Paint selection advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsume99

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of painting an Estes D-Region Tomahawk. I just applied the final coat (hopefully) of primer last night. I plan to apply a stock paint scheme. I'm a recent BAR and I've only used Rusto 2X paint however all the colors I need for my DRT are not available in Rusto 2X (missing red and brown). So I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. If I use 2X for a base coat of gloss white can I apply a different brand over top? Maybe Testors? If mixing is not recommend then I'm looking for suggestions of a line of paint that has the selection I need and performs well. I've attached a pic of the stock DRT for reference.
estes_d_region_tomahawk.jpg

I used Rustoleum primer and Testors paints on mine. Testors is great paint and I never had a problem with it but it's too expensive for most of my projects.

I used Testor's as well; however, at my hobby store, they did not have flat brown, so i used gloss brown and dulling spray.

My 20 year old daughter (the artistic one) has just raided my spray cans and declared thaet I don't have any white primer! I am certain that I do, cause i've been using white Valspar from Lowes as the base coat for most all my rockets. And i've been a bit disappointed that it doesn't ever seem to dry. I think I've thrown the can out after the last disappointing use.

She goes to Lowes and picks out a can, and retires to the basement where she is building (wait for it....) Anime costumes and spraying them with Storm Trooper White glossy paint, etc.

She comes up and complains that the primer paint that she sprayed is "awful"... "it comes out stringy" and "doesn't seem to want to dry". "Gee, it's just awful.... can I borrow the car again to go drive to Wal-Mart to buy a can of white primer?"

(Smacks head with hand...)

I'm using Kilz spray primer and Testors paints with great results.

Kilz creates a thick layer (compared to other primers I tried) and hides minor surface imperfections. Good at hiding other colors beneath it, too.

Testors paint is really good. Whenever I pass Michaels, I buy one Testors can with 40% off coupon.

-Alex

I'm using Kilz spray primer and Testors paints with great results.

Kilz creates a thick layer (compared to other primers I tried) and hides minor surface imperfections. Good at hiding other colors beneath it, too.

Testors paint is really good. Whenever I pass Michaels, I buy one Testors can with 40% off coupon.

-Alex

Testor's is good paint. If you can get it at 40% do it. If I were to use it now it would probably be just for color accents. I like Duplicolor because you can adjust the angle of the spray to accomodate which you are painting either vertical or horizontal? The spray fan is very fine mist and seems to coat the surface more evenly.

Testor's is good paint. If you can get it at 40% do it. If I were to use it now it would probably be just for color accents. I like Duplicolor because you can adjust the angle of the spray to accomodate which you are painting either vertical or horizontal? The spray fan is very fine mist and seems to coat the surface more evenly.
I was planning to use Testors as an accent color but wanted to be sure I could apply it on top of a non-Testors base coat of gloss white. I have a can of Rusto 2X gloss white leftover from my last build that I was planning to use. It sounds like I'd be ok doing this, correct?

I was planning to use Testors as an accent color but wanted to be sure I could apply it on top of a non-Testors base coat of gloss white. I have a can of Rusto 2X gloss white leftover from my last build that I was planning to use. It sounds like I'd be ok doing this, correct?

You shouldn't have a problem. Just lay it on in lite coats before building it up / wetting it. If all else you can test the combination of paint on some scrap tubing if you have any laying around.

Back