Loki Research motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman13

Reaction score
OK so I am new to the whole Loki research motors but I wanted to know if there was a way to use an adapter system like the aerotech system in a Loki reload? or do you have to buy every single case? Another thing I was wondering was if you can use the aerotech delay drilling tool on the Loki delays?

-Connor

Loki doesn't have a spacer system so you pretty much have to have every size case. As far as drilling I have used the AT drilling tool with no problems.

Loki doesn't have a spacer system so you pretty much have to have every size case. As far as drilling I have used the AT drilling tool with no problems.

I'm pretty sure they were designed to use Cesaroni's Delay Adjustment Tool, although it's interesting to learn AeroTech's tool will work as well.

Also to note: You need to get the case AND nozzle for the load you want to use.

120ns: #10 nozzle
240ns: #16 nozzle
480ns: #19 nozzle.....etc etc

This, of course changes if you're flying the I110 but that is documented a bunch of different ways.

For the price, the H and I motors hardware and reloads are a very good deal. Coming from the CTI world where you can get the 3&6 grain motors and use spacers I can understand the frustration that you have to buy a case for every load, but on the other hand, Loki motors are designed specifically to eke out every possible NS out of that size hardware. I think that it is probably *technically* possible that Scott could create a spacer system I think that only increases the chances of a motor failure and that is a risk I don't think that Scott would take with his brand.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Do it! :) one thing I will add is nice snapring pliers are very much worth it - I got a nice ~$15 pair with free shipping off of amazon, and have never had a snapping fly off, honestly it has been no harder than properly threading a regular closure. The re-usable nozzles are a bit scary coming from the basically single use CTI loads, but cleanup only takes a few minutes, the new liners really work great!

Connor,

As Pyrobob said, Loki 38mm motors are designed to work with the CTI DAT Tool. Any drill bit will work, but they MUST be drilled to the correct depth, and using the DAT Tool ensures the correct depth is drilled every time.

On the products page for 38mm hardware, the nozzle size is listed for each commercial motor. As Jason mentioned, the exception to this is the 38/480 I-110 moon burner. It uses the #16 nozzle from the 240 hardware. On the front of every instruction sheet, there is a small chart which lists the motor specification and delay times for each reload. This includes the nozzle throat size and case length
Don't get confused though by the 38mm EX hardware. The only difference is that the EX hardware comes with a plugged bulkhead and the next larger case sizes nozzle. In reality, you can get any nozzle throat size you want to request on an EX motor.

Jason, just to correct you, the 38/480 is a #19 nozzle. The 38/740 has a #22.

Loki Research has never had a spacer system. The concern has always been that if the user does not properly clean the hardware down inside the case, the forward closure o-ring may not properly seal when it's 4.5" down inside the case, resulting in a burn through.

However, I have recently purchased some aluminum tubing in which to make spacers from. There is no doubt they will add weight to the hardware though, and they would need to be certified for use first as well. There would be 2 spacers available, in 2.19" and 4.5". The 2.19" would work to adapt the 240 down to the 120, and the 4.5" would adapt the 740 and the 480 down to the 480 and 240 respectively. So with one of each, you could purchase the 740 and 240 hardware and fly the 480 and 120 hardware, but you would still need to purchase the #19 & #10 nozzles for the 480 & 120. Just know that this is not something which is right around the corner though. It is more on the horizon.

Spacers are great, in theory. I've got them for both my AT and CTI in 29 and 38 kits. Know how many times I've used any of them? Zero. I've got three and six grain cases, and if If I'm gonna fly a 2, hell why not a three? And If I'm going to a one grain load, It's probably pushing the weight or size as it is and can't carry all the extra metal of a 3 grain and spacers.

They certainly have their place, And I like the flexibility of being able to fly anything. However in practice they're not that big a deal. On a more pessimistic view... having more cases saves you from losing an entire weekend of launching when you tree something.

Plus the motor hardware for each prospective size just aren't that expensive.

TA

Jason, just to correct you, the 38/480 is a #19 nozzle. The 38/740 has a #22.

Aieee....that was me using the EX nozzle rather than the commercial one. Corrected and thanks!

Regardless, these motors are insanely fun to fly. This summer has me pretty much grounded so I'm holding off on purchasing more but if my schedule changes and it looks like i can get some rockets in the air I will be picking up at least the 480 and some propellant and *maybe* a 54/2xxx we shall see what transpires over the rest of the summer!

I'm am a user of the AT spacer system. I have it for 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm. I use them often and I'm very happy with them. They have saved me quite a bit of money in hardware costs. I would welcome the addition of a spacer system to the Loki hardware lineup (especially as I look to expand into the 54mm line of products from Loki).

Obviously there are no spacers available for commercial loads, but if you are going to use your cases for research loads, there are many options. You can have grain length pieces of tubing cut and put them between the forward closure and the forward snap ring to shorten the motors used. I talked with one guy that just glues his grains into the liner tube, tapes over the forward grain hole and assembles them just like the AT Hobbyline E and F motors in the 29/40-120 case. I also talked with one guy that glues a plywood plug into the liner tube so it plugs the tube at whatever height he needs for the number of grains he is using.

If you are Tripoli L2 and flying at a research launch, you could use there techniques with commercial reloads that would then be classified as research motors.

Ok thanks everyone. I just placed and order for a 240ns case and everything else I need for it. Can't wait to start flying some of these loads :):)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Back