it means veering away from totally stock, is DON'T put in the motor block. Most/all APCP 29mm motors have a shoulder that seats against the aft shoulder of the MMT, and prevents fly through. All the engine block will do is limit what length motors you can use (of course, it is sized for the Estes 29mm APCP motors). At least, that is my 2 cents. I did the overbuilt version of a Leviathan last year and did my L1 on it too.
I was curious about this, but was gonna go with the flow lol.
I did leave the block out, since the instructions say optional.
So there's a shoulder on the aft end of all these motors?
And it just butts up against the motor tube?

How do you guys like the ESTES Retainers?

I have (2) 29 mm and (1) 24 mm Estes retainers installed. No issues, but only 4 flights total.

No issues for me yet either, of coarse, this is our first one look.

So, I fell asleep last night before I could glue the aft of the center ring.
I did it just now, and will be heading to Walmart to find a turkey baster or something like that to do the fins.
The glue on the end of a screw driver method worked OK for the center ring, but I wanna be a little more precise for the fins... What do y'all use for internal fillets?

I'll also pick up eye screws and the aft of the center center ring should be dry when I get back!

I'm also gonna paint the fire ant red today, that's our homemade pad!

Last edited:
I generally use bamboo skewers, I did see a flavor injector at the grocery store(near the skewers) that might be useful(combine with some Si fuel line & brass tubing to make whatever length injector you may want :)). I will suggest putting a wrap of tape around the end of the motor tube to keep any glue off it until you are ready to glue the aft ring in place and a damp rag to clean the body tube if needed.
Rex

I generally use bamboo skewers, I did see a flavor injector at the grocery store(near the skewers) that might be useful(combine with some Si fuel line & brass tubing to make whatever length injector you may want :)). I will suggest putting a wrap of tape around the end of the motor tube to keep any glue off it until you are ready to glue the aft ring in place and a damp rag to clean the body tube if needed.
Rex

I'm going with a completely FREE medicine dispenser for kids medicine lol.

It's free, it doesn't hold a lot, so it takes less volume to put out a nice bead and oh yeah, it's free!

I skipped fin attachment step and attached the coupler to the forward BT

I'll continue to skip the fins until I find out how the BT wrap works lol... I'd hate to attach the fins then have to slice and dice the wrap to get it on!

Once the coupler is semi dry, I'll attach it to the aft BT.

BTW, I sprayed the fire ant, will have a thread in ground support with it soon as top side dries, bottom side dries, and and I get the stickers on.

It's a sultry 97 degrees out... Need water! Lol

Sultry = not the right adjective lol

More like arid
Pueblo West, Colorado!

Anyways, I sanded the edges out of the NC, roughed up the surface, masked the coupler and sprayed the tape with clear coat.

Back