Vector Six

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
I had so much fun building the Semroc Vector V that I decided to build another one using Estes parts lying about the house; specifically, a BT-55 for the fin can and BT-20 for the main tube. This one will have six fins because that's one more than five, making it the "Nigel Tufnel version," I suppose.

To start, I cut six fins out of iTunes gift card hang tags, using the pattern from the original Centuri plans. These were glued to a 2 1/4" length of BT-55 to form the fin can.

Fin can.jpg

The engine tube is a 3" length of BT-20. The tube coupler is a scrap of one of those yellow engine spacer tubes Estes puts in their kits. I'm all out of engine hooks, so this model will use friction for motor retention.

The shroud was made using the shroud generator at the New Century Rocketry site. The pattern is attached.

Engine tube.jpg Vector Six (20-55).png

Next step is to glue the shroud to the upper centering ring and glue that assembly to the upper end of the motor tube.

Table Lamp.jpg

The upper body tube is a 6" length of BT-20. This was marked for the six vanes, and a half-inch wide wrap of 65# cardstock was glued on 5/8" from one end.
Upper Body Tube.jpg
The vanes are cut from strip balsa, using my old NWSL Chopper to assure a uniform length.
Chopper.jpg
The vanes are glued on, and this subassembly is finished.
Vanes installed.jpg
The nose cone is going to be the long pointy one that comes in the NC-20 package.

Next step will be to paint all the subassemblies.

Last edited:
im subscribing just for the spinal tap reference :) however i love this rocket and seeing a scratch build will be very helpful! thanks and keep it up

Here we are with all four subassemblies painted, the shock cord installed in the upper body tube, and the engine mount mated to the fin can.
Painted subassemblies.jpg
And...we're all done!
Vectors.jpg

Back