Aeropack screw retainer issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alethins

Reaction score
I have a 54MM Aeropack fiberglass model retainer and I'm having the hardest time getting it on the mmt... Is there some trick? I'm sanding the mmt and the inner thread of the retainer...

I bought a 75mm version of that retainer recently and it took quite a bit of sanding to get it to fit over the motor tube properly.

I've had a few that according to my dial calipers were incorrectly labeled. If you have access, I'd measure the ID of the retainer and go to the Aeropack website and double check the dimensions. Could also be that the retainers are for G10 FG, and now everything is G12, which is a little thicker.

Adrian

I've had a few that according to my dial calipers were incorrectly labeled. If you have access, I'd measure the ID of the retainer and go to the Aeropack website and double check the dimensions. Could also be that the retainers are for G10 FG, and now everything is G12, which is a little thicker.

Adrian

Well that would be why... It's G12 FB.... So I guess I'll need to be sanding a lot more inside the retainer.... I got it unstuck btw

What rocket, and is it fully built? I typically install aeropacks to the mmt first. I'd still just sand the hell out of the MMT. If you got it on enough to get stuck, you're very close to fitting.

Dude, don't despair, get to work and keep sanding! Like DizWolf said if it's getting stuck you're pretty close.

BTW if you practice a bit with the Dremel, it'll stop sanding unevenly ;)

Use a file. It does not need to be perfect as the epoxy will fill the slight irregularity.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Dude, don't despair, get to work and keep sanding! Like DizWolf said if it's getting stuck you're pretty close.

BTW if you practice a bit with the Dremel, it'll stop sanding unevenly ;)

And the J/B weld will fill any imperfections in your sanding.

Try clamping your dremel to the edge of your workbench. It will make it much easier.

Back