Bluefin Tuba 3"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.... this project has had me mulling over lots of ideas..... most of them have a sound like " KRAKEN IT "
Since you have prooved that 6 supported tube fins (supported by each other) can survive Mach transition, what do people think of the idea of 6 fiberglass Kraken style fins? Do you think that they would survive as well as the BFT??

Hmmm.... this project has had me mulling over lots of ideas..... most of them have a sound like " KRAKEN IT "
Since you have prooved that 6 supported tube fins (supported by each other) can survive Mach transition, what do people think of the idea of 6 fiberglass Kraken style fins? Do you think that they would survive as well as the BFT??

Here's a rough cut mailing tube I'm using to play w/this exact idea.

38/42mm tube, mostly just for deciding how to jig.

1464296716618.jpg

It's your basic 30/60/90 clipped delta... in 3D! :D

Anybody know :
- the angles on a Kraken
- of any other swept tube kits
- of any swept tubefin studies
?

edit:
Actually, I have a printout that I refer to in cases when I'm considering different tube fins build. I'd like to credit the person who developed it but I don't remember from what site I downloaded it.

Anyway, it's attached to this post....er, scratch that. I found the link.

Mycroft's Tube Fin Rocket Resources

Last edited:
It's your basic 30/60/90 clipped delta... in 3D! :D

Anybody know :
- the angles on a Kraken
- of any other swept tube kits
- of any swept tubefin studies
?

edit:

You've kinda lost me there.

So the cut angle of the tube on the top is 30* and the bottom is 60*

So, did the Composite version ever get built & flown ?

I got bogged down figuring out 7:1 based on Larry Brand's research -- I need to order some Mach1 Glass to play with. As soon as my shop gets finished I hope to take everything out of the saved-from-the-barn-collapse totes and work up a jig to keep the angles both accurate and precise.

I thought you were looking at a 7.5" main airframe. Using dimensions from the Wildman site and using calculations for 7 fins, the *coupler* for 6" airframe will work. You would need to sand a flat (about .025" deep) where the tubes touch each other *not* where they touch the main airframe. I didn't see anything over 98 mm on the Mach 1 site.

Coming from this from the A-F side, may give a 24mm downsize a go. Would be amusing to go from A-M with just two rockets.

Back