Estes Astron Elliptic II Kit Bash.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I recently recieved a Damaged in Shipment Astron Elliptic II. The Seller refunded my money, and I had a few useable Parts left.
I decided to make a Rocket out of the good Body Tube, Fins and Nose cone. It would be a Shame not to get to play with the beautiful Waterslide Decals that come with this Kit. Since it will be a single stage Rocket now, I'll name it the Astron Elliptic 1.

Last edited:
This will bring my 13mm Fleet to a count of 5.:)

They are great for developing and practicing Modeling Skills and require minimal Investment of Recources.

Nice looking model, great job!

Thanks.
It should look pretty nice with a close to the Original Paint Scheme and the Original Decals. Should be a great Park Flyer.
Shame the second BT was crumpled and creased, but it is an inexpensive Kit, and I'll order it again to have it the right way.

Got the Shock Cord installed, and got the Base of the Nose Cone Epoxied into the Cone.:)

I still can't believe that I actually caught the Moment of Launch! At the Field, I did'nt even bother to review my Pictures because after seeing it teleport off the Pad the first time I figured that capturing a Pic' of Take-Off was a Lost Cause.
Much to my surprise upon loading the Pics' to the Computer I found that I had indeed hit the Shutter Button at the right Instant.:D
Cropping the Pic' was necessary to get this shot.

That's one of the nicest mini engine liftoff pics I've seen!

Very cool!

Thanks Guys!
Like I said, I cropped the original Pic' down to what you see there.

Flew it today and this happened to it. I don't understand why, as it fully deployed its Streamer and landed on soft Grass.:(

Flew it today and this happened to it. I don't understand why, as it fully deployed its Streamer and landed on soft Grass.:(

It's the newer BT-20 tubes.
Check the inside of the tube. Sometimes you can see the spread of the inside spiral wraps.
If there is a gap between the wraps it lead to the buckling. Some of the BT-50 aren't any better.

Every time I make a BT-20 or 50 model it gets a coupler inside above the engine mount.
That's where all the bends occur, right above the fins.

It's the newer BT-20 tubes.
Check the inside of the tube. Sometimes you can see the spread of the inside spiral wraps.
If there is a gap between the wraps it lead to the buckling. Some of the BT-50 aren't any better.

Every time I make a BT-20 or 50 model it gets a coupler inside above the engine mount.
That's where all the bends occur, right above the fins.

That makes sense. This Rocket just was'nt meant to be I guess.

I seem to get deja vu when reading your posts.... like I've seen the same thing in one.. two.. or more threads.... hmmm

Friction fit? The area damaged is one of the weakest parts of a rocket. Be very careful when holding your model when loading a friction fit or tight motor. The slightest tweak can cause that area to become even more damaged upon a harder landing. Mostly though I've seen it happen when the motor is removed.

Another possibility is condensation... Doesn't happen too often where I am, but I have launched on colder and cloudy mornings where the inside of my rocket was damp upon return. Condensation happens on the warm side of a surface with very different temperatures inside and out.

It looks very fixable though! As said by another poster, cut and glue in a coupler. This will make it a bunch stronger in that weakest place.

Jerome :)

I seem to get deja vu when reading your posts.... like I've seen the same thing in one.. two.. or more threads.... hmmm

Friction fit? The area damaged is one of the weakest parts of a rocket. Be very careful when holding your model when loading a friction fit or tight motor. The slightest tweak can cause that area to become even more damaged upon a harder landing. Mostly though I've seen it happen when the motor is removed.

Another possibility is condensation... Doesn't happen too often where I am, but I have launched on colder and cloudy mornings where the inside of my rocket was damp upon return. Condensation happens on the warm side of a surface with very different temperatures inside and out.

It looks very fixable though! As said by another poster, cut and glue in a coupler. This will make it a bunch stronger in that weakest place.

Jerome :)

It did'nt require any Friction, as I simply used a wrap of Gorilla Tape on the outside of the Motor and MMT. That's Why I put the Aluminum Foil Tape there, to make it easy to remove Tape.
I don't know why you get Deja Vu. :mad:This is the first time this has ever happened to me. The Rocket flew without Damage the other day.

She is in Post-op Recovery right now. She'll be a little heavier, and thusly require a Diet of A10 and A3 Motors now instead of 1/2A, but she'll fly again, and that's what counts.:)

Last edited:
Back