Aerotech Arreaux build with mods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
I just got hold of this kit. Needs mods to be different but looking for ideas....

• Kevlar recovery
  • No motor clip or thrust ring so I can use any reload case
  • Keep it 29 mm MMT
  • Aeropack retainer
  • Rail Buttons
  • Ditch the baffle for nomex sheet
  • Std color or different

Measuring out the Aeropack and fin mounts

All glued in place, made it to be one solid unit

1/2'' OneBadHawk 25 feet Kevlar. Simply the best doesn't count, product and service is amazing

Some hardware, stainless quick link, rail button and swivel

Learned this tip with my RC plane, foil tray and thin CA for dipping the end of the tube to strength them. Every tube has been dipped

Everything now glued and shock chord fitted

Madcow Nomex

Just a simple tie on job

Payload bay done, I've use 3 screw to hold the nose cone on

Rail buttons

Done and on the pad!

Pad come spray stand

Filling and sanding

Payload bay done, this 1 whole can of Halfords Gloss black

Waiting for the rain too pass so I can spray some more primer then sand ready for the yellow. I'm hoping to fly this on the 05/06/14!!!

My friend built his stock and it works just fine. I think the Kevlar is overkill for this kit. If you are worried about burning the elastic you can get a Nomex shock cord protector, but the diameter is pretty small adding a bulky protector or thick shock cord just makes it harder to pack. I would eliminate the cooling mesh and go with a blanket like you have already. As far as color something bright so you can see it. Also would probably go with an 18" chute or "X" chute. It will drift a ways. My buddies launched about 2800' on a G64.It's a great flying rocket and boost nice and straight

My friend built his stock and it works just fine. I think the Kevlar is overkill for this kit. If you are worried about burning the elastic you can get a Nomex shock cord protector, but the diameter is pretty small adding a bulky protector or thick shock cord just makes it harder to pack. I would eliminate the cooling mesh and go with a blanket like you have already. As far as color something bright so you can see it. Also would probably go with an 18" chute or "X" chute. It will drift a ways. My buddies launched about 2800' on a G64.It's a great flying rocket and boost nice and straight

Might ask mother to mod the stock chute, cut a spill hole and seam it

Might ask mother to mod the stock chute, cut a spill hole and seam it

You could. I think it comes with a 22" correct? Spill hole would help a lot and keep it coming down nice and smooth. You'll love the kit! We launched about four AT kits and everyone boosted as near perfect as you could get. If you can get some video of your launch.

BTW - Build is looking good!

The Cheetah kit is a great kit too!

You could. I think it comes with a 22" correct? Spill hole would help a lot and keep it coming down nice and smooth. You'll love the kit! We launched about four AT kits and everyone boosted as near perfect as you could get. If you can get some video of your launch.

BTW - Build is looking good!

The Cheetah kit is a great kit too!

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Arreaux

22'' is correct. So what size hole too cut? I'm sure there will be a video. This is the show https://www.woodspringshow.co.uk/ Sometimes it's on local TV

Check Fruity chutes site to get an idea. I think they cut their spill hole at 20% the size of the chute. So 4.4" diameter spill hole for your chute. 22 x .20 = 4.4

Sounds good too me, I will have to ask mother nicely if she can sort this out for me.

Small update...

White primer after a quick 1200 sand, this to make the yellow bright. The white is really thin, will avoid this next time

Time for some color, now the yellow. This is the 2nd dusting coat. It's hot today so this is being left to cook as it be.

Chute time, chute, swivel and quick link. Thinking of redoing this, tie a knot then add quick link then swivel then quick link to the shock chord. I still need to see my amazing mum and have her fit the spill hole.

Please excuses the garden, were mind filling in a massive pond, 2 patios to go in, decking out, new path, grass out it's all go currently.

You're doing a fantastic job on the rocket.

As far as shock cord etc. Just run it through the Nomex. You don't have to tie knot in it. I use a swivel on the chute and a quick link to attach it to the shock via over hand knot to form a loop.

What would look cool would be an "X" chute from Topflight Neon Yellow and black. Probably 18" or 24" depending what you wanted it to come down at.

You're doing a fantastic job on the rocket.

As far as shock cord etc. Just run it through the Nomex. You don't have to tie knot in it. I use a swivel on the chute and a quick link to attach it to the shock via over hand knot to form a loop.

What would look cool would be an "X" chute from Topflight Neon Yellow and black. Probably 18" or 24" depending what you wanted it to come down at.

Thanks for the support, last coat just went on.

Sorry slightly confused with your comment about mounting the cute.

Thanks for the support, last coat just went on.

Sorry slightly confused with your comment about mounting the cute.

Go down about 24" on your shock cord or where ever you want and just tie a knot. By doing so you will get a loop to fasten a quick link to attached your chute, unless you decide to fasten the chute permanently to the rocket.

Nice job Pete. I built mine pretty much stock except for Aeropack retainer, Kevlar shock cord and I put a altimeter in the nose cone and a cable cutter for main deployment. I just did a shake down flight a couple weeks ago and went 2156' and a AT G76. Next will be a I200 and I should get 5000'.:headbang:

What did you glues yours on with?

I used an Estes style 1/4" shock cord mount for the nose cone,thinking the main elastic shock cord attached to the payload bay would take most of the stress. However, the elastic broke on the first flight.:facepalm:

8'' is huge!!! That's like 37%!!!
I did not cut an 8" spill hole:shock: I reefed the lines 8". Just put a wrap of tape about 6-8" above the swivel. This keeps the chute from opening to the full 22" and makes it open about 18" instead. I like doing this instead of the spill hole because I can adjust for altitude, wind and ground hardness for each flight. It does not permanently alter the chute:grin:

How good is the stock engine clip at holding engines in? Does it work to hold in Estes-type black powder motors as well? I just got one in the mail - super stoked to build it - but the stock clip looks a little bit flimsy and I don't want to pay (and wait) for an Aeropack. My local hobby place sells the Estes retainers - would one of those fit on the rear end of this? The body tube seems a bit small...

How good is the stock engine clip at holding engines in? Does it work to hold in Estes-type black powder motors as well? I just got one in the mail - super stoked to build it - but the stock clip looks a little bit flimsy and I don't want to pay (and wait) for an Aeropack. My local hobby place sells the Estes retainers - would one of those fit on the rear end of this? The body tube seems a bit small...

It works just fine...save your money unless you plan to fly it on high power. If you don't want the clip mail it to me I'll use it for sure.

Ditch the clip. That way you can fly CTI motors and Aerotech HPR motors in addition to the Aerotech hobby line loads. I used an Aero Pack on mine, but the Estes retainer will work as well.

The AeroTech motor hook works just fine. My Arreaux has over 50 flights on it, including Estes BP F15 motors, without issue.

A secondary purpose of the motor hook is to align the FIN-LOK rings.

Without the baffle mesh to block some of the hot gasses will that plastic shock cord attachment block hold up? I'd worry about that melting or getting soft and pulling out.

The stock clip has worked well for me, but I have only used it with Aerotech Hobby Loads.

Some people in my club run a zip tie around it for added security against losing an expensive case.

Back