AIRFest XX Projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sittin' in the 3 season back porch, running sims, and having a beer and 'gar.

Do I still count as Midwest crew? :confused::(:)

Oh, i think you do...;) It's kind of like the Hotel California around here: "You can check out anytime but, you can never leave." Later today im going to wrap my first rocket. Its been close to 20 years since i last put stripes on one of my Muscle Cars but, i think i can get this done without too much problem.
I'll leave the details alone until its all done but, the Chicago Rocket Mafia WILL be well represented this year in Kansas.

For a quick inside look go to Stickershock23's website and, click on videos. Check out the one on how to wrap your nosecone. Mark did an INCREDIBLE job on it for me...The rest is now on me.

Evil...:headbang:

Can't make it this year :( my RDO Friday was this week, so I don't get the four day weekend next weekend. But next year, the schedules swap, so it's a possibility?

(On the upside I DO get the Friday before MWP!)

Can't make it this year :( my RDO Friday was this week, so I don't get the four day weekend next weekend. But next year, the schedules swap, so it's a possibility?

Oh, we suppose we'll let you use the job excuse. This time.... ;)

-Kevin

I have just been informed that "THE BOSS" will be serving up Javalina Green Chili stew on Friday night. This stuff is not to be missed! We just added our big stew pot to the new kitchen, so all Airfest participants are invited to partake. Bring your favorite spoon, we will provide everything else.
Not to derail the thread, Today I built my third 75mm motor, a CTI L995 Red Lightning and installed it in the "Red Tailed Extreme". I like the idea of giving this bird a red tail on it's first flight. We started packing the truck today, and will be bringing the trailer over in the morning to do the final pack before we leave on Tuesday.
We shouldn't be hard to find, just look around where Wildman is set up:

Trailer1.jpg

In making final preparations I discovered an issue I hope can be resolved. Needed a new battery.

Last edited:
I've got two research motors ready to go. One is a 98/12,500, N-4000, a little over 14,000Ns. The other is a flight test of the red 54/4000 L/M-1500. It's running at 90% volume loading, has a core length:diameter ratio of 76.6:1, propellant length of 41.9", and is going in a CF MD rocket. It should be pretty sick. :eyepop: I finished machining the grains this morning and a big box of liners arrived an hour ago. I'm good to go!
Here's a few pics.

forward end of grains.
20140826_114241_resized.jpg
Aft end of grains.
20140826_114328_resized.jpg
Next to a 38/240 case.
20140826_114649_resized.jpg

[video=youtube;4P4DhCZF-f8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4DhCZF-f8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Oh yea, I almost forgot! See the revised logo in my signature? I'll have those in 2.5" x 15" stickers at the launch. There are 2 ways to get one.
1) You can get one free with every purchase.
2) You can walk up to my tent/booth/truck area and yell as loud as you can, "Loki Research rocks!!!"

Do one of those two things and I'll give you a free sticker and a smile. :)
Slap it on one of your rockets, bring it back & show it to me, repeat step 1 or 2 above, and I'll give you another sticker and smile. :)
If anybody asks you how/where you got your sticker, tell them how they can get one. ;-)
See you all there!

I've got two research motors ready to go. One is a 98/12,500, N-4000, a little over 14,000Ns. The other is a flight test of the red 54/4000 L/M-1500. It's running at 90% volume loading, has a core length:diameter ratio of 76.6:1, propellant length of 41.9", and is going in a CF MD rocket. It should be pretty sick. :eyepop: I finished machining the grains this morning and a big box of liners arrived an hour ago. I'm good to go!
Here's a few pics.

forward end of grains.
View attachment 182523
Aft end of grains.
View attachment 182524
Next to a 38/240 case.
View attachment 182525

[video=youtube;4P4DhCZF-f8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4DhCZF-f8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Oh yea, I almost forgot! See the revised logo in my signature? I'll have those in 2.5" x 15" stickers at the launch. There are 2 ways to get one.
1) You can get one free with every purchase.
2) You can walk up to my tent/booth/truck area and yell as loud as you can, "Loki Research rocks!!!"

Do one of those two things and I'll give you a free sticker and a smile. :)
Slap it on one of your rockets, bring it back & show it to me, repeat step 1 or 2 above, and I'll give you another sticker and smile. :)
If anybody asks you how/where you got your sticker, tell them how they can get one. ;-)
See you all there!

I'd say that's a tad erosive...

I'll be making an optimized 54-2550 for LDRS, when I order a nozzle and liner set you should toss in a sticker and I'll put it on my rocket. One way or another, I bet it won't be there when I recover the rocket....

From a quiet little tree farm in west central Indiana comes Chicago Fire...A Madcow Frenzy Massive.

View attachment 182609

Holy Cow!:y: It's flying sideways! (No just can't get my $&@?'n I-Phone to cooperate...)

Motivation by a Cesaroni Technology O-3400 IMAX.
Electronics by a Strat and, a Marsa54.
Recovery by Skyangle and, trusty sidekick Manny "Wrecking Ball" Ballestero.
Evidence of the flight by a Goost-R-Vision Camera system and, later to be posted to my humble little You Tube account: (gkpiepenburg) by Sunday evening!

Very special thanks to my good friend Mark Hayes at Stickershock23 for the most incredible wrap! (Not one ounce of paint on her...)
Johnny D at Marsa Systems for the "Custom Work".
Madcow Rocketry.
Wildman Rocketry. (Can't we all just get along?):eek:
And, of course all the nuts, bolts and Doo Hickies from McMaster Carr!

Expecting 24k out of the critter, always a fun ride when the "Unofficial CTI Motor Testing Vehicle" steps up to the stand!;)

Arizona Roy? Got something for you in the trunk of my car...
Wayco? Good luck on your L3 attempt!
Kloudbusters...THANK-YOU in advance for what i know will be another well run event in your backyard...Thats what keeps me coming back every year.:eek:

Everyone drive safe and, have a great time...I'll see you there Sunday!:D

Last edited:
Thank you Claude! :D Wish you could be there too...Should be an easy up and, down...its built like a brick house!

:facepalm: I just jinxed myself didn't i?

A Bob Marley quote might be appropriate here...

"If she's amazing, she won't be easy. If she's easy, she won't be amazing. If she's worth it, you wont give up. If you give up, you're not worthy. ... Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."

Applies equally well to women and rockets ;)

Wayco? Good luck on your L3 attempt! Kloudbusters...THANK-YOU in advance for what i know will be another well run event in your backyard...Thats what keeps me coming back every year.:eek: Everyone drive safe and, have a great time...I'll see you there Sunday!:D

Thanks! update from yesterday, I decided to go for it early and flew my DS Extreme "Red Tailed Extreme" on an AT M1297 around noon. Not only did it fly great, but the Mobius HD video camera got excellent video of the flight. Flew to 13,124 ft. and landed in a sorghum field. Eggfinder made it easy to find about 1.5 miles NE of the launch area. Sharon will try to edit the video later, it's about 30 min. long.

Thanks! update from yesterday, I decided to go for it early and flew my DS Extreme "Red Tailed Extreme" on an AT M1297 around noon. Not only did it fly great, but the Mobius HD video camera got excellent video of the flight. Flew to 13,124 ft. and landed in a sorghum field. Eggfinder made it easy to find about 1.5 miles NE of the launch area. Sharon will try to edit the video later, it's about 30 min. long.

Congratulations Wayne!:D Welcome to "The Club".....if you don't know this is where Wildman throws down an ADDITIONAL 20% off ALL purchases! (Just for being an L3...);)

Seriously though I'm sure your glad it's over and, done with.

Just jumped out of my Semi...looking at a short nap...then it's off like a Prom dress, driving undercover the night...for 11 hours.:eek:

Everyone, be safe and, we will see you in the morning!:eek:

This is not about a "project" but I just wanted to update everyone about my Rocket Raffle for my sister in laws breast cancer. Wildman Tim drew the winning ticket Sunday evening and I finally got through to the winner and informed her, yes HER, that she won the rocket pictured in my avatar. The winner was Shannon Brazel of Crane Texas. It's only fitting that this rocket went to a woman and she was very excited to hear the news. My sister in law and I would like to thank everyone who participated in the raffle which raised over $500 and a big thanks to Kloudbusters for all their hard work in putting on yet another great Airfest.

Congratulations and glad to hear the EggFinder made the recovery job easier. Kurt

This is not about a "project" but I just wanted to update everyone about my Rocket Raffle for my sister in laws breast cancer. Wildman Tim drew the winning ticket Sunday evening and I finally got through to the winner and informed her, yes HER, that she won the rocket pictured in my avatar. The winner was Shannon Brazel of Crane Texas. It's only fitting that this rocket went to a woman and she was very excited to hear the news. My sister in law and I would like to thank everyone who participated in the raffle which raised over $500 and a big thanks to Kloudbusters for all their hard work in putting on yet another great Airfest.

Hell of a Brother in Law! Way to go.

Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I decided to go for it early and flew my DS Extreme "Red Tailed Extreme" on an AT M1297 around noon. Flew to 13,124 ft. and landed in a sorghum field... Eggfinder made it easy to find about 1.5 miles NE of the launch area.

Congratulations!

... Not only did it fly great, but the Mobius HD video camera got excellent video of the flight. ...Sharon will try to edit the video later, it's about 30 min. long.

:pop:

Anybody get pictures of my min dia N6000 that flew off of Pad 88 around 9:45am Sunday? I will be very appreciative.

Anybody get pictures of my min dia N6000 that flew off of Pad 88 around 9:45am Sunday? I will be very appreciative.
Steve,

I did. I won't be able to process them until the weekend, though. Too much other stuff going on - decompression, work, unpacking, etc. I'm not even sure how they turned out. BTW, the flight was more like about 10:20 IIRC, my flight was right before yours and was at straight-up 10AM. Mine was the M650 in the min. diameter 3" Wildman.

--Lance.

Not exactly a project, but I did get myself, Sharon, the truck, the trailer and all our rockets home safely today. Tomorrow I will start a thread about our Airfest XX adventure.

Not exactly a project, but I did get myself, Sharon, the truck, the trailer and all our rockets home safely today. Tomorrow I will start a thread about our Airfest XX adventure.

Yay! The fans are waiting ...

Kenny

Back