Poll: Anyone interested in a build thread on a Giant Leap Vertical Assault?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you follow a build thread for a GL VA?

• Yes!

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
As some of you may have read in other threads lately, I built a Giant Leap Vertical Assault for my first DD and Level 2 cert flight. I made some minor mistakes along the way; but the worst was that I did not put the correct number of holes or correct spacing for the altimeter to correctly sense the pressure, and on a flight with a K650 motor, the altimeter fired both charges simultaneously while in full acceleration, and shredded the rocket.

I really like the kit--it is easy to build, quick to build, and inexpensive. Comes with lots of extras like both chutes, fireball zipper stopper, quick links and other hardware. With the 38mm motor adapter, can fly on anything from a baby I to a big K. So I am going to build one again.

The first time through, I felt amateurish and was too nervous/embarrassed to do a build thread (also in a big hurry).

This time I plan to go more slowly, and I think I know what I am doing.

So, before I start taking pictures, is anyone interested on a build thread for this rocket? Click away!

Hi John,
Sorry to hear about the first one dying. I'd be interested to see how you build the next one. Did you describe the failure in another posting? If not, what size and number of vent holes were you using? The fastest motor/flight I've had with my VA was on a J1055. I'm considering a K at some point for it after fixing the minor playa-rash it picked up at Mudroc.

aha... found it as a post to your L2 post-flight analysis: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66889-What-happened&p=725938#post725938

-Tim

Last edited:
Of course we want a build thread!!!

I'm thinking about making one of these eventually so I would like to see what you do...

Im in, Thanks! I am waiting for a ebay coupling replacement as punishment for not checking battery voltage and coming in under drogue. Lesson learned!

Love build threads and there seems to be not so many any more.

Build thread !

I like to see the parts out of the bag , instead of the one pic photoshoped on the web..and always learn something new .

Also when I finish a rocket when done there is alwaya something I would change .. so am interested In the commetary as well as the pics.

Kenny

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing why people are voting no??

Hmmm...lots of reasons, probably. No interest in ever building a GL kit. Level 3 and not interested in a Level 2 rocket limited to Ks. Feel like they already know everything there is to know about building rockets (and some do!). Read my other posts and think I am a useless moron (may prove to be true). :eek:

So, at 16 for, 5 against, I am motivated to do it. Rocket scheduled to arrive Monday. Should have all the extras by then.

I'll be using Bondo for my fillets (should be interesting), and Duplicolor auto paint. Stock rail guides. 5-minute epoxy. JB Weld for the tail cone and rail guides.

I already have the 54 -> 38 mm motor adapter from the last time, so I will simply show the completed one in the thread.

Stay tuned!

Use anything else for the fillets. Bondo is a PITA and really is not very good (IMHO) for that use. Filled epoxy, something like SuperFil or whatever. The polyester resin in Bondo shrinks, cracks if not perfect and is rather toxic.

Yes don't use bondo for the fillets . Great for filling through

Bondo would be a good choice for the deep spirals of the magnaframe tube. But like others I would suggest a filled epoxy for the fillets - you can get Aeropoxy Light from GLR, I used that in two stages for my VA fillets. First to fill in the gaps/voids left after sliding in the motor mount and fincan into the airframe. Then once cured I added a fillet and removed the masking tape.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

After that point, bondo can be used to fix remaining imperfections.

Doesn't the GLR Vertical assault have a pre-built fin can? Does it actually need fin fillets? They don't help with the aerodynamics, so if they are structural make them out of something strong (not bondo). Otherwise leave them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Doesn't the GLR Vertical assault have a pre-built fin can? Does it actually need fin fillets? They don't help with the aerodynamics, so if they are structural make them out of something strong (not bondo). Otherwise leave them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

It comes with an almost indestructable fin can, with slots in the booster airframe into which the fins slide.

The instructions recommend mixing baby powder with six-minute epoxy to make fillets, and smoothing them with a spoon. The designers said that the epoxy with baby powder was very much like Bondo, so I thought, why not use the real thing?

That's what I did the first time, and it seemed to work out okay. But, since everyone is balking at the idea, I ordered some epoxy clay from Apogee. I'll use that instead, and also to fill the spiral grooves in the airframe. And if I run out of epoxy clay, I can finish the airframe with Bondo, since I have it.

I ordered some epoxy clay from Apogee. I'll use that instead, and also to fill the spiral grooves in the airframe. And if I run out of epoxy clay, I can finish the airframe with Bondo, since I have it.

Ah Epoxy Clay - good luck getting that to make nice fillets as well. VERY useful stuff for attaching things and fixing stuff like nose cones. I have tried it once for fillets and I had trouble getting it nice and smooth - even with the "finger dipped in acetone" trick the fillets are not even and epoxy clay is pretty difficult to sand. That said, it is a valid technique and I hope that you have better luck than I did with the stuff.

I would have ordered Rocketpoxy from Apogee rather than Epoxy Clay and used bondo or fill and finish for the spirals (or heck, just not bothered with the spirals since I'm lazy). However, I'll check in on the build and see how the Epoxy Clay works for you.

Everything has arrived except the kit, which is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Don't know how soon I'll start, but it shouldn't be too long.

One thing for sure is that I am not going to rush it. I will start a new build thread, and update as I go along. Thanks for the responses.

Latest posts

Back