Electric Igniter / Electric Match at Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inyodog

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these. I just came across this at Amazon.com. Good price.

Electric Igniter / Electric Match (Fireworks, Pyrotechnics, Survival Fire Starter, Model Rocket Igniter) 100pk

Last edited:
Just at first blush, the specs look very similar to those sold here by Jim.

Looks like they're dipped and everything. At this price, I wouldn't mind getting some to test and see how they work.

All the best, James

Standard Chinese ematches. Expect a failure rate of 0.5% - 1% at best, even if continuity tests good.

Kevin O

Kevin
How do you know these are Chinese. Where do MJG, Pyrodirect, and Crazy Jim's igniters come from? I figured they all came from China.

MJG is the only manufacturer who makes matches here in the US. They recently bought Seminole Wire, a top of the line product. The wire on MJG products is yellow and has a polarity stripe, while the Chinese matches are orange, no stripe, and have a smell of phenol from the insulation.

MJG makes both the J-Tek matches and the new Firewire 'consumer legal' matches. So, PyroDirect's matches come from MJG. Any of the orange wired "ejection lighters" probably come through Ebay, direct shipped from China.

Kevin

I've used these some in the past. Pretty cheap, but have not had failures. I honestly mostly use them for non-critical applications: ebay testing, ground ejection charge tests. I may use them in flights, but only in redundant setup with a JTEK on the other altimeter. Never thought to look at ebay for these, nice tip. Is there anything you can't get from ebay? LOL. This vendor has some great prices:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/wsmartboundless?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
only 1 foot long, but as little as 12.5 cents each in qty 1000, 3 foot long ones will set you back 22.5 cents each in qty 1000.

Last edited:
I have seen many flights with these matches and not a single failure to attribute to the match. The cheapies from China work!

I have seen many flights with these matches and not a single failure to attribute to the match. The cheapies from China work!

I concur, dozens of flights with the "lighters" CJ sells, and never had a misfire. Pretty sure these are the same. Sorry CJ, just ordered a hundred, hope this doesn't ruin your sales.... I have been burning them up this year, between testing and flying, I used the first 75 I got from CJ in about 6 months. Never had one fail to light.

FWIW, I'll sometimes burn through 1000 matches in an hour for pyrotechnic performances. There are always a few "orangies" out of a thousand that fail to work properly - they test OK, and the bridge wire burns, but the pyrogen doesn't initiate. The failure rate for MJG matches is around 1 in 10,000.

I'm not criticizing anyone's product here - just relating my experience.

KO

Something else to consider...

We (understandably) complain about government regulation of our hobby.

How much of a favor do you think we're doing ourselves when we knowingly purchase items like that where it's quite fair to assume that they're not being shipped properly, or legally? DOT and the Postal Services are two government agencies that are the least restrictive. If we want to keep it that way, I'd suggest that people buy from vendors and manufacturers who are playing by the rules, lest we risk more government intervention.

Yeah, it may drive up your match price by a quarter or fifty cents each. But in the grand scheme of what we spend on the hobby, that's peanuts.

-Kevin (whose view, I'm confident, won't be popular....)

I do not disagree with you. I am afraid for the first person who gets caught. Ignorance as an excuse rarely works.

Something else to consider...

We (understandably) complain about government regulation of our hobby.

How much of a favor do you think we're doing ourselves when we knowingly purchase items like that where it's quite fair to assume that they're not being shipped properly, or legally? DOT and the Postal Services are two government agencies that are the least restrictive. If we want to keep it that way, I'd suggest that people buy from vendors and manufacturers who are playing by the rules, lest we risk more government intervention.

Yeah, it may drive up your match price by a quarter or fifty cents each. But in the grand scheme of what we spend on the hobby, that's peanuts.

-Kevin (whose view, I'm confident, won't be popular....)

I agree, but I've beat that drum before and folks don't seem to care. I use ematches under licensed conditions, and buy them legally.

The MJG consumer legal ematches are going to be the new standard. From all reports they function just like a JTek. Who cares if they're a buck a whack? For rocketry, that's nothing.

Kevin O

The MJG consumer legal ematches are going to be the new standard. From all reports they function just like a JTek. Who cares if they're a buck a whack? For rocketry, that's nothing.

I'm thrilled to see MJG come out with this product, and I plan to buy them as well as encouraging others to do the same.

-Kevin

Good info here - thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I emailed the seller of three different products on Amazon. They all order from China manufacturer or are a manufacturer from China.

Do those MJG igniters fit in estes motors? It looks like those crimped ones might. I am looking for something to use for clusters because q2g2's are tough to get. Thanks, Eli

MJG is the only manufacturer who makes matches here in the US. They recently bought Seminole Wire, a top of the line product. The wire on MJG products is yellow and has a polarity stripe, while the Chinese matches are orange, no stripe, and have a smell of phenol from the insulation.

MJG makes both the J-Tek matches and the new Firewire 'consumer legal' matches. So, PyroDirect's matches come from MJG. Any of the orange wired "ejection lighters" probably come through Ebay, direct shipped from China.

Kevin

Actually there is (perhaps was) a manufacturer in Montana that makes e-matches right there. He got into the business just to supply fireworks companies. Good matches; I've never seen a problem with them.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 7 years, and looking for ematches for missleworks and adept altimeters, and I have no idea what today's regs are like. Can someone point me at ematches that work with these altemeters that don't require hasmat or anything like that? (I don't want to do a "roll your own") Thanks in advance.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 7 years, and looking for ematches for missleworks and adept altimeters, and I have no idea what today's regs are like. Can someone point me at ematches that work with these altemeters that don't require hasmat or anything like that? (I don't want to do a "roll your own") Thanks in advance.

Welcome back!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ulated-ematches-coming-from-electricmatch-com has info about some easy to buy e-matches.

I think your other option is https://www.questaerospace.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=7025 when they get back in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Sad that the ATF and Lawsuits put an end to a quality product.

Back