Remember your first time?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersteve

Reaction score
Mine was a Centuri Screaming Eagle in 1979. I had built quite a few plastic model plane kits by twelve years of age but I didn't even know there was such a thing as flying model rockets. We launched out of a friends backyard, it bordered a farmers field so if I tilted her right she didn't blow too far back into the neighborhood. I got a few flights out of her on several diiferent occasions, eventually she got the ol' C6-7 goodbye kiss, never saw her again.

back in the third grade for me is when i pressed the first launch button and I was hooked ever since. Built the last one when I was about 14 and never flew it. Fast forward to 20 years later when I built and pressed the button once again.... and it felt like the first time all over again.

I think I will be hooked for abit once again.

My newest project...
rocket.jpg

I think my first rocket was some sort of payload kit. Maybe the X-Ray? I remember the payload tube was bigger than the main tube, and I painted it some god awful shade of orange. Had to be 1975-77?? Somewhere in there.
I remember flying it a couple of times. Then I got some sort of two stage Arrow something???

Adrian

Mine was an Estes Beta during the summer of 1977 following my freshman year in high school. The whole neighborhood had been bitten by the bug when the guy who lived two houses up from me launched an Estes Scout on a C6-5 from his back yard. It landed up the street and lost a fin, so it was the only flight we saw that day, but every kid who saw it had a rocket of their own by the time the streetlights came on that night. My brother and I each chose the Beta after missing out on the Estes Rogue to a neighbor by about ten minutes. I painted mine like the package showed. Dave opted for white with metallic lime green and metallic burgundy stripes. We also split a pack of motors.
After construction and paint, we all strapped our gear to our bikes and headed out to one of the parking lots at NKU for an afternoon of flying. My brother lost interest after the first flight, so I inherited his remaining motor and wound up making three flights on the day. Our launch gear consisted of a straightened coathanger driven into a dowel that was screwed into a piece of plywood. Ignition was handled by firecracker wicks lit with a Bic lighter. We used cotton balls or toilet paper for recovery wadding, and I can still remember watching a smoldering cotton ball falling to earth and landing in the weeds next to the parking lot. The parking lot was asphalt, but as far as I remember, we never lost a fin that day. Other than our Betas and the Rogue, a couple of Mosquitos, a Javelin/Super Flea combo and the repaired Scout flew that day.
Yeah, I kinda remember it.:wink:

I remember the first model rocket I witnessed... a friend who also read Marvel Comics had received a rocket kit for his birthday, and he invited me and every kid he knew to the elementary school to watch it launch. It was an odd sort of hand written invitation that he had delivered, not to the birthday party, but to the launch. I didn't understand what it was, or what a motor was, but I was curious.

At the appointed hour, 1pm Saturday, we gathered at the school athletic field and everyone wanted to huddle around this model rocket. I couldn't understand what the big deal was, as they (the father and the son) urged us to back off and given them some room. Between the two of them, they blocked the view and we couldn't see what they were doing to it.
We stood back as they preped the rocket and set it on the launch rod.

When the kid pressed the button, it didn't clear the pad, but fell over, and the tube burned some. He had used facial tissue instead of recovering wadding, so when the ejection charge fired, it caught fire. It was a disappointment and he was in tears.

I was embarrassed for him, and pedaled away on my bike rather quickly. I never saw if he finished repairing it, or if it was salvageable.
He didn't invite us for a second attempt. I felt bad for him. (He still won't return my facebook messages all these years later. I'd love to know what model rocket it was...)

Last edited:
MY first rocket was about two years ago, shortly after I had realized that I had missed the Rocket Boys festival in southern WV AGAIN... so I looked up any and all club rocket launches in our region, and found there was one that was going to happen the very next day in Western Ohio. So I got up early, jumped in the car, drove like hell to arrive around noon, and watched some of them launch rockets outside of Dayton (South Charleston, OH).

I had stopped on the way to buy something simple at a Hardware store in Lancaster, and chose the simplest level 2 that I could find...a Freedom II rocket, and then went to the launch. WHile I was there, I asked a lot of questions and watch a lot of rockets. Finally I asked a vendor for some assistance in finding something a little more challenging for my NEXT rocket, but which would use the same value of A8-3 motors for my first rocket. I picked up an IRIS from Semroc and headed home.

Though delayed, I started on my Freedom II and moved extremely slowly through the steps, not understanding what I was building. I got the motor mount right, and the fins on (but with weak white glue/paste) and then sealed and primed the fins, and eventually masked and painted the rocket in red/white/blue from the remainder of some cans that I had.

I took the rocket and the juryrigged launch pad out to the area golf course, and with a 9 volt lantern battery and a single pack of A8-3 and dog barf, preped the rocket carefully. I stretched out my 12 foot twisted pair of Bell wire and made a hot connection. The motor ignited, and the rocket lept into the air, much faster than I had expected. The chute deployed, but came down a bit faster and harder than I would have thought. One of the fins cracked off on impact on the soft green grass of the driving range.

I retrieved it and then was chased off the unused range by the attendant, who assumed that I was picking up balls to steal.

Though I tried the rocket again and again, I found I kept breaking off fins...and eventually realized I had used the wrong type of glue. After some repairs with yellow glue and more fillets and another coat of pain. I got the bird to launch nicely, though low, on days that the driving range was closed...holidays and rainy days.

The IRIS was NEXT....

...Built the last one when I was about 14 and never flew it. ...

Same here, the World Federation Star Probe I'm trying to find a nosecone for in a thread in the low power forum so I can complete some unfinished business from 30+ years ago.

Funny how adolescence changes a young fellow's priorities.

What is that gizmo in your photo? A jig to assist assembly?

...and another coat of pain. ...

This is a common ingredient in most of my projects, rocketry and otherwise.

Same here, the World Federation Star Probe I'm trying to find a nosecone for in a thread in the low power forum so I can complete some unfinished business from 30+ years ago.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/estes_model_rocket_sci-fi_nose_cone_bt-50_and_bt-55_assorted_shapes_3173
This nose cone assortment contains just what you need.

I've got the World Federation Star Probe 80% finished at home. I bought the decals from Excelsior a couple of years ago, but my progress has been slow. Maybe this mention is the kick in the pants I need to finish it.

i was around 10 and bought a COX 2 stage X-15 as my first rocket. I screwed up and put a regular delay (3 second i believe) in the first stage. launched with a firecracker fuse. rocket went up fine but cocked over during the 3 second delay and then fired the second stage into the ground. destroyed on its first flight. no telling how much it would be worth today if still in the original packaging. o well, the last rocket i built was my 1/38 scale X-15 funny to begin and end on the same rocket.

I was 8 years old and got a quest alpha 3 starter set. My parents had no idea he's they were getting into:):)

Mine was when I was about 7/8. It was an Estes RTF speed demon. It had some little velocity measurer(?) In the nose cone. On the first launch, I was so focused on pushing the awesome little launch button that I forgot to look at the rocket. :facepalm: we never saw it again.
My first real rocket was an Estes Bull Pup about 2 yrs later. It's still flying strong :)

Mine was an Estes RTF Riptide. Launched it on a B motor back in 2010 (I think). I remember being blown away by how high it went. Also launched an Estes Speed Freak the same day (now OOP), but forgot to turn on the speed tracker...

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Mine was an Estes RTF Riptide. Launched it on a B motor back in 2010 (I think). I remember being blown away by how high it went. Also launched an Estes Speed Freak the same day (now OOP), but forgot to turn on the speed tracker...

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

That was the name! Speed Freak, not Speed Demon.

Nate

In 1969 I sent away for the Centuri Javelin kit out of a comic book.
We couldn't get engines in California so a built a few rockets that sat on the shelf hoping one day they'd fly.

The Johnson Smith 1969 catalog (usually the full page ad on inside cover of a comic book) listed MRI models and engines.
But the disclaimer said engines couldn't be sent to New Jersey, Washington, Oregon or California customers.
In the next catalog California was dropped from the list! A friend ordered some A3-2 engines.
We never expected them to ship. You couldn't get engines anywhere in the state unless you had the appropriate permits.

The night they arrived we were at the schoolyard. We launched a Streak.
The button was held down for quite a while on the Electro Launch controller before ignition. Photoflash batteries and bare nichrome.
It went up with a bright flash, we ran for cover under the roof overhang. It was missing until the next day at school recess.

In 1969 I sent away for the Centuri Javelin kit out of a comic book.
We couldn't get engines in California so a built a few rockets that sat on the shelf hoping one day they'd fly.

The Johnson Smith 1969 catalog (usually the full page ad on inside cover of a comic book) listed MRI models and engines.
But the disclaimer said engines couldn't be sent to New Jersey, Washington, Oregon or California customers.
In the next catalog California was dropped from the list! A friend ordered some A3-2 engines.
We never expected them to ship. You couldn't get engines anywhere in the state unless you had the appropriate permits.

The night they arrived we were at the schoolyard. We launched a Streak.
The button was held down for quite a while on the Electro Launch controller before ignition. Photoflash batteries and bare nichrome.
It went up with a bright flash, we ran for cover under the roof overhang. It was missing until the next day at school recess.

That was a great story. I enjoy reading it.

My first time was Christmas break in 1982 or 83. It was a red and white Alpha III starter set. I took it to an unused industrial park just down the road from where I lived. My parents where there as well. I was hooked on that first launch and have since introduced all of my kids to rocketry, and some of their friends as well. I have been in and out of the hobby a few times. I think this latest entry into the hobby has had me hooked the most. It has certainly cost more.

David

Not my first exposure but first purchase build and flight was 1972 age 11 or thereabouts.
Estes Alpha III starter kit that came in reusable cardboard range box with rocket kit, three motors, launch pad and controller.
Flew in cleared area adjacent to corn field in western Minnesota. Drifted into corn field and my sister found it for me.
Two igniters failed to light the motors so I had to resort to fuses from firecrackers to get all three flights in the air. Gotta keep the audience (relatives) satisfied.
If you have ever been a city kid sent to visit grandma on the farm, alone---for 8 weeks during summer break from school---you will understand how much fun that starter kit was!

Sure I remember my first time. It was one hour ago :)

As posted in "What did you do rocketwise today?":

I just flew my very first two flights! Estes Viking on A8-3 and Estes Riptide on B6-4. Very nice conditions with < 5 km/h of wind and nice sunset. One of the Viking's fin got very sligthly dented by the landing on gravel, but otherwise, perfect flights! I'll post videos soon.

The time between pressing on the launch button and ignition was the longest quarter of a second I experienced in a long time :) Same with the 3-4 seconds before chute deployment.

Man that was exhilarating. That's it. I. am. hooked. :)

My first was a class in production in 8th grade, where we broke into different groups. Some made body tubes, and some made other part.

We where then issued the produced parts to construct our own rocket.

Although my first kit was a Century Alpha 1 starter set which I got for Christmas.

Mine was in 1986. It was a Almost Ready to Fly Estes Kit/Set that came with all the Launch stuffs. It was purchased at a Hobby Store in the Hanover Mall in Massachussettes. It was my Brothers Idea to get me it. He's 10 Years my senior, and it was like the only time he's ever been nice to me.
We launched it at my Grandfathers House in Marshfield, Mass. I don't remember all the Specifics, but we recovered it a couple times.

After that, the rest is History, as I was hooked. I've taken a few breaks here and there but always come back.:)

Last edited:
The first rocket I saw launch was by my friend John. It was 1972 and I was in the 2nd grade. He was in the 1st.

He thought that was fun but been there and done than. I was hooked.

I bought an Alpha something and used my friend's launcher. I don't recall what Estes was offering at the time. The first launch was perfect. Up, down but near the trees at the end of the soccer field. A week later I didn't have anymore wadding so I used Charmin. It looked the same. Must work the same.

Nope.

Chute caught fire and melted. Pranged from 400' or so and bent the tube.

I didn't fly again until 1979 (9th grade) and by then I was hooked and mainlining rocketry.

Hello, my name is Brian and I am a rocketholic.

An Estes Alpha on a C6-7 painted purple, never found it, I think it was 1977. 37 years later still loving it.

TA

I haven't been flying model rockets as long as some of you, having started in 1992. There was an empty field near where I lived; there were Estes model rockets in a local model shop; so I felt it my duty to bring them together. The one I bought was the Patriot starter set. At that time even rockets in starter sets needed to be glued together and painted, and the Patriot was actually a Skill Level 2 kit if bought by itself. I chose it because it was supposed to be a model of a real missile, so if model rocketry turned out not to be for me, I could convert it to a static scale model. (I was already building plastic scale models of various things, which is why the idea of a scale missile appealed to me, and also why the fact that this was a Level 2 kit didn't bother me.)

When it was finished, I took the rocket to the field, set up the pad, loaded up the rocket, pressed the button and nothing happened. The batteries I'd put into the controller weren't all that fresh. I went home, got some new batteries, went back to the field, set up the rocket again, pressed the button and nothing happened. Estes hadn't yet invented the plastic plugs to hold in the igniter, which had fallen out. It was now starting to rain and I was starting to think that choosing a rocket which could be turned into a static scale model had been wise. However, I tried once more, set up the rocket again, pressed the button, and off it went. As it was on an A8-3, it didn't go all that far, but it looked high enough given that I'd never seen a model rocket flight before.

I still have the Patriot. It has not been converted to a static scale model. :D

Got an Alpha III starter kit back in '88 when one of my friends got me hooked. Headed up to the school field and, upon his suggestion, loaded a C engine (can't remember the exact type). Never saw the rocket after it left the pad, but I like to think it drifted halfway across the Everglades. Just made me crave more.

Witnessed my neighbors do a launch in the 1970s (year unknown). Said to myself, I'd like to do that. But my parents weren't willing to shell out money on yet another hobby.

I waited until I was 45 and had two kids of my own. Bought an Estes Silver Arrow launch set. Launched it once or twice and loved it.

Started buying bigger and higher kits. Had no idea that HPR existed, or even MPR. I had never heard of NAR, much less TRA. Was really psyched when I got an Estes Big Daddy with E9 engines.

Before long, I was totally MPR, and then HPR. Today, I'm 47 and Level 2. Who knew?

It was an Estes Blue Star that I built with my dad.

He was (and still is) the Scoutmaster with Troop 218 in Shakopee, MN. Every summer they do a rocket launch and I even when I was very young, I got to tag along to the launch day. Last year, I built a clone of that very rocket to add back into my fleet. I showed my dad and he was taken aback as he remembered the exact significance of that rocket. The rocket launch was always one of my favorite meetings of the year when I came into the troop.

I am an Eagle Scout as are my three younger brothers. Since my dad never made it to Eagle, I think he made it his life goal to see as many young men through to that achievement as possible. Our troop has an unbelievably high rate of Eagles. Where the national average is 2-5% of boys who start getting to that rank, our troop is steadily within the 15-25% range.

Nova Payloader for me black with Day-Glo yellow fins and cone..grasshopper,worm and some fizzy candy for that clear section!..Loved when Mark Clark and Brandy Bruce-Sharp were selling clear 54mm sections..I was too late for that by a couple years. :(

Back