TLP, (The Launch Pad) Fans Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As luck would have it, a while back TRF Member JP Morgan sent me some Goodies too, and among the Parts was a TLP Nose Cone, the type I need to begin the Tan-Sam Type 81.
He had already added a Paper Hat to it, and quite nicely done too I might add. I was able to remove the Hat, and I will be able to use this Cone to complete the Tan-Sam.
Looks like it's on now!:D
Thanks JP! Sorry I had to undo your very nice work on the Paper Hat.:blush: I just gotta' have Type 81 Missile that flies on 2 D12s.

Last edited:
As luck would have it, a while back TRF Member JP Morgan sent me some Goodies too, and among the Parts was a TLP Nose Cone, the type I need to begin the Tan-Sam Type 81.
He had already added a Paper Hat to it, and quite nicely done too I might add. I was able to remove the Hat, and I will be able to use this Cone to complete the Tan-Sam.
Looks like it's on now!:D
Thanks JP! Sorry I had to undo your very nice work on the Paper Hat.:blush: I just gotta' have Type 81 Missile that flies on 2 D12s.

You do realize of course that you can get those BT-80 plastic nosecones at practically any brick-n-mortar hobby shop with any decent amount of rocket stuff, right?? Those are the PNC-80BB nose cones, "BB" for "Big Bertha", which is to say, the same shape as the BT-60 Big Bertha nosecone, just enlarged to the BT-80 tube size...

You can order them online from your favorite rocket suppliers as well... just look for the PNC-80BB nose cones in the parts section... they usually come two to a pack in fact.

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

You do realize of course that you can get those BT-80 plastic nosecones at practically any brick-n-mortar hobby shop with any decent amount of rocket stuff, right?? Those are the PNC-80BB nose cones, "BB" for "Big Bertha", which is to say, the same shape as the BT-60 Big Bertha nosecone, just enlarged to the BT-80 tube size...

You can order them online from your favorite rocket suppliers as well... just look for the PNC-80BB nose cones in the parts section... they usually come two to a pack in fact.

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Thanks, but live in VERMONT!!!:point:

We only have a couple of "Brick and Mortar Hobby Shops". The nearest one does have some Rockets, but no Pieces Parts. Heck, they don't even carry Composite Motors, nor do any of the other Hobby Shops in this State that I've found.

Other than that I know I can just order them online.

Meow Mixxiles are always an option :).

Short of the one (Phoenix or Maxi Alpha?) that was very similar to a LOC 2.56 in shape, they were the PNC80BB and PNC60BB. Online stores / eBay are best bet for the real thing. People don't build anymore. RTF kits are the biggest movers at the LHS near me. Parts . . . yeah right.

Thanks, but live in VERMONT!!!:point:

We only have a couple of "Brick and Mortar Hobby Shops". The nearest one does have some Rockets, but no Pieces Parts. Heck, they don't even carry Composite Motors, nor do any of the other Hobby Shops in this State that I've found.

Other than that I know I can just order them online.

Okay...

Just trying to help...

I'd have never stripped the tip off a well-done cone that could be used on another build when I could just order more PNC-80BB's from any of a dozen different vendors...

Just my two thoughts...

Later and good luck with your build...

OL JR :)

Okay...

Just trying to help...

I'd have never stripped the tip off a well-done cone that could be used on another build when I could just order more PNC-80BB's from any of a dozen different vendors...

Just my two thoughts...

Later and good luck with your build...

OL JR :)

Thanks.
I was'nt trying to be snarky, it just irks me that folks assume that we have Hobby Shops here in Vermont. We do have like 3, but they are not like you would have in any other State. Some of them have Estes Kits, but have never heard of Composite Motors.
Back before I learned how to use the Internet,(1997-2001), I used to be able to "Special Order" Aerotech Motors from the Hobby Shop in Barre, "Coins and Hobbies", but they did'nt keep them in Stock as a regular Item, and they still don't.
Vermonters are mostly a bunch of dumb Redneck Hicks, and when you mention Rockets or Rocketry, they ask you "what you can Blow Up with those", or "Can you shoot them Horizontally at things and Aim them?"
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one other Member here on Rocketry Forum from Vermont.:(
Vermont SUCKS @$$ for Rocketry in general!!!:mad:

As far as the Cone that I took the Tip off of, it was not filled with any Weight, and I would have had to do it to it anyway regardless of what I was going to build with it to accomodate the right amount of Weight. I have not started the Openrocket Sim on the Tan-Sam yet, but I immagine it will need some.
Also, I'm anxious to build it, and can't be patient and wait til' I can afford some Cones, so I did what I did so that I can start tinkering with it.

Thanks.
I was'nt trying to be snarky, it just irks me that folks assume that we have Hobby Shops here in Vermont. We do have like 3, but they are not like you would have in any other State. Some of them have Estes Kits, but have never heard of Composite Motors.
Back before I learned how to use the Internet,(1997-2001), I used to be able to "Special Order" Aerotech Motors from the Hobby Shop in Barre, "Coins and Hobbies", but they did'nt keep them in Stock as a regular Item, and they still don't.
Vermonters are mostly a bunch of dumb Redneck Hicks, and when you mention Rockets or Rocketry, they ask you "what you can Blow Up with those", or "Can you shoot them Horizontally at things and Aim them?"
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one other Member here on Rocketry Forum from Vermont.:(
Vermont SUCKS @$$ for Rocketry in general!!!:mad:

As far as the Cone that I took the Tip off of, it was not filled with any Weight, and I would have had to do it to it anyway regardless of what I was going to build with it to accomodate the right amount of Weight. I have not started the Openrocket Sim on the Tan-Sam yet, but I immagine it will need some.
Also, I'm anxious to build it, and can't be patient and wait til' I can afford some Cones, so I did what I did so that I can start tinkering with it.

Ok...

Well, as far as "brick-n-mortar" shops go, actually IMHO from my experience you're not missing much... I'm near Houston (45 miles SW) and usually try to hit a hobby shop or two in Houston once or twice a year... there's not much there rocketry-related. I usually just end up getting a tool or two I might find interesting or think could be useful, or building supplies like Evergreen or Plastruct styrene parts, balsa, covering film/trim, adhesives, stuff like that. Most B-M hobby shops nowdays are just focusing on RC stuff... cars, planes, choppers, boats... maybe some plastic scale models... maybe a little rocketry and train stuff shoved back in the corners or along a back wall someplace. RC is where the money's at. Heck most shops I've been to have as much or more KITES and stuff as rocketry stuff... SO basically unless you want the 'standard offerings' from Estes and MAYBE a couple other mfg's (I HAVE seen some Red River Rocketry stuff at the LHS on the north side of Houston, but not much) and are willing to pay a huge markup or at least full retail to buy it "there and then", you can do MUCH better getting stuff online. Hobby Lobby is the main exception, as you can get the regular Estes offerings there with a 40% off coupon, which is the only thing that makes it attractive considering their regular prices, and the occasional closeout or clearance deal, if you can find one. They're also good for building supplies and tools, some of it anyway, and the 40% off coupon is handy for that too...

The LHS's are withering and dying out anyway. Houston recently lost one on the south side over by NASA, and there are basically only 3 other LHS's in Houston that I know of that even carry rocket stuff at all. We DID have a nice "HobbyTownUSA" but that went under years ago, sad to say.

SO, I end up getting MOST stuff online anyway... usually cheaper and easier to boot...

Later and good luck with all those trees... LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

PS. Why couldn't you just add the noseweight in through the base of the BB cone?? There's a hole in the bottom of the plastic cone and you can press/glue the weight into the rounded tip. Personally I wouldn't put it under the paper hat anyway, because it might interfere with getting a good glue joint, or the extra mass might tend to try to rip it off the tip of the cone at parachute deploy, stuff like that... Just askin'...

First I weigh the Clay Recommended Weight and figure out what the Nose Cone is supposed to weigh. Then I write my Target Weight on the Shoulder of the Cone. I drill a hole in the end of the Plastic NC for Epoxy to go through. I fill the entire hat with Epoxy, and press it into position, which forces some of the Epoxy up into the Plastic Cone.
When this is dry, I drill three Holes through the Paper Hat and into the Plastic Cone.
I figure how much more weight I need and pour that approximate amount of Epoxy/#8 Lead Shot through the Hole in the Base of the Cone.
Before this sets up, I Pin the whole thing in place with Toothpicks or Bamboo Skewers. When the Epoxy has hardened I cut off the Toothpicks/Skewers and sand them flush with the Ogive of the Cone.
Does'nt get any more rock solid than that.

For the Tan-Sam, the Clay was missing, so I'll just use Common Sense, and add about 1.75oz of Epoxy/Lead goodness.
It is a simple Design, and I'll be able to Sim it in OR. If it needs more I'll just pour in some more Epoxy.
There is no Paper Hat in this Design, so I'll just drill the three Holes at approximately 45 Degree Angle to hold the Epoxy Weight and use Toothpicks.

Here's a Pic' of my Indigo Nose Cone to give an Idea.

Last edited:
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Tho I am interested now in TLP since you started building them Top!

You and me both! It is as much of a complimentary Term as it could be considered insulting. If you saw me shooting Golf Balls from my Homemade Cannon, you'de see that I live up to that description.:)
You are the one other Member of the Rocketry Forum from Vermont that I referred to.
Do you know of any others? I think we are the only two here.
You are also probably familiar with Coins and Hobbies. Good shop with decent selection of Estes Stuffs, but not even any Pro Series II or 29mm stuff.
The TLP stuff is just plain fun!

I got my Fins cut out and assembled my Motor Mount. I'm using a different style of Retainer Clips than it came with because I like this style better. Thanks for the Clips JP Morgan.
Time to go sand and paper those huge Fins.

Last edited:
You and me both! It is as much of a complimentary Term as it could be considered insulting. If you saw me shooting Golf Balls from my Homemade Cannon, you'de see that I live up to that description.:)
Took it as a compliment Top!
Do you know of any others? I think we are the only two here.
None that post anymore... Heck I can barely string a cohesive sentence together myself
You are also probably familiar with Coins and Hobbies. Good shop with decent selection of Estes Stuffs, but not even any Pro Series II or 29mm stuff.
The TLP stuff is just plain fun!
Been shopping at Coins and Hobbies for 3 decades. Nice wall of Estes,Quest and Custom Rockets, but it mostly trains and RC. I also buy from Turner Toys in Essex (he carries the Pro Series II motors), and he's on my way to work.

Took it as a compliment Top!

None that post anymore... Heck I can barely string a cohesive sentence together myself

Been shopping at Coins and Hobbies for 3 decades. Nice wall of Estes,Quest and Custom Rockets, but it mostly trains and RC. I also buy from Turner Toys in Essex (he carries the Pro Series II motors), and he's on my way to work.

Thanks for the Heads Up! I'll have to head up there sometime and check them out.

If you ever used to shop at Nelsons Ace Hardware you might have met me, as I was the Sporting Goods Dept. Mgr. from 1996 to early 2002.

Sadly, one of the the original Body Tube Segments of the Kit was narrower at one end than the other, and would accept niether Nose Cone nor Coupler.
I had to break out more of the nice BT-80 that JP Morgan gave me.

Just met "adrienwapkaplet" at our local Park where we fly and gave him the SAAB 372 that cavecentral gave me.
Hopefully I've helped create a new TLP Fan!:)

This TAN-SAM Type 81 promises to be perfect since I have this piece of Aluminum Stair Edging to match the Front Fins to the Rear Fins.
The Edging is $9.99 at ACE Hardware, but I used to work there so my old Boss still gives me a Discount. Paid about $4.00 for it. What a great Tool for building Rockets!!!

You're right, TR. It's also a good tool for aligning find between stages as well.

TAN-SAM is looking good, and despite my reinforcements, weighs in at 12.6oz. before Paint.

I like the way the ACME Rail Guides look on TLP Kits. Much more "Missile-esque". I'll be using these on all future TLP Builds.

My TAN-SAM is ready to fly. Chute' and all.
That High Build Primer really packed on the Ounces. She's 17.65 without Motors, and 20.9oz. with.
A heavy Bird for sure, but I have a Rocket that weighs 10.1oz. without Motor that flies on a single D Power just fine, so my guess is this one will be fine on the Two D12 Motors. CG is right at the front of the Forward Fins with the Motors in.
I have the Motors on hand, so this Bird will be flying soon.:)

Last edited:
WOW,you really been into the rockets this summer. Builds and flights. Good for you! Oh..ya..Nice JoB!
Im waiting for a box, should be here Friday.I'm betting whats in the box will break me out of this "ho hum ,whatever" mood and start building again.

WOW,you really been into the rockets this summer. Builds and flights. Good for you! Oh..ya..Nice JoB!
Im waiting for a box, should be here Friday.I'm betting whats in the box will break me out of this "ho hum ,whatever" mood and start building again.

Thanks Scotty.
I'm only getting more and more into Rockets as Time goes on, and there's no end in Sight! I think maybe next Summer I may even try to go do a Level 1 Cert. Gotta' Join NAR and Tripoli first though.:)
I'm definitly going to LDRS in Potter.:D
I've been doing Rockets since 86', but this go around as a BAR is much more fun thanks to the Internet and this Forum/Community.
I hope your Package arrives on Schedule and gets you in the Buildiung Mood. Be sure to let us know what it is!

Here's my Kit Bashed TLP Martel.

[video=youtube;FHFeGZLoORE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFeGZLoORE[/video]

Paul T, "Sodmeister", documented many TLP kits here on TRF. His documentation and embellishments were terrific!

It's a shame he never seemed to fly any of them. Nor show what he used for Recovery Gear.... ???
Heck, some of them did'nt ever even have Launch Lugs/Rail Buttons.???????
I have reviewed all of his Threads, and while I agree his Modeling Skills are incredibly superb, I have to wonder if he ever flew any of them.

Back