3" Wildman HEDD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing. I keep intending to post some pictures from my build along with some flight results. I'm using a little bit less for the head end deployment (with 3x #2 nylon screws). I had good ground tests and one successful flight with 0.5 g, but that wasn't enough on the second flight. I've adjusted up 0.7 g after more ground testing.

.7 would probably do it... but one doesn't seem too excessive. I also want to try and make sure I pop it to the end of the shock cord to make sure the chute comes out.

You should be able to rinse your electronics in distilled water and let them dry. You may have to change the sensors and beepers but other components should be fine.

Steve Shannon
Prefect - Tropoli Montana
L3CC, NAR Montana.

Very nice looking, I really like the look of those switches in the vent band, are they on/off switches?

They're 110/220 voltage selector switches. Wired up to one side, they work as on off switches.

Digging up an old thread...

I'm a little confused about how the DD in this rocket works... is the main chute in the nose?

Main chute is in the nosecone. The NC shoulder is actually the av-bay. The NC is screwed to the coupler av bay with shear pins, and the whole assembly pops at apogee....then falls to the deployment altitude, when the upper NC blows off the av-bay. I just realized I don't have good photos of this. I'll try to get some tonight.

Last edited:
Ok cool. I've always liked the look of this rocket, but never really considered getting one as I didn't realize it was DD until reading this thread. It's got the perfect length to body diameter ratio IMO. Not too stubby not too long! Might have to consider it now!

What size main are you using? Also do you happen to have a sim file for it? Both the one on the Wildman website and the one on rocketreviews.com don't work in OpenRocket for some reason.

I'm using a 42" elliptical from fruity chutes for my main. I was in checking out my sim file today (it's openrocket format) trying to figure out motors to fly when our field opens up in the winter. I've flown mine on J430, J355 and a K740 (actual alt was 12,500 even though sim comes out to 10,800).

View attachment Wildman3NewHeadDeploy.ork

This is a great detailed build thread anyone could use successfully to build their kit.

I was really interested in this when Wildman had as a special of the month. I have Wild everything else from him... but I didn't because the nosecone is where I put my trackers and I believed the ebay would be to crowded and possible interferes.

Anyone else build a head end deployment kit and have a suggestion where to place the tracker (besides taping to the shock cord).

Thanks

This is a great detailed build thread anyone could use successfully to build their kit.

I was really interested in this when Wildman had as a special of the month. I have Wild everything else from him... but I didn't because the nosecone is where I put my trackers and I believed the ebay would be to crowded and possible interferes.

Anyone else build a head end deployment kit and have a suggestion where to place the tracker (besides taping to the shock cord).

Thanks

This is the only place I have put trackers to date. Works great. Use electricians tape to make sure it stays in place though.
Adrian

For mine, I put a BRB GPS on the back side of the sled with the antenna inside the bay. It's a short bay so I use a short feedline to reposition the antenna instead of on top of the unit.

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

There will be some attenuation from the 1/4" allthread and also not having a full length (about 1.5" is bent at 90 degrees) antenna. However, I've still been able to track it on flights. I'm using the 16mW version btw.

Last edited:
Do you have a wiring diagram? I would love to see how it all fits together electronically. Great build thread too.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Thanks. I left out a few things and kind threw this up after the fact. I need to get some more shots of the av-bay. Be careful when placing the all-thread. I put the holes too close to the sides and had to grind the nuts to get the nose to fit right.

Exactly which Wildman kit is this in your build? Is it still available?

Was the 3" wildman kit, bought during a special sale with DD upgrades and alum plates. I always wanted one, but didn't want to mess with a cable cutter. This was too much for me to pass up. Drives me crazy I haven't been able to fly it yet. Got the K1100T loaded, but either weather was bad...or I lost my tracker and haven't replaced it yet. Soon hopefully.

Do you have a wiring diagram? I would love to see how it all fits together electronically. Great build thread too.

Didn't do a diagram, but the first version with two altimeters and tracker was a mess. It fit....barely. Pretty standard setups for the RRC2 and 3, both wired to their own 9v ziptied to the board. The BRB900 was bolted to the back. I used https://doghouse.blastzone.org/connectors.html these for connectors so I could move the sled between this and my 3" Darkstar. Unfortunately, the DS took them all for a ride into the water. The BRB900 lived, but then met it's death in my vulcanite during a lawn dart.

I've now got a new RRC3 that's going to handle things alone for this rocket, and working on a new tracker.

Thanks. Hope it all dries out and works again.

Thanks. Hope it all dries out and works again.

Been sitting in rice for 4 months now. Still can't get data off the RRC3 or power it up. The RRC2 did live long enough to beep out 6950' from the K805G flight, but after I pulled it out and let it dry it no longer powers up.

Well, I don't know much about the electronics but a couple of thoughts.
Rice is a good desiccant but not the best. Get a better one, and then seal it in an airtight mason jar. Moisture from the air negates the effects.
Or it's possible that the water caused a short and the electronics are totally gone.
You may have already tried this but the airtime seal is not obvious.

Back