HAMs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aditat2

Reaction score
Haven't been on here much lately what with the start of summer and all. Also was studying for my Ham license and passed with flying colors. Tech Class - general next. Any other Hams out there?
This is KM4BLB clear

Yep, there are quite a few. Many of them (like me) have a license due to the tracking equipment we use. Others have it because that's another hobby of theirs.

-Kevin

KG8GC here. About 1 hour ago I order myself a brand new Ten-Tec Eagle transciver. I looked at it at the Dayton, OH, HamVention but just could not make myself buy it then. I have been thinking about it since and today got on their site and placed my order. It includes a built-in antenna tuner, a noise blanker and I added a 15 kHz filter. I guess I'll have to put up an antenna now. Lightning took the last one.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ham Radio! :) I've been a ham for a long time. I've had my license since 1977, upgrading over the years as high as Advanced class. I never went for the Extra class license, because with the 20 word per minute code requirement still in place back then, it was a bit too much for me. I've been active in various ways over the years. Certainly when I became involved with high power rocketry in recent years, already being a ham made a lot of my tracking options easy.

73s,
Jim Z
WB2TAW

I'm pretty new to the HAM world myself but I've done quite a bit in the short time. I passed the technician test on April 26th at a HamCram and then took the General test at a local HamFest on June 7th and passed. I've built a J-Pole antenna from a kit and gotten it mounted in a cellulose tower in my back yard and have acquired a cheap HT along with a modest 35 watt amp and power supply. At some point I need to think about what kind of HF capable rig to get. Ideally I've love to have a Yaesu FT DX 3000 but I'll probably end up using a mobile as a base station...probably a FT857D or similar.

I've applied for a vanity call sign, too....one to honor my rocketry hobby: K4TOS (CATOs)

But until I get the final word on that (hopefully this week), I'm still KM4AUZ.

I intend to get at least Tech and probably General at some point down the line... sooner would be good but I keep not doing the legwork. Definitely handy for rockets, and APRS also looks quite interesting.

Glad to see so many. Just have an HT for now but am looking at something much nicer - hopefully not too far down the road. Going to go to the "Ham Fest/Swap meet in Fayettville later on this summer to see what I can find at a reasonable price - if anything. Am in the process of building an antenna for the roof to see how far I can get with my HT so it will prove to be interesting. I have heard about the use of radio for tracking and want to try my hand at that as well. Lots to do and so little time. Oh well, such is the nature of the beast.
73s to all.

I got mine in March.
I was KK6KZX, but but picked up the vanity call KC7RAB
I spend a little time on local repeaters, but got it so I could to rocket telemetry and tracking. :)

Last edited:
KK6FRZ . Obtained technicians license about a year ago. Currently using a Kenwood HT. I've worked a few local repeaters and checked in on a couple of amateur radio emergency services nets, but mostly, I got the license for tracking rockets with transmitters on the 70cm band.

There are most definitely a large number of hams in the rocketry community. I am WBOHZZ and received my 40 pin and certificate from ARRL last year.

--Lance.

KB1YTY - mostly for tracking flyable objects.

-Alex

woo hoo!! I checked the FCC application tracking site and I was just granted my new call sign! K4TOS it is!

Back