Is it a "rocket engine" or a "rocket motor?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there is no right answer to this. I always used this basic idea to differentiate between the terms motor and engine.

If it imparts motion to something then its a motor (The latin orgin of the word to move or mover or equiv.) If it does work without imparting motion then it's an engine. That being said both terms have long ago merged into meaning the same basic thing. There is no correct answer to the question anymore.

I've been an occasional college lecturer for many years (when not busy doing scientific work) and this is the explanation I give my Physics students:

Machine: a device used to transfer energy — for example: a rock, stick, or can-opener.
Engine: a clever device for transforming one type of energy to another — for example, an automobile engine (heat → kinetic) and its brakes (kinetic → heat)
Motor: an engine the primary purpose of which is to put something into motion — for example, an electric motor.

Air Force students objected to me calling jet engines "motors", but they are both, as are rocket engines.

In the professional aerospace world, they are called "solid rocket motors." I've never heard anyone use the phrase "solid rocket engines." And the devices used to initiate combustion are called "igniters."

Don't tell Mr. Ziesloft that - you will get a long argument! And since he was the teacher he was always right.
I studied Radio and Television Administration and Management in college. Mr. Zeisloft was wrong. :)

I've been an occasional college lecturer for many years (when not busy doing scientific work) and this is the explanation I give my Physics students:

Machine: a device used to transfer energy — for example: a rock, stick, or can-opener.
Engine: a clever device for transforming one type of energy to another — for example, an automobile engine (heat → kinetic) and its brakes (kinetic → heat)
Motor: an engine the primary purpose of which is to put something into motion — for example, an electric motor.

Air Force students objected to me calling jet engines "motors", but they are both, as are rocket engines.
...End of discussion....

I studied Radio and Television Administration and Management in college. Mr. Zeisloft was wrong. :)

You are missing the point - when your teacher says it's right, for that class it is right.
I had a senile old chemistry teacher who would make outrageous mistakes in his lectures - like he would tell you an electron was positive. When you showed him that the book said the opposite he would say "that's a misprint" - and move on. When the test came you put down + for the charge of an electron or you were marked wrong :(

You are missing the point - when your teacher says it's right, for that class it is right.
I had a senile old chemistry teacher who would make outrageous mistakes in his lectures - like he would tell you an electron was positive. When you showed him that the book said the opposite he would say "that's a misprint" - and move on. When the test came you put down + for the charge of an electron or you were marked wrong :(

That's an issue you should have taken above his head... Anyways I'd have to say unless you are around people that are into physics or learning new or proper things it's best just to let them call it whatever they want... I call them motors because that's what Aerotech calls them RMS or DMS not RES or DES... If you call then engines I won't yell at you or act like you're an idiot...

That's an issue you should have taken above his head...

Oh they did! The whole situation was quite sad - he was a case of early Alzheimer's. He was close enough to retirement that the district didn't want to fire him. They moved him from High school to Jr High and finally his last 2 years were spent as permanent hall monitor.

I hereby decree that this argument shall be over, for once, for good, for ever, for goodness sake, Amen.

From this moment onwards the item in question shall not be referred to as 'motor' or 'engine', but shall be referred to as "go fast stick" or for Level 3 people "the reason I have to rent my house"

Does it really matter what they are called??? Aerotech calls them motors so that's what I call them.

I hereby decree that this argument shall be over, for once, for good, for ever, for goodness sake, Amen.

From this moment onwards the item in question shall not be referred to as 'motor' or 'engine', but shall be referred to as "go fast stick"

Yes but what definition of "fast" are you using?

fast1 [fast, fahst] Show IPA

adjective, fast·er, fast·est.

moving or able to move, operate, function, or take effect quickly; quick; swift; rapid: a fast horse; a fast pain reliever; a fast thinker.

done in comparatively little time; taking a comparatively short time: a fast race; fast work.

a.

indicating a time in advance of the correct time, as of a clock.

b.

noting or according to daylight-saving time.

adapted to, allowing, productive of, or imparting rapid movement: a hull with fast lines; one of the fastest pitchers in baseball.

characterized by unrestrained conduct or lack of moral conventions, especially in sexual relations; wanton; loose: Some young people in that era were considered fast, if not downright promiscuous.

characterized by hectic activity: leading a fast life.

resistant: acid-fast.

firmly fixed in place; not easily moved; securely attached.

held or caught firmly, so as to be unable to escape or be extricated: an animal fast in a trap.

firmly tied, as a knot.

closed and made secure, as a door, gate, or shutter.

such as to hold securely: to lay fast hold on a thing.

firm in adherence; loyal; devoted: fast friends.

permanent, lasting, or unchangeable: a fast color; a hard and fast rule.

Informal.

a.

(of money, profits, etc.) made quickly or easily and sometimes deviously: He earned some fast change helping the woman with her luggage.

b.

cleverly quick and manipulative in making money: a fast operator when it comes to closing a business deal.

Photography .

a.

(of a lens) able to transmit a relatively large amount of light in a relatively short time.

b.

(of a film) requiring a relatively short exposure time to attain a given density.

Horse Racing.

a.

(of a track condition) completely dry.

b.

(of a track surface) very hard.
adverb, fast·er, fast·est.

quickly, swiftly, or rapidly.

in quick succession: Events followed fast upon one another to the crisis.

tightly; firmly: to hold fast.

soundly: fast asleep.

in a wild or dissipated way.

ahead of the correct or announced time.

Archaic. close; near: fast by.

noun

a fastening for a door, window, or the like.
Idioms

play fast and loose. play ( def 80 ) .

pull a fast one, Informal. to play an unfair trick; practice deceit: He tried to pull a fast one on us by switching the cards.

Fast
One of the options available to the rocket once the motor "currently inert stick" has come up to pressure.
Other options include i) F-All, ii) Slow, iii) CATO and iv) Dude that was F*&%in awesome

Last edited:
In the professional aerospace world, they are called "solid rocket motors." I've never heard anyone use the phrase "solid rocket engines." And the devices used to initiate combustion are called "igniters."

This is how I see it as well. A solid propellant would be a motor. If it has valves switches moving parts liquid fuels then it is a engine.

Is Google really a search engine or is it a search motor?

Without a Google+ account, it isn't much of a search anything.

How many of you out there had to get a tune up for the engine in your motorboat this year?

As to the thread topic, I usually talk about motors, motor mount tubes and motor retention. Somehow, amongst all that, I sometimes use an engine hook. :confused:

I look forward to this topic coming up again in a year or so and not get settled then, either.

The definition I saw above "Motor: an engine the primary purpose of which is to put something into motion", says to me you are all correct! No one is wrong. Nice job guys!!!
If it still bothers folks we could agree to just call them "propulsion devices" and be done with it.:wink:

From this moment onwards the item in question shall not be referred to as 'motor' or 'engine', but shall be referred to as "go fast stick" or for Level 3 people "the reason I have to rent my house"

Hear, hear!

BTW, I buy Estes engines and CTI motors, and they both propel my rockets as desired. Maybe we should call them "propellers." Random House Dictionary 2014, definition #2: "A person or thing that propels."

Propellers it is!

I had a senile old chemistry teacher who would make outrageous mistakes in his lectures - like he would tell you an electron was positive.
I had a course in Electrodynamics with a Physics Professor who was a terrible alcoholic -- a brilliant man when he was young, but his brain had been fried by alcohol abuse. University eventually forced him into ReHab, which he completed, but died six months later. Of course, we callow Undergrads blamed his death on alcohol depletion, and threw a liquor-fueled party in his honour.

This has been a fun thread to read. My understanding has always been if the "thing" uses motion of one thing to create motion is something else, it was an "engine", hence "internal combustion engine". If it just "does its thing" and creates motion, it's a motor, hence "rocket motor". The differentiating idea being the engine has a piston that captures the expanding gas and then uses that to create motion, whereas the rocket motor just expels gas to create motion. Or something, lol. Electric motors which just "do their thing" would be motors under the same logic.

I hear "rocket motor" frequently, I don't hear "rocket engine" that often... *shrug*

Oh the fun of reviving a 6 year old thread on a cold, blustery, snowy day!

I resolved this question to my own satisfaction years ago by looking at the origins of both “engine” and “motor”. Engine comes from ME “engin” which was derived, via OF from the Latin “ingenium”, meaning any clever device, contrivance, or manner of doing something. Ingenious comes from the same source. Motor, on the other hand, comes from Latin mōtor or mover, via movēre or to move.

Since motion is created by a motor my preferred term is “rocket motor”. The original use of the word engine could mean anything from double entry bookkeeping to a catapult but a motor has always meant a manner to create motion ;)

Oh heck I'll throw mine in the noise pile too.

Solid rocket motors (Just stuff inside that burns, if you don't hold em down, they make things move).
Liquid and hybrid rocket engines (Need valves and pumps and other engine-y contrivances to make them work)

Back