best way to store rockets in the rocket room

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgsmith

Reaction score
I haven't posted too much. I have just enjoyed reading all of the voices out there. One of the topics that caught my eye a few months ago was in regards to storing rockets in a safe, easily accessible, but sort of out of the way. I have a rocket room and seem to always have more projects underway than finished rockets. I considered all of the available options and ideas that many on TRF have suggested. I wanted to share mine with you since it fulfilled many of your requirements and totally met all of my mine:
REQUIREMENTS:
1) Under Budget (a novelty for many Public and Private Institutions)
2) Out of Harm's Way (too many non rocketeers in the house)
3) Flexible, expandable, and secure
4) Makes the wife think that I am a genius
5) Ecologically friendly

and did I say "Free"?

My rocket room is attached to the side of my garage and is separated by a great set of swinging saloon doors that I got from a thrift store. I refinished them and easily attached them to the door frame. These doors alone help my "swagger" as I mentally have to pump myself up for a crucial epoxy pour late at night with the loud 70's rocketry blaring. The room itself is about 8 feet across and a length of workable 12 feet. There was not any room to attach "shelving" to a wall in the traditional sense.

My 12 year old son joined in the process of creating some shelving w/o buying anything, as "free always works for me". We thought of the traditional pvc sort of thing; like in our rocket stands as well as a wooden dowel sort of design.

Finally, with Tyler at my side, we got stupidly creative; since I leaned against that back wall that is up next to the garage. On the peg board, my son has collected an inordinate amount of bicycle inner tubes. Seems it hasn't quite sunk into his mind that in spite of his best efforts to "pretend" that thorns don't damage his bike tubes, he invariably winds up with a half dozen punctures riding directly through the vacant lot on his way to Hobby Town on a regular basis.
Tyler: "so, it's gotta be made of free stuff, right?"
me: "yep, that way it can bypass the Budget Committee".
Tyler: "how bout we make wooden ones and cushion them with chopped up inner tubes?"

we had to pause here to listen to "Landslide" on Pandora.....

Me: "hey, do you still have that pile of bungy cords in your room?"
Tyler: "sure! Do you want them?"
Me: "yeah, go get them!"
Tyler: "are you gonna pay me for them?"
Me: "right...you pay me for all of the bike tubes, and you'll get your bungy money"
Tyler: (BIG) "Whatever!"

So we got some extra eyebolts I had in the tool area and attached them to into the wood above the window frame. Then we grabbed a bungy and looped it through an inner tube and back to the eyebolt. This way, we created three separate stretched inner tubes based upon the length of some of the rockets that we had to get out of the way.
This system is really cool! I can reach up and slide a rocket into one tube, and feed it through the other ones. This way, the rockets are snugly secured in a flexible, cushioned rack that is easily expandable; according to length. The pictures sort of tell the story. The tubes are so tight that when you slide a rocket in, you can slide another right next to it and the tubes will adjust the tension accordingly. Additionally, if it is a shorter rocket, we use only two of the inner tubes, rather than three. I do have enough room to add a fourth tube to the mix, but my biggest rockets have a nice pvc cradle on a top shelf at the end of the room.
In the pictures, you can see the initial steps in my Liberty 4 (Project Name: "Into the Vortex") which is slgihtly over 6 ft. Included is a pretty good shot of the eyebolts above the window. The window is behind the tye dye Hippie Cloth.20140308_205452.jpg20140308_205420 (1).jpg20140308_205435.jpg

This design is really cool! Not only does it keep things safe and out of the way, but it is sort of fun to see the entire structure flex and wiggle when I am loading/unloading projects in and out of it.

Maybe this might work for you!

I tried storing rockets over head once and it worked, but I used some left over nylon shock cord I had. What happened over time was the shock cord left a mark on the body tube, more like an impression of it in the paint? Not sure why, but I ended up taking all the rockets down.

I like your idea. I was considering hanging mine up but using elastic shock cords that have some "give" so the weight of the rocket will be able to relax on it if that makes sense?

Like Afterburner said when you hang them horizontally they tend to get what I call hanger rash but I saw this
last year at Airfest and it doesn't leave any marks. This thing is made to hang shoes but it works great for rockets.

Eggfinder 001.jpg

Like Afterburner said when you hang them horizontally they tend to get what I call hanger rash but I saw this
last year at Airfest and it doesn't leave any marks. This thing is made to hang shoes but it works great for rockets.

View attachment 176294

Bill

where did you get those at? It seems like most department stores would sell them?

Got it off Amazon. Cant remember any details just that it wasn't easy to find.

Back