New DMS loads and Super Thunder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlbaum

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to demo a couple of DMS motors at Mudroc 2014. I tried the I69 motor in a minimum diameter 54mm rocket. I was a little nervous as the rocket weighed in at 6.5 lbs liftoff weight. But the I69 had no problem lifting the rocket safely and cruised out of sight while still burning. That was a long burn motor!!!
Next up was the H550 Super Thunder DMS motor. I was very excited about this new motor. Again I used a minimum diameter rocket. I was pleasantly surprised with a very fast motor that shot out a brilliant blue flame. Super Thunder is similar to CTI's Vmax in thrust but also has a brilliant blue flame to wow the crowd. I don't know how Aerotech pulled this one off but Super Thunder is the go to propellant for speed with an adjustable delay. Best of all it is available in the DMS line which means you don't need to use hardware. There is nothing hard about "DMS". Warp 9 is still the fastest but must be used with electronics because it is only available in "plugged" motors. I was very impressed with the new Aerotech products. I only hope that they will produce many more pleasant surprises for us AP junkies.

Clear Skies!

I had the opportunity to demo a couple of DMS motors at Mudroc 2014. I tried the I69 motor in a minimum diameter 54mm rocket. I was a little nervous as the rocket weighed in at 6.5 lbs liftoff weight. But the I69 had no problem lifting the rocket safely and cruised out of sight while still burning. That was a long burn motor!!!
Next up was the H550 Super Thunder DMS motor. I was very excited about this new motor. Again I used a minimum diameter rocket. I was pleasantly surprised with a very fast motor that shot out a brilliant blue flame. Super Thunder is similar to CTI's Vmax in thrust but also has a brilliant blue flame to wow the crowd. I don't know how Aerotech pulled this one off but Super Thunder is the go to propellant for speed with an adjustable delay. Best of all it is available in the DMS line which means you don't need to use hardware. There is nothing hard about "DMS". Warp 9 is still the fastest but must be used with electronics because it is only available in "plugged" motors. I was very impressed with the new Aerotech products. I only hope that they will produce many more pleasant surprises for us AP junkies.

Clear Skies!

Hey Karl. Any video of your flights?

As long as there's competition, there will be new products. We're a lucky bunch!

Gents, there is no I69- Karl meant the I65. I verified with Gary Rosenfield.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Gents, there is no I69- Karl meant the I65. I verified with Gary Rosenfield.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I assumed that's what he meant. Otherwise, I would have them....

Back