AIRFest XX Projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
AIRFest XX will take place August 29, 2014 through September 1, 2014 at the Argonia Rocket Pasture.

People always have special projects ear-marked for first launch at AIRFest. Whether it is a certification flight, large up-scaled rocket, extreme speed or altitude, your first multi-stage or cluster rocket, your first EX motor or whatever - we see tons of COOL and REALLY COOL rockets at Argonia.

If you're bringing something to launch that you would like to preview, drop in a photo and description of your rocket. Or if you already have a thread somewhere else on TRF, link it in here. Size, speed, altitude or impulse doesn't matter - let's see the AIRFest XX fleet!

We want to know about who's coming and what you're bringing.

--Lance.

Last edited:
No pictures to post (because we don't have any - gotta start building, first!), but we're planning a little 24" airframe on a cluster of four Ns.

-Kevin

Summer build project. Upscale of another LPR scratch design I did a few years ago. Fins were done by Tim "Wildman" Lehr on his CNC equipment from a .dxf file I sent him. Motor will be a 2 grain 98mm EX (most likely Everclear). Projected performance is currently 11,280' @ Mach 0.91

Pre-L3-02.jpg

Pre-L3.jpg

No pictures to post (because we don't have any - gotta start building, first!), but we're planning a little 24" airframe on a cluster of four Ns.

-Kevin

Yeah, looks to me like you have a ways to go yet.

Jim

Kevin Spotted.jpg

Planning to bring four birds planning two flights for each, first low and slow then go for the gusto. Two previously built and two currently on the workbench. First off will be the MC HV Arcas, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62328-Madcow-2-56-quot-ARCAS, leaning towards the CTI J600RL for ~8500' @ Mach 1.05. (1st supersonic flight, 1st flight over 1 mile AGL)

Next will see my L2 bird, RW Formula 98 last flown in Argonia for my L2, main flight planned is on an AT K185 Longburn to ~4900'. (1st "K" motor)
I am doing a PML Explorer kitbash specifically to fly the AT I59. Looking for ~6500' well under the published Mach limitations of QT. (An ode to my L1 rocket)
Last but not least, currently building a MC 54mm fiberglass Tomach. This is my first attempt at minimum diameter and doing a T2T layup. All, or at least most, of the necessary building materials have been acquired, but I am taking my time with the design to make sure I don't do anything senseless. Especially working hard trying to decide where to mount the Aero Pack so everything fits right, I have a CTI 54mm 6G but think I will mount it with the intention of flying the 6XL and using the AP standoffs for the 6G. I'm not sure about what first motor, but for the main flight I'm between a CTI K260 Longburn to ~17600' @ ~Mach 1.17 or the new CTI K711 to ~15800' @ ~Mach 1.55. (1st MD flight, 1st flight over 2 miles AGL possibly 3)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there! :grin:

I've got quite a few flights planned this year!

The big one is my 75mm minimum diameter project that's going to attempt 30,000' on an AT M685W. Hand rolled fiberglass tube, 1/8" G10 fins w/ t2t carbon. Single separation point - cable cutter dual deploy.
75mindiameter.jpg

Also planning on flying:

4"/75mm Level 3 rocket - L900DM
Polecat 5.5" Nike Smoke - K1100T
Wildman Darkstar - J570W
Estes Fatboy - I357T & H45W (if I have time)

nikesmoketay.jpg
toofasttay.jpg

I'm bringing a 54mm MD 2stage - CTI L935 to Loki K350. Just a tad over 7' tall total, should weigh 16-17 lbs. loaded. Simulations show best case 46,000'. It's not worthy of pictures quite yet, will post when it gets closer to time.

Last edited:
AirFest will see the first launch of “Ascension” a two stage 29mm Black Powder rocket.

My first “K” motor launch using “Reckless Endangerment”.

First launch of Mini-Mag + “Resident Evil” = “Alice Kills Them All”.

“Tri-Fecta” Two stage rocket using 3 24mm booster tubes, each with its own single fin.

These and many more.

And no; I don’t have any pictures because I refuse to drop $200+ into yet another digital camera with a life expectancy of a Mayfly.

You know, it really doesn’t matter if the camera has the finest German or Japanese optical glass if it also includes the usual cheap Chinese made electronics.

Rant Button now in off position.

No new big projects ready yet. But working on another two stage Der Red Max. This one will fly with 2 D's. Should be a nice high flight for a standard size Red Max. Building a BT-80 size Fat Boy with either single 24mm or 18mm cluster. Not decided yet.

Will have enough to keep me busy for the entire weekend.

Also gotta shop at the various vendors.

See ya there,
Rod

4" min dia composite-cased N motor, composite fincan, 13% Al, shooting for ~42,000' at around Mach 3. Test flight to prove the concept for the flight of the 5" at Balls.

plan to bring my mean machine.
5.5 x 253 inch ,48 # loaded -flown once at LDRS
R R M M.jpg

Thanks Tim. It was my first flight in years, talk about jitters.

For Airfest-
I am planning on bringing a new launch pad with a 24 foot 15-15 rail and can bolt on 10-10 if needed. I'm building it now (my son is actually doing most of the building - give him credit) so hopefully it will be ready.

Any one who likes low and slow or long burn motors but didn't quite make stability off a 10 foot rail, rerun your sims.
this may be your chance to fly them.
It's not meant for huge rockets with Ns+, but I think 70 pounds with an M795 should work. ( or something like that)

Here's a link to drawings, file is too big to upload here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/soqws1sdozjn8cd/Launch Tower - Set up.PDF

Just two flights planned; an N in the 6" upscale Arcas and an M in a Concept 98.

P1060446.jpg

....or not.

Because we have a rocket, we have motors....but some idiot (me) spaced and didn't file Class III paperwork. :facepalm:

And we won't claim it's something it's not. It's a Class III motor, in aggregate, and requires paperwork. No paperwork, no flight.

Next year.

-Kevin

....or not.

Because we have a rocket, we have motors....but some idiot (me) spaced and didn't file Class III paperwork. :facepalm:

And we won't claim it's something it's not. It's a Class III motor, in aggregate, and requires paperwork. No paperwork, no flight.

Next year.

-Kevin

BUMMER!

Tim,

See attached picture of my case for my Airfest motor - perhaps this helps explain better why the relatively high chamber pressure won't be an issue.

photo.jpg

Look forward to seeing you out there - assume you'll be hanging with Chuck, Justin and the rest of the Midwest crew?

-S

Tim,

See attached picture of my case for my Airfest motor - perhaps this helps explain better why the relatively high chamber pressure won't be an issue.

View attachment 181913

Look forward to seeing you out there - assume you'll be hanging with Chuck, Justin and the rest of the Midwest crew?

-S

Now that is manly hardware!!!

Tim,

View attachment 181913

-S

Nice motor you have there!

The Midwest crew looks to have a weak showing this year. Justin isn't going along with several other 'usual suspects' :(

Nice motor you have there!

The Midwest crew looks to have a weak showing this year. Justin isn't going along with several other 'usual suspects' :(

Yes, I too am Airfest-challenged this year with a long lost friend coming to visit us over Labor Day this year. I'll just have to live vicariously through photos until 9/2015.

This week I have been gradually prepping all seven of the rockets I'm taking to Airfest. Wednesday I assembled the J430 White Thunder, using the new tapered aft retainer for the first flight of the Blackhawk 54 "Silver Streak". Attached all the extensions for the Aeropac MD internal retainer and screwed it into the fincan. Put a new battery in with the Stratologger and pull tested all connections. Opened up the N/C and checked the voltage on the Lipo battery. Turned on the Eggfinder and checked operation with the RX and Android. Put it all back together and back on the rack.
Opened up the Lil' Rascal and checked the Eggtimer connections. Added e-matches to the charge cup and cable cutter, hooked them up and cycled the Eggtimer. Got good beeps and the "ready" light came on. Slid the N/C back on and built a CTI I165 C-star for it.
Yesterday I built K650 Smokey Sam for the 4" X-Celerator "Rapiditty". Added fresh batteries for the Stratologger and RRC3. Added e-matches to all the charge cups and checked connections. Cycled both alt's and got good beeps for continuity. Put it back together and set it with "Silver Streak". Pulled down the DS Jr. It had not been flown, so it still had an I366 Redline in it. Checked avbay connections and battery voltage. Re-assembled it and added it with the others.
Today I opened up my 5" Jart, "Jughead" and repacked the main and drogue. Checked battery voltages for the Stratologger and RRC2+. Pull tested all connections then added e-matches to the charge cups. Cycled the alt's and got good beeps. Slid an empty AT 75/5120 casing in and tucked the drogue nomex pouch around it. I'm picking up a CTI L1115 from Wildman at the launch for this rocket. Should push it up over 12k ft. I will be checking the Eggfinder to see if I can get signal at that altitude.
Built an L935 for the 3" DS "Blackstar" and installed it in the rocket. Opened up the avbay and installed fresh batteries for the Stratologger and RRC3. Tied them down and checked all the connections. I considered adding charge cups to the avbay bulkplates, but decided to put it on my "to do" list instead. Put everything back together and added it to the growing pile.
This evening Sharon and I will do a dry run with my 4 page checklist on the DS Extreme "RED TAILED EXTREME". I have the motor for it's first flight, an L995 Red Lightning, but don't plan to build it until I get to Airfest. I think I'm ready for my L-3 flight, but want to put one flight on this new rocket before my attempt. I also have the M1297 for the cert. flight, but won't built that motor until I'm there.
Sharon has five more rockets, and with my seven we will be doing good to get everything launched during the three days we plan to fly. Monday, we signed up for range duty. After we are done with that, we will be leaving with our new trailer and driving to Tucumcari, NM.

Back