What happened to GPSFLight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len_Lekx

Reaction score
(I hope that this is the right forum to post this in. Mods - if I'm wrong, please move it to the correct one... :tongue: )

I've been out of the loop for a while, but have recently started to think about upgrading my GPSFlight hardware. (My recent crash, which destroyed my ST900 transmitter, was a great influence on this decision...)

Unfortunately - all EMails sent to the support address are bounced with a 'mailbox full' message, and the webstore has been 'down for maintenance' for close to a month.

Did they go out of business? Should I think about going with a BigRedBee, an EggTimer, or roll my own?

I think they have moved on. Lots of trouble getting a software license a couple years ago.(ever figure that thing out troj?)

Picked up a Tragic Little Aerospace and am pleased with it so far. About a 2 or 3 week wait but worth it.

I think they have moved on. Lots of trouble getting a software license a couple years ago.(ever figure that thing out troj?)

Picked up a Tragic Little Aerospace and am pleased with it so far. About a 2 or 3 week wait but worth it.

What he said. With the GPS I was able to find a 54mm nosecone in the middle of a crop of knee high corn stalks!!!

Attachments

• 6_27_14_Mongoose_54_L1730_URRF.kml
    78.7 KB · Views: 190
Ww is always a flag if any FW setup properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have been using GPSFlight telemetry since 2006. My first unit was a 900e with optional barometric altitude and temperature modules. The radio was Maxstream OEM and GPS a OEM 15H Garmin unit. It was integrated by a proprietary GPSFlight interface board. I had a lot of trouble with that original unit and had to replace radio transmitters and virtually whole units. In 2009 I purchased a 900e but it had a much more integrated construct with a UBLOX GPS module. This unit is much better. In 2011 I had numerous contacts with Craig Karris, the principal of GPSFlight. Without knowing the exact details, it seems the global economic crisis nearly resulted in the demise of this interesting business. I think the combination of tough economics plus trouble with some of the telemetry boards has resulted in difficulty in supplying products. I have a Tragiclittleaerospace unit and BigRedBee unit. I use the GPSFlight and the other 2 units are backups.

Bob Moore,
Australia (Kite Altitude World record)

Ww is always a flag if any FW setup properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
<offtopic>
What are you talking about? Technically speaking, a properly setup firewall doesn't care what you type in for DNS - it only talks network layer. If you're doing URL filtering or some kind of other content filtering in conjunction with your firewall then it is possible that ww.dot.com might not be "permitted" along with other common prefix/suffix typos.

The categorization of this URL is all dependent on who is doing the site categorization. A quick check shows that OpenDNS, Websense and Macfee's site advisor say that this is a "business" URL. So who knows why this site throws an error but likely it is due to whatever content filtering software or service is being used.

Hope you don't mind that I corrected you - people get grumpy enough with firewalls when they have facts. Back to your regularly scheduled content.

</offtopic>

<also_offtopic>If the domain's DNS is set up with a * wildcard A record, it should resolve to the default host IP if you enter an incorrect host name (I'm assuming that "ww" is an incorrect host name here...). Firewalls and content filters are two different animals altogether, I've been dealing with them for 20 years... they don't always co-exist well with each other, and games played with DNS don't help things either.</also_offtopic)

<offtopic>
What are you talking about? Technically speaking, a properly setup firewall doesn't care what you type in for DNS - it only talks network layer. If you're doing URL filtering or some kind of other content filtering in conjunction with your firewall then it is possible that ww.dot.com might not be "permitted" along with other common prefix/suffix typos.

The categorization of this URL is all dependent on who is doing the site categorization. A quick check shows that OpenDNS, Websense and Macfee's site advisor say that this is a "business" URL. So who knows why this site throws an error but likely it is due to whatever content filtering software or service is being used.

Hope you don't mind that I corrected you - people get grumpy enough with firewalls when they have facts. Back to your regularly scheduled content.

</offtopic>

Back