Storing motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there are certain ways to store your motors, but what is the safest possible way to store anything explosive like rocket motors. I was thinking something like this

https://armysurplusstore.com/ammocansmilitarysurplus30caland50cal.aspx

I know I read somewhere the box has to be a certain size, painted red and have 3" letters labeling it as EXPLOSIVE

Motors are not explosive. Just put rocket motors on the side.

Please do not refer to rocket motors as "explosive". They are not, and the lawsuit that TRA and NAR brought against the BATFE forced them to deregulate them on the basis of them not being "explosive".

Propellant does burn fast however. Reload kits should be stored safely, built motors even more so since the fuel is now contained in a metal case. What you seem to be describing is an explosives magazine. Since motors are not explosive, it is not required. There are many rules for magazine construction - you can find them with google. Basically it has mostly to do with locks, and not having any way to make a spark inside (some homemade ones were lined inside with wood for example). You can still use such containers, but they are overkill, IMO. I used to use the fat-50 cans for f-h reloads (in original plastic packages), mostly for convenience dragging them back/forth to a launches. I got tired of lugging those boxes around, and with larger motors&inventory it becomes impractical. I keep reloads sealed in the original packages, and just put them in plastic boxes at home. The important thing for me is *where* they are stored - in a dry place without large temperature changes, far from any spark source.

Please do not refer to rocket motors as "explosive". They are not, and the lawsuit that TRA and NAR brought against the BATFE forced them to deregulate them on the basis of them not being "explosive".

Propellant does burn fast however. Reload kits should be stored safely, built motors even more so since the fuel is now contained in a metal case. What you seem to be describing is an explosives magazine. Since motors are not explosive, it is not required. There are many rules for magazine construction - you can find them with google. Basically it has mostly to do with locks, and not having any way to make a spark inside (some homemade ones were lined inside with wood for example). You can still use such containers, but they are overkill, IMO. I used to use the fat-50 cans for f-h reloads (in original plastic packages), mostly for convenience dragging them back/forth to a launches. I got tired of lugging those boxes around, and with larger motors&inventory it becomes impractical. I keep reloads sealed in the original packages, and just put them in plastic boxes at home. The important thing for me is *where* they are stored - in a dry place without large temperature changes, far from any spark source.

My apologies I didn't mean to across as them being dangerous or anything and maybe my idea of using a ammo box is overkill...just want to be safe is all.

I store my motors in an ammo can. It works and has an antispark coating.

Same is true for 81 mm mortar or 120 mm rocket cans.

Ammo cans for me, too. Be sure to confirm that the lid has a rubber gasket for an air tight seal. Authentic ammo cans have really jumped in price over the past few years for what it's worth.

Ammo cans for me, too. Be sure to confirm that the lid has a rubber gasket for an air tight seal. Authentic ammo cans have really jumped in price over the past few years for what it's worth.

Are army surplus stores a good source for them or do you have other suggestions? I went on a store today and for a 50 caliber ammo box it was around $25-30. I noticed a lot of their other stuff seemed pretty pricey. You could probably buy the some of the things they have listed from a sporting good store for a lot less. I was under the impression that because it was a "surplus" store you could get items cheap.

You can buy a palate of them for $8-10 a piece. 25 is not bad.

Are army surplus stores a good source for them or do you have other suggestions? I went on a store today and for a 50 caliber ammo box it was around $25-30. I noticed a lot of their other stuff seemed pretty pricey. You could probably buy the some of the things they have listed from a sporting good store for a lot less. I was under the impression that because it was a "surplus" store you could get items cheap.

Yes, these so called "surplus" items are rarely cheap in my view. Prices have gone up considerably over the past 10 years on ammo cans and other related items, particularly over the last 2 years. $25 or $30 for a 50 cal ammo can is way too expensive. $10 is about right. I personally prefer the UN0339 ammo cans. It's a bit taller and about twice as long as the 50 cal cans. There's 2 latches on each side so the entire lid can be removed whereas most 50 cal cans are hinged on one end. Whatever floats your boat there really, but the UN0339 cans are more versatile and store easier in my view. The lids also have supports at each corner to enable stacking to a reasonable degree. The UN0339 cans are usually marked "Inert projectile" and the ones I have are marked to have once contained 40mm grenades.... $15 is about right for them although I've seen them recently in the $20 to $25 range. These aren't mine, but they're identical to what I'm referring to:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-U-S-Mi...128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad818ed20

Places like Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Academy Sports, etc. have "ammo cans" but the ones I've seen are what I would consider dry boxes. There usually just plastic. I don't recall seeing any surplus ammo cans at these stores although it's certainly possible. Gun Shows are a good source for these.

I also have some 30 cal ammo cans. There good for Estes motors and starters I would say. You'll probably find them around more than anything else.

Oh yes, and most of this depends on the kind and volume of motors you're storing. Reloads should store well and some single use motors although the new AeroTech DMS motors like the K and L and will require a crate. I have one of those, too.........

Last edited:
I was under the impression that because it was a "surplus" store you could get items cheap.

Ah, but you live in SoCal where NOTHING is cheap. You can probably buy the same thing in Arizona for half price.

Also, people can't legally store anything over a "G" motor in Cali unless they have a "class 3" rocket license/permit, so buy your HP stuff at a launch and use it at that launch to be legal.

Yep, 50 cal ammo cans for me too. At least back when I had motor inventory. Now I let Wildman store them for me... :eyeroll:

I really need to save up money to buy motors on the black Saturday sale, but I honestly don't know what I'd need in advance. I'm kinda a "spur of t he moment flier" nowadays. I remember back when I was flush (1999) I stopped by Ross's in scenic OH and got three of every 18/20, 24/40, 29/40-120, and 29mm HP loads. Still have one or two left. Still in those ammo cans.
Now I have CTI cases 24mm up to 54mm 6XL to fill, plus all the old AT cases, plus the 98mm AT line. Too many choices......

Adrian

The only thing you need to remember is keep them away from open flame. It may sound silly, but reloads are completely safe. I keep mine in a large rolling double decker tool box (because I need the space). It is made of plastic, nothing special.

Ah, but you live in SoCal where NOTHING is cheap. You can probably buy the same thing in Arizona for half price.

Also, people can't legally store anything over a "G" motor in Cali unless they have a "class 3" rocket license/permit, so buy your HP stuff at a launch and use it at that launch to be legal.

How hard would it be to get the permit??

I picked up a couple of M2A1 ammo cans at Turner's here in So.Cal for around $16ea a few months back.

Jerome :)

Not quite clear enough. You cannot just say "rocket motors above G".

You have to be clear about any motor that is not Classified by the OSFM as a "Model Rocket Motor". Some motors in the G and lower letter classes are Classified as "Experimental High Power Rocket Motors" by the OSFM.

And then there are those motors that are not Classified...sometimes referred to as "unclassified illegal pyrotechnic devices".

Only if you want to buy, use or store rocket motors above G in California.

Tony

I know that there are certain ways to store your motors, but what is the safest possible way to store anything explosive like rocket motors. I was thinking something like this

https://armysurplusstore.com/ammocansmilitarysurplus30caland50cal.aspx

I know I read somewhere the box has to be a certain size, painted red and have 3" letters labeling it as EXPLOSIVE

Agree with all the previous posts. Please never use Rocket motors and Explosives in the same sentence...it's just NOT true or accurate.
I'll also add that even Surplus ammo cans do get expensive. particularly anything larger the 50cal cans. Recently I've been seeing "Surplus Army Ammo cans...All Plastic" for sale. I personally doubt these are anyone's surplus or worth the dollars listed.

I have four main storage containers. My bulk motor storage in the basement where unopened pack are kept. my Range Motors Box; a converted Steel Neon Transformer box, my Ready Motors Box; a 50cal Surplus Steel Army Ammo can and a Micro Motors & Igniter box.
All have done there job well for the 40+ years I've had them:)

Bulk BP Motor Chest-c-sm_2 pic pg_03-20-04.jpg

Ready Motor box-d-sm_3 pic page_12-90.jpg

MicroMaxx Motor_& All igniter type carry box_11-16-06.jpg

Not quite clear enough. You cannot just say "rocket motors above G".

You have to be clear about any motor that is not Classified by the OSFM as a "Model Rocket Motor". Some motors in the G and lower letter classes are Classified as "Experimental High Power Rocket Motors" by the OSFM.

And then there are those motors that are not Classified...sometimes referred to as "unclassified illegal pyrotechnic devices".

You are 100% correct. I did not want to overwhelm the poor guy.

Tony

Agree with all the previous posts. Please never use Rocket motors and Explosives in the same sentence...it's just NOT true or accurate.
I'll also add that even Surplus ammo cans do get expensive. particularly anything larger the 50cal cans. Recently I've been seeing "Surplus Army Ammo cans...All Plastic" for sale. I personally doubt these are anyone's surplus or worth the dollars listed.

I have four main storage containers. My bulk motor storage in the basement where unopened pack are kept. my Range Motors Box; a converted Steel Neon Transformer box, my Ready Motors Box; a 50cal Surplus Steel Army Ammo can and a Micro Motors & Igniter box.
All have done there job well for the 40+ years I've had them:)

I've skimmed this thread, and realize that it's focusing on higher power motors... a region where I have NO experience at all. But I thought this might have some ideas for me. I've puzzling over a more safe method of transporting and storing my 1/2A-A-B-C-D-E motors in something safer than a cardboard box setting over my gas tank. While I have been utilizing a shoe box and the original packaging for the motors, I'm thinking there might be a better way.

Can we hear from anyone what works for them?

Back