Maine Missile Math & Science Club 05 JULY 2014 INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAC of MMMSClub

Reaction score
Hi All,

Let us celebrate independence day by launching some rockets.

Who can sneak this into the three day weekend?

DUE TO THE STORM AT SEA: THE LAUNCH IS MOVED TO SUNDAY 6 JULY!

Last edited:
No going away plans, but not sure if there's a cookout at a nearby relative's house. I'm a maybe.

I will be heading back from URRF and a week with relatives in Syracuse on the 5th, so I won't be able to make it for this launch.

Scott has asked me to post here to try and get a headcount for Saturday's launch.
Arthur is moving up the coast and could dampen things possibly even postpone it to Sunday.

We'd like to get a good gauge of interest to see how hard we push for a launch.

Please either post a reply here or PM me. If you know someone who might attend but isn't on TRF, please contact them and have them let me know.

Thanks,

Hi All,

Just to hit it again, due to storm at sea, we will go on Sunday 6 July, hope this makes more happy than not.

I plan on making it this Sunday. I'd much rather fly with 10 mph winds than 20 mph.

We ended up with a pretty good day for the few flyers that could show up. Sunny with few clouds and somewhat less wind than Saturday would have given us.

Due to a little flooding in our usual launch area, we moved out to the hub of the center-pivot irrigation system where we used to launch. The wind varied and gusts were frequent but it was constantly from the same direction all day. The dozen or so flyers made the needed adjustments and nothing flew off the field; there were a few long walks but even that wasn't so bad with the low humidity.

There were a total of 34 flights (not too bad for a short-scheduled launch) from B-impulse up to K. No certification flights but Rex flexed his newly obtained L1 as did Stuart with his Jr. L1. Howard flew the K in his Darkstar Extreme. Guy, two different Bills, Alex, Jim, Royce and Andy kept me somewhat busy at LCO throughout the day. Kevin did show up just before the end of the day and got two flights out of an Estes RTF he had picked up at HL the day before. Sorry to those whose names I missed.

Scott had the grill going so we all had burgers to fill us up. The location that was the Pepperland Café has reopened as the Thistle Pig and seems pretty good. I'd recommend trying it again for the next scheduled launch in two weeks.

But did they have parsnip cake?

Sadly, they did not have parsnip cake; the young waitress didn't even know what it was when we asked (complete change of ownership and staff).

There was a banana/caramel cake that Guy had, a yogurt/custard concoction that none of us ordered and the chocolate/stout cake that both Jim and I had. We all made good choices. I felt I had to try some dessert as that is such a requirement for some but I also felt I had the Points+ available as the soft-shell crab sandwich I had was rather reasonably sized.

mmmmmmmm parsnip cake.

It looked like a good day for flying even though the winds were a bit stiff at times! Glad you all had a nice time! Maybe next month I can fly something!

How was the traffic on the way back?

After dinner, I headed to the coast on 236 to check out the card tables at Ocean State Job Lot. I-95 South was packed and moving very slowly. I had no desire to sit in that for the 5 miles to the toll so I took back roads home after I found out the tables were sold out in that store.

Traffic should be better on the 20th. I'm sure you'll have a few rockets on hand as you won't be shipping your entire basement to NARAM.

Traffic was not too bad heading back on Rte 125 and Rte 101 in NH. A little heavier than a normal summer Sunday evening, but nothing causing delays.

Kenn, I should be stopping by the OSJL store in Peterborough on Friday. I can check about card tables if you send me the info on the one you are looking for.
If I can pick one up, I can bring it to Acton.

Guy, the two tables that CMASS uses for RSO and LCO are showing their age. I was thinking of checking out the 34" folding table shown at the bottom of page 11 of this week's flyer.
I'm going to try to get to one or two other stores to see if they have stock. I'll let you know if I haven't found something by Friday.
Thanks for looking.

Back